ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Classmate Profile data

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/11/12 02:09 PM Views: 1240 Replies: 7
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM

A classmate without an email address asked that we add data to his profile page. This has been done. The strange thing is that his name appears in the PROFILE UPDATE box and when you click on his name, the pertinent data appears. However, when selecting his name from the CLASSMATES PROFILE box on the left - none of the data appears when you click on his name. His last name is Arcieri should you want to check it out and let me know what I have done wrong. Many thanks.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM - Response #1

Hi Nancy,

The Classmate Profiles page is used as a way for classmates to find and register with the site, so, unregistered classmates' profiles are replaced there with the link to join the site. If you want to be able to view the classmate's profile there, you'll need to create an email address on their behalf if they won't do it themselves, and then register with the site as if you were that classmate. You can get free email accounts at yahoo.com or gmail.com.

The only proviso is that you should both inform the classmate that you have done this and place a notice on their profile that informs anyone who may wish to reach them that the email address associated with that account is held by someone else on thier behalf and messages may not be delivered.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM - Response #2

This doesn't go along with what has occurred in the past. Previously, I have completed the profile for a classmate - no email address was given - and when you click on their name the profile I put on comes up. Additionally, why would the profile appear for Arcieri when you click on his name in the PROFILE UPDATE box - with all the information we just put on BUT NOT when you click on his name under CLASSMATE PROFILES? Are you not directed to the same page for both of these?

This is the link when clicking on Arcieri in the UPDATED PROFILE box: http://www.classcreator.com/Oak-Park-IL-Oak-Park-River-Forest-1961/class_profile.cfm?member_id=2605125

This is the link when clicking on Arcieri in the CLASSMATE PROFILE box: http://www.classcreator.com/Oak-Park-IL-Oak-Park-River-Forest-1961/class_profile_empty.cfm?member_id=2605125

Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 12:01 AM - Response #3

Nancy,

The main field that the Classmate Profile page uses to tell if there is profile data to be displayed is the COMMENT field. If it is blank, it shows the class_profile_empty.cfm page. If there is something in the COMMENT field, it shows the class_profile.cfm page.

I added a comment of "no e-mail address" to the classmate's COMMENT field. It now works as expected.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM - Response #4

Thanks, Kyle.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM - Response #5

PS. you can change the comment to whatever you want, but it needs to exist.

Friday, January 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM - Response #6

I'm going to do this for all classmates that don't have e-mail. Can I use the same e-mail address for all of them?

Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 9:34 AM - Response #7

I think you can enter classmate profile data WITHOUT actually entering an e-mail and doing the Classmate Wizard for the classmate. Just make sure you put information in the COMMENT field of the profile AND on the Manage Classmates, Enter/Edit Classmates page, check this option:

Show Admin-entered Classmate Profile details prior to Classmate joining the site.
   Show only to logged-in Classmates
   Show to the public

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.