ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Uploading videos to profile from file vault

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/10/16 09:31 PM Views: 2109 Replies: 17
Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 9:31 PM

The way it appears to me, there is no way to upload a video from one's computer to one's profile, only a link to a video on YouTube or Vimeo. Is this correct? If so, is there a way to link to a video in the file vault? I have a flash video, an flv file (could also change it to a larger swf file), that I'd like either to be able to upload to a user's profile page or at least to link to it from the page. IOW, is there a way to link to the file vault rather than to a website using the profile video uploader?

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 10:33 PM - Response #1

There is - with some caveats.Wink

Playing videos comprises two steps. One is a place to store the video and the second is playing that video on a page.

Uploading a video to the File vault is easy. Just upload it. However, there is no program from CC to play it. Here's where the other sites are useful. Besides giving you free storage, they also have code to play the video.

YouTube, Photobucket, Vimeo and others make this real simple. YouTube (by far the largest/popular) is directly supported by CC profile code and is probably the most flexible method since the others tend to use Flash and that is no longer viable on a lot of devices (iPhone, iPad, etc).

There's a little trick you can use to EMBED the code from those on a profile comment to play the video there. IOW paste the code as a profile "comment". YouTube can be directly pasted inside a profile area, bypassing CC's method.

If you really want to upload/store the video on your own site, then you need to add HTML5 video code linking to the video in your file vault (within the formats supported by HTML5 standards/browser - see link below). Some browsers play SWF/FLV file directly (IE) but others do not. You could also install a player in the file vault, but that's a bit involved.

Here's how to do this with HTML5 with formats given LINK

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 11:45 PM - Response #2

Thanks. Looks like YouTube is the easiest way to go.
However, if the classmate does NOT want his video on YouTube and we want to use the HTML method you link to, can that code still be entered as a comment? Doesn't look like it. Where would we enter that code in a profile? Or would that just be for creating a separate page and then linking to it? Can comments contain html code? Links?

Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 12:05 AM - Response #3

Pretty sure you can put -most- HTML in a comment post. Things like scripts and CSS can not be entered, but HTML5 code probably works.

Profile areas only work with 'some' things. Comments are more forgiving.

I've done some of this (entered iframe/embed/flash code) but need to see if HTML5 works. Need a video file. Maybe can use the demo from that site?

Let me check. Sends out a notice to my class and they'll wonder what I'm doing.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 12:14 AM - Response #4

HTML5 video in a comment works - for example this code works (from W3schools)

In a profile area, CC system is parsing content and adding things to make it not work.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 11:35 PM - Response #5

Thanks -- especially for trying it out.
The other question I had, however, has still not been addressed. That is, can I link to a file in the file vault instead of one on the internet. Or, what is the url for the file vault? Anyone? Brad?

Friday, February 12, 2016 at 12:35 AM - Response #6

To go to your file vault - edit any page, click on the link button (second row, third from the right), and click on the File Vault button. Click on the file you want to reference. Click on the "Preview" button. If your browser can handle (or has an add-on to handle) that file type, it will display or play.
In any case, it will display the url to that file in your browser's url line.

Edited 02/13/16 9:52 AM
Friday, February 12, 2016 at 12:50 AM - Response #7

John answered how to get the URL to the file vault.

Yours will be something like this:

http://www.flhs61.com/000/2/7/0/17072/userfiles/File/YOURVIDEO.xxx where xxx is MP4 or OGG

Jerome (Jerry) Liebowitz wrote:

That is, can I link to a file in the file vault instead of one on the internet. Or, what is the url for the file vault? Anyone? Brad?

Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 12:10 PM - Response #8

Thanks. It worked fine in the "comment" box under a profile. That classmate will put it up under his profile later on -- after he re-edits his PowerPoint file and we convert it to an MP4 file. (BTW: It's for another CC site of ours, not this one.) And I was able to change the html code to make the video 600 pixels wide (instead of only 400).

For all your information, though: we tried adding it to a "comment box" within the profile, but, as you said, it was less forgiving. I got this comment: "No video with supported format and MIME type found." So, I guess we cannot link to an MP4 file from the profile itself, only from a "comment."

Thanks again for all your help.

Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 12:14 PM - Response #9

Yes, the code strips and adds code - effectively breaking it.

You could post and ask for CC to make ALL comment areas behave the same way Idea

I think a YouTube link stays intact though. It does when entered in the profile.

Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 8:39 PM - Response #10

I just got the new PPT back from our classmate and converted it to an MP4 video. But this time I am unable to get the video in the comment box to work. Although I added the same code:

I now get the video player to show, but an error message saying: "No video with supported format and MIME type found."

I checked the file vault, and the video is there. And I got the correct url for the video.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

(NOTE: As I said before, it is not for this site but another site which is still a "free" site and does not support this forum.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited 03/05/16 8:40 PM
Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 9:38 PM - Response #11

Video for some reason has encoding not recognized by FF decoder and some of the other browsers.

I uploaded to YouTube creating a video that is more flexible for being played on almost all devices. Plus takes no file vault space Cool

Use this link and use Share/Embed/ select the size you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzC8rrJnGWA

I can remove my version or leave it. Up to you if you want to create your own YouTube copy.

(FYI video is 'unlisted' which means it can not be found without a direct URL)

Edited 03/05/16 9:40 PM
Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 10:23 PM - Response #12

Thanks. I understand how to set up a YouTube video. What we wanted was to upload a video (MP4 or M4P) to our class creator site and have it play in a profile comment section. I was able to do that a few weeks ago with your help. Now, when I uploaded the new one, it no longer works. As a last resort we can go to YouTube. But, do you have any idea why it worked before and not now? I believe I used the exact same code. Is it the browser, as you suggest? I think I used FF back then, too. But if it won't show in FF, then I guess we have to go to YouTube.

Also: Please leave the video on YouTube for the next few days, so I can have my classmate see it for himself to decide if he wants it on YouTube. Then we can upload it on our own so it has his name instead of yours. Wink

Edited 03/05/16 10:25 PM
Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 10:45 PM - Response #13

Yes, as I mentioned, the way it is encoded (as an mp4) is not recognized by decoders in the browsers. It works in Edge, Opera and Safari. So the others either have a newer decoder or they changed it and made a mistake Wink

Don't know what settings you used, but you can try to change some of the values if they are different from before.

.. But, do you have any idea why it worked before and not now?

Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 10:00 AM - Response #14

Thanks. I guess we can't use that code if many members have FF or IE. And, no, I didn't change the code from before. What you sent in your earlier reply (#14 on 2/11/16) is what I used. I just changed the width to 640.

BTW: When I tried it in IE, I got a message that it is an "unsupported video type or invalid file path." It does work fine in Edge, but in Chrome I get the player but no video! Go figure.

Edited 03/06/16 11:46 AM
Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 11:50 AM - Response #15

Jack,

Thanks again for all your help. I've already uploaded the video to YouTube and linked to it from the video section of my classmate's profile. All is OK this way, so you can delete it from your YouTube site.

It is disturbing though that FF and IE could change the way they handle the

Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 12:43 PM - Response #16

Different devices, operating systems (and different browsers) are often able to handle many different audio/video files types - but not all of them.

There's a free and popular open source audio/video player called VideoLan that will handle most audio/video formats, and can be installed under most operating systems. And it includes an add-on to most browsers so they will also handle most audio/video files. Check it out here: {LINK}.

VideoLan will take care of problems you've seen as you access different audio/video files, but... like other things, what you can see and do may not be what your users can see and do unless they add similar apps.

Edited 03/06/16 12:45 PM
Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 1:08 PM - Response #17

I meant the program used to create the video (not the HTML code). There can be compression settings, etc. Sort of like ZIP files. Not all zip files can be read by all unzip programs.

And, no, I didn't change the code from before. What you sent in your earlier reply (#14 on 2/11/16) is what I used. I just changed the width to 640.

Edited 03/06/16 1:08 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.