ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Admin Database [opt-in]

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/02/13 12:21 PM Views: 1265 Replies: 32
Monday, December 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I would be curious to know if other admin's would be interested in, and, would/could CC create a database of Admin's who would be willing to share their name and email address [or other information] that our fellow admin's could search to contact each other when another admin was passing through their area? The admin would have to opt-in to such a database.

While searching the 'Find a School' link could provide some help, we all know that some admin's are not in their hometown anymore, and such a database would provide faster communication between the admin's.

By simply having the database sorted by state then city, one admin could make contact with the 'distant' admin and set up a date, time, and place to get together.

Any other admin's see the advantage of this?
Would you participate?

Thanks,
Steve

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM - Response #1

I think this is a splendid idea Steve. Let's see what everyone has to say.

I'd like to take it a step further even. When opting into this I'd like to include two checkboxes:

Allow other Class Creator Class Administrators to see my contact information.
I am available to be a Class Creator tutor and train new Class Administrators

This second option we've seen happen many times recently. I.E. an experienced admin has gotten together in person with a new admin and helped the new admin learn the system. I've also seen admins doing this over Skype and similar services. I've seen some charge a fee for the tutoring service, which is perfectly fine with us if somebody is willing to pay it. A lot of people just appreciate having the helping hand.

Anyone who has been here long term is familiar with how the system has changed. We've tried to keep things simple of course, but there's a great deal here and much to learn -- especially with the new Class Connection Facebook app launching shortly. Admins willing to assist other admins is super helpful and of course also promotes Class Creator and helps us grow.

On our home page we could include a "Find a Class Administrator" feature that brings people into this searchable database.

Can I get a count of how many people are interested in being part of such a database, and if so, would you check the first box only, or would you check both?

Steve, thanks for the excellent suggestion!

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM - Response #2

As you know, Brad, there are 4 of us CC Admins who found each other in Austin, TX. We'd meet monthly at Mozart's Coffee Shop to discuss ideas, features, hiccups, etc. Two Admins have now survived their 50th Reunions so we have taken a breather from getting together. I'm gearing up for our 45th in June 2014 and need to return to a Support Group. Long way of saying, "yes, good idea!"

Thanks for reminding me, Steve. If nothing else, get on that motorcycle and come on up to Mozart's in Austin!

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM - Response #3

Sure, Steve. I'd be happy to help with this. Let me know what you need.

dave

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM - Response #4

I'd be happy to help also. I'm in MA and have used the site for five years. I only have the basic version but am available to help any new users.

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM - Response #5

Sounds like a good idea. Count me in.............!

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM - Response #6

Great idea! count me in.
My time is split between NC, WI and AZ.

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM - Response #7

Count me in too!

Brenda

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM - Response #8

I'm in, sounds like a great idea to me, I can use all the help I can get ....

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 4:06 PM - Response #9

Count me in -- love to see you in Philadelphia!

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM - Response #10

I like the idea.

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM - Response #11

I would be glad to be part of all of the options. Even though my HS is in Jacksonville FL, I live in Metro Atlanta.

JohnB

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM - Response #12

I agree wholeheartedly with Debbie! Place my check marks in BOTH boxes. I think we admins really help each other and stick together!

Double Check!!!

Steve

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM - Response #13

I would be happy to be involved, and answer Yes to 'both' questions. The second question to assist others is fine, but I would likely have to work out weekend assistance since I am still fully employed.

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM - Response #14

Count me in. This is a very good idea.
Jimmy

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM - Response #15

Yep...count me in..I like the idea.Very Happy Not sure about both boxes..The first one for sure. I will be relocating next year. I'm here in IL now but moving to Vegas. God Willing!!

Edited 12/02/13 8:43 PM
Monday, December 2, 2013 at 8:27 PM - Response #16

I think it is terrible .. JUST KIDDING! I love the idea. I'm in. While you are in the thinking phase, would like to run an idea by everyone: I'd like all Admins, to think, consider, and have the option, not for co-admins, just Admins, to have an option in our Admin Profile, to allow other Admins, to view our sites, then be able to communicate and share, w/o having to go thru the asking to be a guest member, etc. Just thinking out loud. What does everyone else think?

Monday, December 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM - Response #17

Ken Roberts wrote:

I think it is terrible .. JUST KIDDING! I love the idea. I'm in. While you are in the thinking phase, would like to run an idea by everyone: I'd like all Admins, to think, consider, and have the option, not for co-admins, just Admins, to have an option in our Admin Profile, to allow other Admins, to view our sites, then be able to communicate and share, w/o having to go thru the asking to be a guest member, etc. Just thinking out loud. What does everyone else think?

KEN: I have read your posting over an over just to make sure I understand what you are asking.

I have Come up with the same answer being an admin an have the ability to look at some else site with out being a guest member would give you authority to add or delete, change any thing on that individual web site I have several individual who are Admin of there site, an guest members on my site as I am a guest member on there site
I have to say NO to your suggestion

Edited 12/02/13 8:50 PM
Monday, December 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM - Response #18

Good news and bad news on this question:

GOOD NEWS: The Class Connection app already does this. You can visit any site on the system, and message any other admin (or classmate) who allows it. This is the new "Visit Other Classes" feature and you'll be seeing it in just a few weeks.

BAD NEWS (or good news depending on how you look at it): This won't be available on Class Creator for awhile. But ultimately most of the ideas from Class Connection that everyone came up with (thanks beta users) will also make the Class Creator system.

Class Connection gave us a chance to program a more robust, complete system from the start. To do this on Class Creator some of the core system structure needs to be rewritten. It's normal -- just indicative of a grass roots system that grew. We'll be doing all we can in 2014 to pull any cool new stuff from Class Connection (like the new visit other classes feature) over here. For the moment if you're going to be using the app, you'll be able to do this right now.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM - Response #20

I am impressed by the number of responses is less that 24 hours to this idea!
I understand that this would be a 'back-burner' item for CC, and would not expect the feature to be made available overnight, but I think it has potential.
I also got to thinking; Would it be easier for CC to start this by simply having a page where admin's could opt into such a group, and simply use something like the 'Show Classmates on Map' feature, that would automatically capture the mailing address of the admin to locate them on the map? {Just thinking out loud. You guys know the logistics and programming stuff.}
[And as a beta tester for Class Connection, I am anxious to see it become available to all as well!]

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM - Response #21

Brad Switzer wrote:

GOOD NEWS: The Class Connection app already does this. You can visit any site on the system, and message any other admin (or classmate) who allows it. This is the new "Visit Other Classes" feature and you'll be seeing it in just a few weeks.

Brad,

A couple questions to be clear for all on this topic: "Visit Other Classes" feature:

1) Currently, we (admins) can visit another class sites by clicking on the "Visit Site" button to the left on other admin posts; AND we can leave the admin a message using Contact Us.

2 How much of another class site will we be able to see without logging in as a member/guest? In other words, will "restricted pages" continue to be restricted, as well as profiles?

Admins, if I have missed a question important to you, please feel free to post it below.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM - Response #22

STEVE STEIN wrote:

I also got to thinking; Would it be easier for CC to start this by simply having a page where admin's could opt into such a group, and simply use something like the 'Show Classmates on Map' feature, that would automatically capture the mailing address of the admin to locate them on the map?

This list was started on TAP 09/24/2011. It is an opt-in site for all admins. Currently, 187 admins have chosen to share their location. Smile
www.theadminsplace.com

Thanks for asking for asking for the info, Steve.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM - Response #23

Ah, "Show Class Administrators on Map"! Love it! That's a great idea Steve. Adding this to the task. Thanks.

STEVE STEIN wrote:

I am impressed by the number of responses is less that 24 hours to this idea!
I understand that this would be a 'back-burner' item for CC, and would not expect the feature to be made available overnight, but I think it has potential.
I also got to thinking; Would it be easier for CC to start this by simply having a page where admin's could opt into such a group, and simply use something like the 'Show Classmates on Map' feature, that would automatically capture the mailing address of the admin to locate them on the map? {Just thinking out loud. You guys know the logistics and programming stuff.}
[And as a beta tester for Class Connection, I am anxious to see it become available to all as well!]

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM - Response #24

1) Yes. Class Connection just makes it that much easier to "Visit another class", simply select the school and year you're wanting to visit, and "Go". Then your actual Message Center can be used to communicate across classes with either admins or other classmates.

2) Yes. All privacy and security settings are honored. If Admins sharing with Admins on Class Connection becomes popular I'm sure we can devise a way in Phase II to share restricted pages with other admins if desired. For launch though it's the same as going to any other class currently. Again just an easier and more robust mechanism for doing so.

Gwen Corey wrote:

Brad Switzer wrote:

Brad,

A couple questions to be clear for all on this topic: "Visit Other Classes" feature:

1) Currently, we (admins) can visit another class sites by clicking on the "Visit Site" button to the left on other admin posts; AND we can leave the admin a message using Contact Us.

2 How much of another class site will we be able to see without logging in as a member/guest? In other words, will "restricted pages" continue to be restricted, as well as profiles?

Admins, if I have missed a question important to you, please feel free to post it below.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM - Response #25

STEVE STEIN wrote:

I would be curious to know if other admin's would be interested in, and, would/could CC create a database of Admin's who would be willing to share their name and email address [or other information] that our fellow admin's could search to contact each other when another admin was passing through their area? The admin would have to opt-in to such a database.

While searching the 'Find a School' link could provide some help, we all know that some admin's are not in their hometown anymore, and such a database would provide faster communication between the admin's.

By simply having the database sorted by state then city, one admin could make contact with the 'distant' admin and set up a date, time, and place to get together.

Any other admin's see the advantage of this?
Would you participate?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, The "database of admins opting in for sharing their information" already exists and is TAP "The Administrator's Place". AND the Map feature built into all CC sites including TAP shows the location of WHERE the ADMINS RESIDE. So how is what you are asking for different? I joined TAP voluntarily by opting to be a member for the very purpose of connecting with other CC Admins, additionally MY LOCATION information was optional and I provided it voluntarily.... so what is unique to your request that I am missing?

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM - Response #26

Maria, that's an accurate observation. TAP serves most of the things Steve listed. I'd say all, but it's early.

Gwen, TAP is very different from the FB thing in the details. If anything, CC could take TAP over as special subset of this forum. I wouldn't shut it down.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM - Response #27

Brad Switzer wrote:

I think this is a splendid idea Steve. Let's see what everyone has to say.

I'd like to take it a step further even. When opting into this I'd like to include two checkboxes:

Allow other Class Creator Class Administrators to see my contact information.
I am available to be a Class Creator tutor and train new Class Administrators

This second option we've seen happen many times recently. I.E. an experienced admin has gotten together in person with a new admin and helped the new admin learn the system. I've also seen admins doing this over Skype and similar services. I've seen some charge a fee for the tutoring service, which is perfectly fine with us if somebody is willing to pay it. A lot of people just appreciate having the helping hand.

Anyone who has been here long term is familiar with how the system has changed. We've tried to keep things simple of course, but there's a great deal here and much to learn -- especially with the new Class Connection Facebook app launching shortly. Admins willing to assist other admins is super helpful and of course also promotes Class Creator and helps us grow.

On our home page we could include a "Find a Class Administrator" feature that brings people into this searchable database.

Can I get a count of how many people are interested in being part of such a database, and if so, would you check the first box only, or would you check both?

Steve, thanks for the excellent suggestion!

Brad, not to belabor my above post to Steve, but the voluntary database where we can opt to share our information with other CC Admins is TAP. Complete with the MAP feature that shows where we reside. Members that participate on TAP do help to tutor new admins when the need is made known. I personally have helped several admins with tasks such as uploading their class list, editing a page, formulating a survey, etc. Although to me joining TAP was obvious it was for learning and sharing with other CC Admins, and I know we have discussed whom wants and has the time to be a mentor to other admins so I am sure we could add the additional question you posed to the profile generator of TAP... "I am available to be a Class Creator tutor and train new class administrators."
The only thing lacking is the link on CC to click to FIND A CLASS ADMINISTRATOR that automatically brings everyone into TAP where they 'have the option to opt in or not'. Fortunately, I found TAP via a post on CC Help Forums, but a direct LINK built into the modules of CC would be excellent.
So to directly answer your questions, Yes and Yes... I am already doing both by being a member of TAP and participating on TAP.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM - Response #28

Marla, Gwen, what we need is more individuals to log in to Taps on Wed, night Very Happy

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM - Response #29

Hi Bill,
To clarify for anyone on CC that may not know... you are referring to TAP "live chat" on Wednesday nights (8:30pmET). And more do as they have the time and need. A direct link on CC directing all CC Admins to TAP for the option to join would help to increase the Wed night chat numbers of individuals. We have hit the limit (20 persons at one time) in live chat several times during the last year, and the number of attendees seems to coincide with upcoming reunions of members, new tools / abilities offered by CC, and seasons of the year. This time of year around the holidays is slow due to the distraction of the holidays and also less class reunions are held during this time of year. The upcoming launch of FBCC (facebook class connection) will definitely be a hot topic on TAP, so I would expect the numbers of individuals in TAP live chat to increase at that time. And hopefully we will be able to expand our limit of individuals in TAP live chat from 20 to a much higher number soon. Which means we might have to move from the flash based chat to other options, but we are definitely thinking ahead to expand and any suggestions you all might have are definitely welcome. Thanks!

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM - Response #30

We fully support TAP of course, and encourage participation. The TAP forums and especially the live chats that take place there on Wednesday nights are terrific. The mission of TAP should continue just as it is. Building a "Find a Class Administrator" feature on Class Creator is in no way intended to "compete" with TAP in any way.

Having said that, it won't make good business sense for us to build the "Find a Class Administrator Near You" feature on TAP (or attempt to use the current tools there now for this). This needs to be a custom coded feature that runs on Class Creator where it belongs, complete with all of the features to volunteer to add your name, contact details, and set the permissions of findability you're interested in. Further info regarding whether you're available for coaching, etc. will be added. If we're going to do this, then we need to do it properly.

From the searcher's side, the Class Admin database needs to be searchable by state, city, and school. This is all custom coded and needs to be precisely what is needs to be to fulfill its purpose to its peak ability.

It's almost strange to be writing a post here that even suggests any kind of "competition" with TAP. But again, it simply wouldn't make good business sense to put the feature on TAP -- especially for new users/new searchers who are just looking for an admin near them. We can't send them somewhere else, where they have to join something else, to be able to take advantage of this. That would be a very poor usability decision.

I want to restate: Class Creator adding an "admin near you" database feature in no way is intended to compete with TAP or anything happening there. We love TAP and think it's awesome admins get together to help each other there. But the feature in question here absolutely belongs as a native Class Creator feature available to all directly from within the Class Creator system. There's numerous reasons we wouldn't want to do it any other way.

Very sorry if this rubs anyone involved in TAP the wrong way, but we have to make decisions on behalf of all of the users of the system, including future users who are coming on board every day. Hope everyone involved in TAP understands. All of you folks are awesome and we hope you'll continue using TAP exactly as you are now to share and spread knowledge for the benefit of all.

Edited 12/03/13 8:44 PM
Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM - Response #31

FYI we can set the live chat attendee limit to anything you want.

Marla Bryan wrote:

Hi Bill,
To clarify for anyone on CC that may not know... you are referring to TAP "live chat" on Wednesday nights (8:30pmET). And more do as they have the time and need. A direct link on CC directing all CC Admins to TAP for the option to join would help to increase the Wed night chat numbers of individuals. We have hit the limit (20 persons at one time) in live chat several times during the last year, and the number of attendees seems to coincide with upcoming reunions of members, new tools / abilities offered by CC, and seasons of the year. This time of year around the holidays is slow due to the distraction of the holidays and also less class reunions are held during this time of year. The upcoming launch of FBCC (facebook class connection) will definitely be a hot topic on TAP, so I would expect the numbers of individuals in TAP live chat to increase at that time. And hopefully we will be able to expand our limit of individuals in TAP live chat from 20 to a much higher number soon. Which means we might have to move from the flash based chat to other options, but we are definitely thinking ahead to expand and any suggestions you all might have are definitely welcome. Thanks!

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 10:51 PM - Response #32

TAP Live Chat attendance numbers do not need to be changed at this time. Will advise if that changes.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.