ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Home page gap and not centered

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/19/12 01:34 PM Views: 1579 Replies: 7
Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Happy Holidays!
Brand new to the site....hope to 'go live' in early January, but am having 3 problems with Home Page
development. I'm not very techy...apologies:
1. seeing large gap between contents and announcements
2. how can I change announcements from double-single space?
3. the website appears on the left of the background instead of centered in background
Help!

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM - Response #1

1. I removed the gap. You could have just clicked at the end of the content on the Home Page content editor and kept hitting backspace until the empty space was gone.

2. When working in the page editor, hitting Return or Enter tells the editor to start a new paragraph. Paragraph spacing is larger than line spacing. If you want to just break the line and start a new one without starting a new paragraph, hold the shift key down when you hit Enter or Return.

3. The pages of our site always align to the left side of the window.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM - Response #2

Thanks so much!
1. I had tried to hit backspace until the space was gone, but for some reason...it didn't work. Also, I had originally typed directly into page editor when setting up the page, and read about the hard space/space key problem. So, I removed and saved the changes. However, now, whenever I open the page editor,
those issues reappear, as does the gap?!
On a Mac, is it better to compose on pages, then hit the source button to add to page editor to eliminate
the problem?
2. Will remember the 'shift key' hint!
3. I looked at other websites, and figured that out; since this help forum is centered, I just assumed that all websites would be centered on the page. Duh!
Again, very much appreciate your quick response!!!!

Edited 12/19/12 3:58 PM
Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 4:13 PM - Response #3

If you hit the spacebar more than once in a row, the editor will interpret that as a hard space. If you click Source, you'll see the characters   everywhere there is a hard space. If you have trouble getting the content to wrap, then makse sure there are spaces in the source view between hard spaces.

There is no particular reason to edit in Pages. The content editor on the website has tools in the toolbar that will allow you to do most all of the formatting you'll need, and it doesn't make any difference whether you're using a Mac or a PC.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM - Response #4

Please know how very grateful I am for your suggestions - particularly regarding the shift key and spacebar!
After working on developing this Home Page for the majority of the day....I am happy to report that I was able to finish it!
As a retired nurse with little computer experience, setting up this website has been made much easier by a friend's encouragement and help, reading the FAQ and forum hints, and your assistance.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM - Response #5

Eric, just a dumb question, but why do we have so much open area on the right side of the website?

Andre

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM - Response #6

Because the site content area is sized to allow users with older, smaller monitors to use it without having to scroll around. If you'd like it to appear larger, just use the CTRL = (equal sign) key combination in the browser to zoom in. CTRL - (minus or dash) will zoom out.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM - Response #7

Jan Garver wrote:

After working on developing this Home Page for the majority of the day....I am happy to report that I was able to finish it!

Hi Jan. Congrats on getting your home page finished... for the moment. You might want to take a screen shot of your home page showing the site as it is now. It may grow and grow so in 2013 that you'll have forgotten how it all began.

Happy Holidays!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.