ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Map request

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/28/12 03:19 PM Views: 1453 Replies: 8
Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Hi;
I had one of my classmates request a map of "where we USED to live" - is it possible to add a map of our town and have people map out where they lived during school?

Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 3:41 PM - Response #1

It is possible to do such a thing, but only if you invest the time to learn how to use the application interface to google maps or some similar system such as mapquest. There is no mechanism extant within our system to allow mapping of arbitrary data other than the classmate addresses or the reunion location.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 3:51 PM - Response #2

Thanks - I didn't want to add it to the site but promised I'd ask for him. I guess he will do the Google map thing, and we can put a link to it on our page.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM - Response #3

Actually - the Google map thing with a link on our website is working out very well for us. Fun thing is: people are adding places that were meaningful to them as well. We've had people highlight the streets where there they delivered newspapers, where their elementary school was, etc.

I still wish there was a way to make a poster of the location map on the website "Where we are now" map. We'd like to take it to the reunion. I've tried, and unless I enter all the addresses individually into another map site, we can't do it.

Friday, June 29, 2012 at 8:46 AM - Response #4

Judy L. Haccou wrote:

Actually - the Google map thing with a link on our website is working out very well for us. Fun thing is: people are adding places that were meaningful to them as well. We've had people highlight the streets where there they delivered newspapers, where their elementary school was, etc.

I still wish there was a way to make a poster of the location map on the website "Where we are now" map. We'd like to take it to the reunion. I've tried, and unless I enter all the addresses individually into another map site, we can't do it.

Hi Judy,
I took a quick look at your site, yet was unable to see the map.If it is hidden, would you allow us to view it - even for a short time?
Appreciate it!

Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM - Response #5

Here's a link directly, skipping the reunion website:
http://goo.gl/maps/0OcU

It's only been available for about a day and a half, but we're hoping for more participation. Our reunion is next week!

Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 2:29 AM - Response #6

Thanks, Judy! I saved the info and will check it out soon! Please let us know how the participation grows.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM - Response #7

Judy Gwen - Gwen we know each other, and Judy, I'm just down the road from you (or your former HS in Sunnyvale. Similarly, we have had a lot of class member travel, and was asked if we could post a world map allowing classmates to pin "I've been there" or similar...so classmates could exchange ideas and thoughts about their past (and maybe future) travels. Gwen - one more quick note - the 62 class at our HS is doing something interesting. They've got their original cross country coach, who's about 75 now...and they're asking the Cross Country team to come out to the "ole track" and run, walk, hobble, wheel chair it around the track - and with extra credit that one classmate has a 54 corvette that will be the 'pace car' - truly creative idea ... but as usual, I digress Wink Back to the map - any ideas how we can do this?? I don't know how you, Judy did the Google map thing, but I guess there might be some instructions - I'm not a programmer, "don't play well" with API's or javascript or other tools ... Dick

Edited 08/16/12 8:08 PM
Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM - Response #8

Dick, I have to thank you for a well-timed laugh. "don't play well" in reference to programming made me laugh!

I love the idea, Dick. If there isn't an easy one, wonder which of our techy admins could whip one up...
Cool Okay, one can dream...

Edit add: Hey, Dick, there is an interactive tutorial. Did you take a look at that? Use the link Judy provided. It is at the top of the left column. I'd look.... but I'm in a fix here and can't take on another task at this time. Let us know if you find a way to make it happen. Smile

Edited 08/16/12 8:43 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.