ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Second Phone Number

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/24/09 02:18 PM Views: 4064 Replies: 19
Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 2:18 PM

On the Classmate Details pages, is there any chance you could add an "Alternate Phone" field, similar to the "Alternate Email" field. Thanks.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 2:36 PM - Response #1

Can you not do that with the Profile Generator. In the description of the field you can give the format. EX

Alt Phone Nbr (999-999-9999):

Edited 01/24/09 2:36 PM
Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 2:45 PM - Response #2

You could, but then all Classmates would see the phone #, which in many cases is going to cause issues. If we add an alt phone to the Contact Details then only admins can see that info, which I think is the best way to go. So yea, we'll do that.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 3:51 PM - Response #3

Thanks.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM - Response #4

So where do I add that?

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 11:02 PM - Response #5

It's on the Task List. Will be comin' up shortly.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM - Response #6

What's the status for this enhancement request? Our site went live this week so we're just starting out. Love the ClassCreator application by the way.

Not all classmates have computers. But we don't want to leave them out of the loop when a significant event occurs - such as a fellow classmate passing away. Non-computer members need to be informed and a mailing would be too slow and cumbersome so we would want to call them directly. Since there's only 1 bucket for telephone numbers, I'm currently instructing members to enter a phone number that has the best chance of reaching them. We don't know if that number is a home landline number, a work number or a cell phone number. We have a spreadsheet that we maintained prior to using ClassCreator. It contained at least 2 columns for telephone numbers, but I could only upload 1 number to ClassCreator. I don't want to have to maintain 2 sources of classmates when ClassCreator already does a pretty good job.

Adding a question to the Profile is unacceptable since fellow classmates can see it. It needs to be added to the Contact details and the export to Excel needs to be modified to allow for the additional phone bucket(s).

If this has already been addressed or I am in the wrong forum, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 12:12 PM - Response #7

"Cell Phone" field comin' up.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 12:20 PM - Response #8

Be nice to have 3 phone buckets, but 2 will do nicely. Thanks, Brad.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 3:09 PM - Response #9

What's the latest on this? Please specify how to add an alternate or mobile phone number to the contact info. Adding this to the classmate profile is not acceptable, because it exposes the info to everyone.

Need a specific timeline from Class Creator of when this will be available.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 at 7:16 PM - Response #10

Cell phone field is now in there.

Concerns with alt address would be you wouldn't know exactly when each Classmate leaves for the alternate address. Also concerned vast majority of people do not have alternate addresses thus we're adding more fields to an already lengthy page that most won't ever need or use.

Wouldn't it make more sense for people going south to just change their address? That's the same thing they have to do at the Post Office before they go. That way you'd know exactly which address people are at and when, and we don't have to add more boxes to the Details page.

One other thought: If somebody wants to add an alternate email address to the system, I'm assuming they want other Classmates to see it. Thus you could still use Profile Generator for this. Those who want it fill it out, and it appears on their Profile, others who don't want it leave it blank, and the whole question omits on the public Profile page. The only real reason for adding it to the Details page I can see is if the Classmate wants only the Admin to have the alternate address. That certainly makes sense. I think this is something we should slate for the "Advanced Preferences" page -- a page full of items that Admins who want them can enable. If enabled we might want to also add a time period area to both addresses, where the Classmate could specify when he or she will be at each of the addresses.

Edited 03/24/10 12:45 AM
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 at 10:57 PM - Response #11

Thanks for adding the alternate phone number!!

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM - Response #12

I'm not sure if this was by design? But cell phone number is not showing up on the profile pages. Is there something I need to turn on to make it display?

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 12:21 PM - Response #13

Try the Edit Contact Information, or if you are the admin, you can Manage Classmates, then look on the DETAIL page.

You will see the "Cell Phone:" entry on the CONTACT details.

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 1:56 PM - Response #14

A classmember reported to me that their cell phone number was not showing up on their page, although they had clicked the option to allow their address information to be seen. I tested it with my own information (I was not displaying my information. I put in my cell phone number and clicked the option to show my address/phone numbers. He is correct as it only shows my home phone number - it is not showing my cell phone number. I was hoping there was an option that I had neglected to turn on as the administrator that would show these cell phone numbers when the option to display address/phone numbers was turned on.
What am I missing, Kyle?
Thanks,
Susie

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 2:10 PM - Response #15

You're not missing anything. People are extremely sensitive about giving out their cell phone number in particular. If we showed both numbers by default all from that one setting I bet we'd have many unhappy people who wanted to give out their regular land line number but did not want to give out their cell phone number.

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM - Response #16

Absolutely agreed. This particular individual would like his cell phone number displayed. Is the only way for that to occur is to move it to the land line field?

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM - Response #17

Yes, or put it in any other public field, like Comments or School Story, etc. Or you can go to Profile Generator and actually add a Profile "Cell Phone Number" field. That would work fine to. For those who fill it out, it would display. For those who don't, the entire field/heading won't display at all. You could easily do it this way.

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 12:44 PM - Response #18

Great addition, Brad, but I have an "icing on the cake" suggestion. I was going to write the class to tell them about the feature, because we've been on board for a year now, and only people who visit their details page will note the enhancement.

Then I realized that what *I* had done was put my cell # in the (only) "telephone" slot. I updated my own details to move it to the new "cell phone" slot and put my landline in the "telephone" slot, then checked to see what gets displayed.

As earlier explained, only the "telephone number" slot gets displayed.

If you are going to display only one, why not label them "telephone" and "alternate phone" OR keep the labels "telephone" and "cell phone" but add a radio button to let the classmate choose which one to publish and which to just have there where an Admin can see it, and perhaps even display it as "telephone" or "cell phone" in the public profile?

[edited to add: I just noticed the posting right above this one. Guess I COULD add Cell Phone myself......]

[re-edit: Well, now I'm puzzled. I see a Cell Phone already IN the Profile Generator, but
a) it's not on a blue background, so it's not a default, and
b) it's not displaying in MY profile.
How does that relate to the newly-added cell phone field? I don't BELIEVE that my co-admin added it SINCE I did my update yesterday.....]

Edited 05/17/10 1:12 PM
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 2:52 AM - Response #19

You're just tryin' to confuse me now aren't ya Guy! Wink

I can't tell you which Admin added the Cell Phone field to Profile Generator, but somebody did it. It's working just fine too. If you click your Edit Profile link you'll see the field. It's only not displaying on your public Profile because you didn't answer the question. If somebody doesn't answer a question we don't both showing the question at all. Thus you're not seeing "Cell Phone" listed on your Profile.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.