ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

how to get announcements higher on home page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/09/15 06:51 PM Views: 898 Replies: 3
Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 6:51 PM

Is there a way to have the announcements show up toward the top of the home page after removing most of the home page content?

I've created several announcements with start/stop dates to automatically change some info while I'm away. When I remove almost all home page text and put everything into several announcements, they only show up at the bottom of the home page after the right-side items. I've limited the size of some tables. Is there a way to have the announcements show up at the top when there is no-to-little home page content?

We're preparing for our 50th reunion in October and there is one deadline that will pass while I'm gone & I wanted to replace the announcement that has that info with another announcement with updated info.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance you can provide.

Mark Abrams www.woodwardclassof65.com

PS our classmates are astounded at what CC functionality has done for improving attendance ... we're over 200 people for one event. Thanks for everything.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 9:56 PM - Response #1

You don't need to remove the home page content, you can just swap the order of the content with the announcements.

When you edit the HOME PAGE, (Edit Site Psges, EDIT PAGE for Home Page), there is an option to make the announcements be at the top or at the bottom of the home page contents.

NOTE: all the announcements move as one block of text. If any of the announcements are too wide to fit in the top area, there will be a large white section at the top of the home page. In order to get rid of the white space, you need to find out which announcement is causing the white space to appear and shrink the contents of that announcement. Some browsers display the contents of the website differently. For example, if you have a URL (website address) that doesn't have any spaces in it, Firefox knows how to wrap the URL at the "/" characters, but Internet Explorer doesn't know how to wrap the line, so it causes the white vertical spacing to appear. Another warning, do NOT use the spacebar to format the text. Spaces become hard-spaces and non-wrap able, so cause display issues.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 9:50 AM - Response #2

Kyle, as usual, you have provided the exact info needed to do what I'm trying to do. Thank you. I changed the setting to put the announcements at the top ... and of course there was an announcement that had a table too wide for the top section. Once I fixed that everything literally "popped" into place. Now I can manage the site "in absentia" using the start/stop and positioning of announcements. Thanks, again, for this and your continual efforts and success at making CC work so well. Mark

Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:56 AM - Response #3

You are very welcome!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.