Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Problem with New Message Indicator

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/30/20 10:48 AM Views: 460 Replies: 5
Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 10:48 AM

Hi All,
Wondering if anyone has come up against this. One of my classmates sees a
new message indicator but when he goes into his messages he cannot find a new message. I told him to check every message to make sure it is not a new reply. Also had him refresh the page, log out and back in, but the new message indicator is still there.
I searched for an answer in the forum but didn't find one. Can anyone help?
Do you think IT intervention is needed?
Thanks so much.
Camille

Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 4:33 PM - Response #1

Camille,
You may want to send him a TEST message (via Message Center under MEMBER FUNCTIONS) and let him contact you back when he receives it. I have had a problem such as you described once or twice in the past and did send a message to the classmate. Received a return message (from the classmate that it was received). Hope this helps.

Sam T.

Edited 01/01/21 12:39 AM
Friday, January 1, 2021 at 9:37 AM - Response #2

Thanks for your response but the issue is not that he cannot receive messages. He can. But for some reason, his new message indicator is on when he no longer has a new message waiting.

Friday, January 1, 2021 at 1:29 PM - Response #3

Tell him to page back through all his old messages. I'm guessing that he got a reply to an old message which he can't see on the screen's latest list.

Monday, January 4, 2021 at 3:42 PM - Response #4

Hi John, thanks for the suggestion, but he swears he has done this multiple times. He is trying to delete all his old message threads but is unable to because of this.

Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 3:12 PM - Response #5

I can't think of any reason that a hidden new message (or bogus indicator) would keep him from deleting old message threads. Class Creator can log in as him and see what's going on - if they ever respond to your forum post. Or... if you can convince him to temporarily change his password to let you log in you might be able to see what the problem is.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.