ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

obits (again)

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/30/09 09:10 PM Views: 1860 Replies: 9
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM

-I have this title way too often-
Just a silly question. When you mark someone as "In Memory" does this stop emails to them? I do not want to send an obit notice to someone that may be picking up the deceaseds emails.
Thanks

Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 1:07 AM - Response #1

No it does not. While it may sound strange initially that we would send out site wide emails to deceased Classmates, it is extremely common for somebody to be getting those emails still, such as a son or daughter. In fact many times sombody continues participating in the site using a deceased Classmate's login, such as a son or daughter who wants to hear Classmates' memories about their mother or father.

If you don't want the email to go out to deceased Classmates and you're sure nobody is still using the account, just remove the email address.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 9:21 PM - Response #2

Brad,
I am going to have to think about that. I am not sure how I would feel if I was picking up those emails. How does averyone else feel about that?

Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 9:36 PM - Response #3

The Email The Class, Select Classmates screen already has the deceased classmates marked with "**", so you should be able to tell which ones have e-mails addresses that will be sent the e-mails.

If you don't want your deceased classmates to receive e-mails, just change their profile so there is no e-mail address (like Brad said above)

Brad, There is a "Select All", "Unselect All". Maybe there could be a third option "Unselect Deceased". Just an idea - don't need to implement it unless you like it.

Edited 10/01/09 9:38 PM
Friday, October 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM - Response #4

Kyle,
Thanks for the help. Give Brad more stuff to think about! We have 6,000 emails! I guess instead of deleting each email of anyone in "In Memory" I will just wait until the email bounces. I just felt a little funny when I get an obit and then sending it to that persons' email. Weird! We have had some problems with people being on the list that did not belong there.
And more things for Brad to think about ...
We just get more complaints when people receive the obits. They all say the same thing "please take me off the obit list". On the flip side when I send an obit I always send the link to that persons' profile. Our stats go up right after sending an obit. I am really hoping that we get the 2 emails soon because I feel bad when people asked to be "taken off obit list". I do not want to bother people with unnecessary emails -in their opinion. Other people really like that we do this so I do not want to stop either. We need the support of everyone because we want money from them to support our scholarship program. Our dues are only $10 but it adds up!
Brad any idear when the 2 emails will be done? -I will not hold you to it!

Kyle Erickson wrote:

The Email The Class, Select Classmates screen already has the deceased classmates marked with "**", so you should be able to tell which ones have e-mails addresses that will be sent the e-mails.

If you don't want your deceased classmates to receive e-mails, just change their profile so there is no e-mail address (like Brad said above)

Brad, There is a "Select All", "Unselect All". Maybe there could be a third option "Unselect Deceased". Just an idea - don't need to implement it unless you like it.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 11:33 AM - Response #5

We have several upcoming tasks about emails, can you tell me specifically what you're referencing by "the two emails soon". What are the two emails and how are you envisioning them working? You may be referring to something already on the Task List, I just want to be sure.

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 5:38 PM - Response #6

Brad,
I tried to find the thread but I could not. I believe you told me that we would be able to send just obits to everyone from a seperate email. At least that is what I heard. My idea was I could then send annoucements from one email and obits from the other. I have a lot of people that do not want obits but want annoucements. I believe that you told me this was in the process. I am right?

Friday, October 2, 2009 at 7:50 PM - Response #7

No it will not be a separate email address, but what you might be referring to is the upcoming Mailing List module, where you can make an obit list and email only to those people who want obits.

Sunday, October 4, 2009 at 11:26 AM - Response #8

Brad, thats it! When (approx) is that coming. I get a lot of complaints about the obits.

Sunday, October 4, 2009 at 11:35 AM - Response #9

I don't have a specific ETA on mailing list module, but it's coming up after a few major features we're developing now. Rough guess though, about 14 weeks based on the current Task List.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.