ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

"Deceased"

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 06/22/09 10:45 PM Views: 2959 Replies: 20
Monday, June 22, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Is there a possibility to have a separate line for "Deceased" instead of having it appear within the same parenthesis as the married name?
Not an issue on men but seems awkward on the women.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 1:42 AM - Response #1

Oops, sorry, one of the tasks for a programmer was a little misinterpreted here. I didn't want to add "Deceased" at all to the list of names on the In Memory page. I only wanted to add it to the actualy record itself (i.e. what you get if you actually click on a name). And then clearly we want "Deceased" at the end of the name, not in the parenthesis with the Married name. I'll get this corrected tomorrow, thank you for bringing it up.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 1:47 PM - Response #2

Did I miss something? Why are you having to add the designation at all, when the names are all on the "In Memory" page and when you click on the name, the heading of their page says "In Memory".

And I see this happening on their multi-year site but not on ours, so it must be something special?

But what we REALLY need on the multi-year sites is when you come into their individual page on "In Memory", you can no longer see their class year. That's more important than adding "Deceased" after their name. Hmm?

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 5:12 PM - Response #3

Programmer misinterpreted task... Already fixed.

Have we ever shown the class year on the individual Classmate's In Memory entry?

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 7:24 PM - Response #4

No, you haven't had it before. What I mean is you can see it on the In Memory list, but once you click on a name, that information isn't carried over to the individual page. I printed out a batch of obits--no way to tell what class they were. Was going to have to add that myself by hand or edit each name and include their year in the name field if I wanted it show. I ended up pasting the obits into Word so I could put in the class year.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 10:13 PM - Response #5

Got it. We can add that.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 10:55 AM - Response #6

Was out of town for a couple of weeks so am just catching up. What I notice is that if you don't make an entry for a deceased person in the notes field, the red rose does not appear by their name. And I see that we still have to enter "deceased" on the same line as the married name - I thought that was going to be corrected.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM - Response #7

I was actually incorrect about this, the programmer had not misinterpreted the task. I thought he had by looking at your site because I didn't realize you were typing the word "deceased" in there. We elected not to show deceased in the name field on the In Memory page, as everyone on the page is deceased. I did add a Task to add "deceased" to the title tag of the individual In Memory pages though, so when Google indexes these pages it will be immediately apparent that the individual is deceased.

Correct, the red rose only shows up if you've actually entered content. The red rose tells people where to click to read content, so they avoid clicking around on names where there is nothing to read whatsoever. That's why we have a separate deceased icon from the red rose icon.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 at 7:37 PM - Response #8

Brad,

I was looking at my deceased classmates on the classmates profile page and they don't have roses. I would like for them to have roses. Most if not all have content. Please advise.

www.nehi1980.com

Brien Murphy

Thursday, July 23, 2009 at 7:44 PM - Response #9

The "rose icon" just means that someone has left a comment or there is something there on the classmate's "In Memory" page besides a date. If you want a rose icon, just add some text to the content of the page, maybe the obituary if you can find it, or a poem, or a graphic.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 at 9:18 PM - Response #10

Brien Murphy ('80) wrote:

Brad,

I was looking at my deceased classmates on the classmates profile page and they don't have roses. I would like for them to have roses. Most if not all have content. Please advise.

www.nehi1980.com

Brien Murphy

Please give me an example deceased Classmate name that has no rose, but has content entered.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 at 10:20 PM - Response #11

Ok, Glenda Bell www.nehi1980.com

http://www.nehi1980.com/class_profile.cfm?member_id=458908

or Chris Vacha www,nehi1980.com

http://www.nehi1980.com/class_profile.cfm?member_id=468958

or Thomas Kindel www.nehi1980.com

http://www.nehi1980.com/class_profile.cfm?member_id=461527

Please advise, Nehi1980.com (Not Nehi1979)

Thanks, Brienj Murphy

Thursday, July 23, 2009 at 10:56 PM - Response #12

Oh I see. Somebody turned off your deceased icons. You can turn them on and off by:

1) Clicking Edit Site Pages
2) Clicking the Edit button next to your In Memory page
3) Turn deceased icons on or off

I turned them back on.

Friday, July 24, 2009 at 9:18 PM - Response #13

Thanks for the icons on the memory page.

Nice touch.

Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 12:05 AM - Response #14

I guess I wasn't real clear when I started this discussion.

Our site is a multi-year site. When I agreed to take over the duty of doing all the In Memory postings for the site, the Site Manager gave me the following instructions:

1. Under Admin Functions, click on Edit Site Pages

2. Under the Profiles, go to the deceased's profile and post the word "Deceased" in the married name field

3. Then go to the In Memory page (still under Edit Site Pages) and enter the year of death (if known) and any other info provided in the remarks field

So #2 is the reason why I was asking for a separate field for entering the word "Deceased".

For women it sometimes ends up looking like Jane Doe (Smith) (Deceased)

Perhaps other sites do things differently but these were the instructions I was given.

Carol

Saturday, July 25, 2009 at 12:52 AM - Response #15

Do not enter "(Deceased)" in the name field for the people on your In Memory page. All Classmates on the In Memory page are deceased.

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 9:16 PM - Response #16

Brad

Hate to be a pest but I have another suggestion.

We are a multi-year site so when we go into our profiles section, we can type the last name and it brings up all the people with that last name who are on the site.

Currently, because we have been entering the word "deceased" in the married name field, then it shows up on the list of classmates.

Is there a way to have the **rose appear after the names of deceased classmates since you say we should no longer enter "deceased"?

Thanks a bunch.

Carol

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 10:00 PM - Response #17

The ** already appears on the Classmate Profiles page next to all deceased Classmates. The rose will also appear (assuming you have your In Memory icons turned on anyway) if there has been any Admin-entered comments or a Classmate-entered commments about that deceased Classmate. On the In Memory page itself, only the rose will appear if there have been commments entered about the Classmate. And a military flag too, if that Classmate served the military.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM - Response #18

Brad

I have gone back and removed the word "deceased" from all the In Memory entries if there was a rose beside the name. Otherwise, I left the word in place.

Before I begin with my current issue, we are a multi-year site. Today I noticed that if you call up a year under the profiles, it shows the rose. But if you type in a name to search, it does not show the rose. Can this be changed so that a rose appears no matter which way you search for a classmate?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 4:08 PM - Response #19

Good question. I'll have to ask Rick about this one and will get back to you here this week with an answer.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM - Response #20

Hi Brad. Is there possibly a way to add an additional category to "Classmates" other than "Guests" for deceased relatives of classmates or something similar, "Other" perhaps or "Other Deceased"? We have classmates either in the class before or after ours or our classmates' siblings or siblings' classmates or parents or teachers who have recently passed and we would like to list their obits and our guest list is getting large. Perhaps "Recently Deceased" or just "Deceased" would work and may not be much trouble to add. We can usually cut and paste the obit. Unfortunately we are getting more and more obits.
Thanks, Gail.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.