ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Can classmates post pictures of their first car

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/08/11 04:08 PM Views: 2518 Replies: 35
Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I would like to have a area where classmates can post a picture of their first car and discribe what they went through to get it. I would like to have it someplace besides in the profiles.
Thanks
Rick

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM - Response #1

Hi Rick:

How about starting a new thread in your "Do Not Look In Here" (Classmate Forums)? You may need to post some instructions on how to add a picture to their post.

My first was a 1956 Olds 2 door hardtop - red/white. Dad bought it for me for $600 in the summer of 1962. Yours?

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 4:38 PM - Response #2

I asked classmates to send pictures of their renovated vintage cars to be posted on the homepage. This went pretty well; classmates seemed to enjoy showing off. I like this idea Rick! I think I'll try first cars and their associated stories next!

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM - Response #3

Neat idea - will have to try this. Mine was a 1970 Gremlin - my dad bought for me for college. It had a 232 straight six and my mom named it Bozo. The base price was $1700 but it had about $900 in options - including automatic trans and bucket seats - loved it

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM - Response #4

Mine was a 1960 Vauxhall super Victor Wagon!!!
It looks just like a shortened 1957 chevy wagon.
I had the opertunity to live with my aunt in Iowa for a summer and work on her brother in laws hog farm. It was a very good experiance but I came home with just enough to buy the car for $50.00.(it didnt run) I was 15 at the time. I still have the car and have never had it running or been able to drive it.
So that was 35 years ago!! Maybe someday

Thanks for the tips I will see if I can figure it out!!

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 5:00 PM - Response #5

Why not just make an album in the Photo Gallery called First Cars and people can add captions with their stories?

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 5:05 PM - Response #6

I love this idea! Everyone remembers their first car.

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 5:07 PM - Response #7

Mine was a '57 Chevy 4-door hardtop. I called the color putrid plum. The one I wanted was a black '57 Ford 2-door hardtop, but my dad wouldn't go along with it just because of one little bullet hole in the back seat!

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 5:14 PM - Response #8

I went into the "Do not look in here" area and was able to post a picture. Was this because I am a administrator? Can any one that is logged in post a picture? Is the photo gallery idea a easier way to do it and can the people easly post pic's
Once again thank you for all of your help

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 6:13 PM - Response #9

Would it work to post the first cars in the announcements area?

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 6:44 PM - Response #10

Rick Nelson wrote:

Would it work to post the first cars in the announcements area?
Your call... But I don't think you'd want to have all these "car" announcements on the home page. People might call it a Car site. The album or the Forums would work best. The Album might be easier that the Forums for people to upload their pictures to -- and they can add their 'captions' as comments.

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 7:03 PM - Response #11

Great idea, Rick. My first thought was the forums but using the Photo Gallery would be good.

In the photo gallery, each person will have their own 'album'. That would give a picture of all the cars. When one is clicked on, the caption would be seen. Sort of like perusing the 'cars for sale' in the local newspaper. Get a few to post their first car photos and then send out a email with one of the car photos. You could write the email as an ad for the car, then at the end add a 'got 'cha' blurb with a link to the Photo Gallery page.

Thanks, Rick. Now that I've walked myself through the idea, I have something else for my never ending 'want to do' list. Smile

Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 12:25 AM - Response #12

Great Idea. My first car was a 1967 Cougar. First I added an FM converter and then a 8 track player. When cassettes came out, they made a converter so you could play them on the 8 track machine. Best car ever and at every reunion someone reminds me of it.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 5:48 AM - Response #13

Okay, I had to start "My First Car" in the photo gallery. But furst I had to finish my NFL Playoff info and surveys. NFL done. My First Car done. Announcements for both are up-to-date. It is all available to see at least on Sunday, if you wish to drop by. (If you do drop by, use the Contact Us form to leave me a message, please.)

Have a great Sunday!

Oh, Andy... my 2nd car was a... you'll have to take a look at my site.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM - Response #14

My first car was an early '60's Fiat. My father paid $500 for it and my sister and I shared it. It was so light that I was not allowed to take it on the highway which made dragging the local hang out a little tricky. I would take it to school and after school I would not be able to find it. Why? Because several brawny football players would have literally picked it up by the bumpers and moved it!

Do I have a picture of it? Of course not.

If a gallery was used for the photos, then classmates who have love affairs with their cars could post several cars that they have had even if they did not have the foresight to take a picture of the first.

Margaret

Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM - Response #15

They were great cars. Mine was bronze color that made it really stick out. I'd be thrilled to have that car today.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM - Response #16

(My best ideas occur after I hit Submit)

What about a gallery called simply Firsts?

First car, first motorcycle, first child, first date, first love, first independent domicile, first wedding, first job, first anything. Think of all the firsts in your life. It could go on forever!

While my brain is running, how about Decades? A pic of the classmate in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's? We have done that for profile pics on Facebook and is has been a hoot.

Margaret

Edited 01/09/11 11:00 AM
Sunday, January 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM - Response #17

I have my best ideas away from the computer, Margaret. I love your idea! Now let's look at how to organize "Firsts". I would prefer to have the link be "Firsts" with the description just about what you suggest. However, then I would like to have separate folders that when opened - such as "Cars" we see only the cars. I'll have to stop my brain for a moment to consider if this would work right now.

Very Happy I just noticed you wrote 'first weddings.' I was so interested in your idea, I stopped reading at the first line.

We'll need a ton of photo space if we do this and add Decades. Your ideas are great! Thanks!

(Note to John: Yes, I did edit this post. Smile

Edited 01/09/11 1:49 PM
Monday, January 10, 2011 at 5:08 PM - Response #18

Hello, Gwen! I just sent yuou something.

Now on the firsts...I did talk to one of my co's about it who does the galleries. I have not set up a gallery in so long that I am not sure it can be technically done like I want it.

I would like to see the link FIRSTS with text instructions. Then a gallery for cars with text instructions. You always have to do the pep talk to get their creative juices flowing. And then other galleries with instructions.

I am thinking I will add a first item every two months. That is six for the year. Now what six should I add? That is the question. Unless they never married, everyone has a first wedding. I have had more than my share of weddings. Then there is the first baby. The first grand baby?

Any other ideas?

Margaret

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM - Response #19

Margaret Ann Swanzey wrote:

Any other ideas?

Yes, but some I can't post here. EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 5:33 PM - Response #20

That is what my co said. My response? You got pics? Now, as I tell my classmates....Naughty, naughty! Enough, enough! Don't make me ground you! MOM

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 6:30 PM - Response #21

(sorry but I must...) to Margaret: LIKE!

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 6:38 PM - Response #22

I looked for a reply from CC staff... maybe they are considering the 'how'. Smile

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 1:04 AM - Response #23

Margaret Ann Swanzey wrote:

Hello, Gwen! I just sent yuou something.

Now on the firsts...I did talk to one of my co's about it who does the galleries. I have not set up a gallery in so long that I am not sure it can be technically done like I want it.

I would like to see the link FIRSTS with text instructions. Then a gallery for cars with text instructions. You always have to do the pep talk to get their creative juices flowing. And then other galleries with instructions.

I am thinking I will add a first item every two months. That is six for the year. Now what six should I add? That is the question. Unless they never married, everyone has a first wedding. I have had more than my share of weddings. Then there is the first baby. The first grand baby?

Any other ideas?

Margaret

Hi, Margaret!

Firsts. Let's see:

1) First Car
2) First Job
3) First Wedding (or close to... like that? If always a bridesmaid or groomsman, the first time at that with how many times you have been a bridesmaid/groomsman.)
4) First Baby/Child (adopted/foster home/step/pet!)
5)
6)

Anyone care to toss in a topic or three?

I'll run mine along with yours, Margaret. Anyone else want to join in? We can then compare or merge our results for a combined total from X number of classes. What do you think about that?

I'll repost my thoughts as to organizing this for Kyle.

Gwen

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 4:19 AM - Response #24

Gwen Corey wrote:

I looked for a reply from CC staff... maybe they are considering the 'how'. Smile

Generally if Classmates have multiple photos it's best to create a Community Photo Gallery (where each Classmate has full control over his or her own gallery of course). In this case I suspect people would just be posting a picture or two. Thus an ideal solution as suggested above is creating a User Forum discussion topic for First Car Photos.

My first car was a pea green 1975 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Oh the stories I could tell about that car!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 11:03 AM - Response #25

Wow, a Cutlass! Hm, I have my own Cutlass memories from back then...something about a drive in movie....

Now, I will consider the forums idea.

We have come up with two gallery options with pros and cons for both.

So choices now are...

1. Forums for Firsts. Then a thread added periodically for another first. A great way to control the content and those who didn't do one first would be more ikely to put up a first in another thread. There is, of course, the issue of forum phobia. I link forums threads to the home page and that could be done. An announcement called In the Forums...then a list of links to what's hot.

2. Gallery....Link to read Firsts

Sublinks for each first. We will end up with a whole lot of single photo galleries in a whole lot of sublinks. This is great if you just want to look at cars or babies or wedding pics. I think it would be a little combersome.

3. Gallery...Link to read Firsts

A gallery for each person with all their firsts collected there. We would regulate slightly by adding a first every few weeks or so.

Now as far as firsts, what would they be likely to have a pic of (Hm, in the forums they could just write text with no pics) or could find a pic of?

wedding
child
grand child
prom
date
sweetheart
kiss
home away from mom
car
move out of hometown
band dance
job
football game, basketball, etc.
little league team
parade
scouting event
first post high school graduation

Not that these are all usable, but you have to have the list to get the best of all.

Thoughts on the presentation methods listed above?

Margaret

PS. You are in trouble. I am an idea person. Next...My Home Town...coming soon in a forum near you.

Edited 01/11/11 11:34 AM
Thursday, January 13, 2011 at 9:42 PM - Response #26

This question has nothing to do with a car. It does have to do with this:
How do you post that beautiful fall snow ?
Please make instructions simple and type slowly so I can understand.
Battle Creek Central

Edited 01/13/11 9:45 PM
Thursday, January 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM - Response #27

The falling snow on http://www.battlecreekcentral68.com/class_index.cfm is a background image.

You can go to their website, right-click on the background image and say "View Background Image", then click on that image and say SAVE IMAGE AS to your Hard Drive. Then install it on your website by going to CHANGE COLORS and BROWSE and then find the image you just saved and click UPLOAD to upload the image.

Edited 01/14/11 12:21 AM
Thursday, January 13, 2011 at 10:20 PM - Response #28

Kyle,
Which website ? There are many sites that showed up when I googled, "background image."

Friday, January 14, 2011 at 12:06 AM - Response #29

I thought you were asking about this website:

http://www.battlecreekcentral68.com/class_index.cfm

Edited 01/14/11 12:22 AM
Friday, January 14, 2011 at 1:13 AM - Response #30

I told you to type s-l-o-w-l-y !
I get it NOW. I thought you meant to go to a site called, "Background Images" and choose one from there.
I'm getting ready to try this.
If I blow up my site, are you there to help me 'fix' it ?
Thanks.

Friday, January 14, 2011 at 1:19 AM - Response #31

Thanks Kyle ! I did it on both my sites. . .
Next question: Where can I find am image background when it's time for the snow to stop falling ? Something maybe like valentines ?

Friday, January 14, 2011 at 8:14 AM - Response #32

You can google search "seamless background images" and it will give you some websites to search.

I don't know where battlecreekcentral68 got their animated background.

Friday, January 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM - Response #33

Here are a couple of sites you can try:

http://www.zingerbug.com/Backgrounds/index.htm
http://www.jellymuffin.com/generators/falling_objects/
http://wonderworlds.org/backgrounds/
http://silviahartmann.com/background-tile/background-tile-all.php

Good luck!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 11:53 PM - Response #34

Wow, Margaret! My computer dies and you went to town with the "Firsts"! I'm so into this, but agree with you... the options have pros and cons.

As I was reading your mention of possibly using the forums, I thought it may be a way to get my classmates to use the forums.

Let's consider posting a link from a front page announcement to the forum. Using this plan, we can separate the subjects. Yet, I wonder how many will participate. Then again, I really like the idea of opening a page to see the individual classmate's first cars at one time and so on for each 'first.' I have to read Brad's post again. I believe my preference is not possible. We could go with his mention of one album per classmate with each of their firsts. If we did that, we could announce a new first each month... on the site with a teaser email at the beginning of the month to bring them to the site.

As to the First Cars, another classmate followed my posting of my first two cars. She captured internet pictures to go with her stories of her first five cars!

Let's work on this, make a plan and run it on our sites at the same time.

Isn't networking grand?

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM - Response #35

Thanks for the links, Vicki!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.