ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Where They Live MAP - Again

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/24/09 01:27 PM Views: 1562 Replies: 6
Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I would like thoughts from other Admins that use the Map feature of "Where They Live".

The Alumni member has the option of not showing their profile to the general public.
Quote:

Allow only fellow Classmates to view my Profile details. Note: Checking this box will block the general public and search engines from accessing your Profile details.

But on the Map, the alumnus name and City, state, zip show on the map bubble regardless of how the above option is answered.

Methinks that the City, St, Zip info should be dropped from the map when the "Allow Only" option is selected. Sure, you can figure out the City name from the location of the flag, but why give it out for free? Or am I worrying about something that is not a problem?

As always, nothing is impossible to do for the person that doesn't have to do it.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM - Response #1

It's a good observation William, and a concern that some others have voiced as well.

Our solution for this will be to allow you to display selected right hand home page modules only to logged in fellow Classmates. Thus Classmates will have to be logged in to see the whole Where They Live box. The general public will not see the box at all.

You can see how all of this is going to work here: www.classcreator.com/homeedit -- it should be pretty self explanatory. With this, you will be able to take total control over these types of privacy issues.

Edited 01/24/09 1:50 PM
Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 2:17 PM - Response #2

Hi Brad

To require that they be logged in does the trick.

If someone really doesn't want to be found, ie: by ex-husbands, etc., etc. then they have the option of not filling the information into their profile. Then they can always share it privately with whomever they wish.

I wonder if it would be possible to link the address information in the profiles to an outside site, such as Google Maps, Mapquest, etc. Could that be a way to address the fact that only US addresses can be shown through a link like this?

Thanks
Donald (eh)

Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 2:34 PM - Response #3

Support for international countries is coming. Probably not soon, but definitely sometime this year.

Edited 01/24/09 2:37 PM
Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 2:53 PM - Response #4

I see the inclusion of Canada now. My question is will the Canadian classmates be marked on the map? We were less than 50 in the class so we're counting.
A. One classmate lives in Hamilton,Ontario, has email & logs
in regularly but can't come to reunion.
B. One lives in British Columbia, has no email address and
will attend reunion.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 3:00 PM - Response #5

Yes, when we do the international support for the map feature, Canada will be included.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 11:50 AM - Response #6

Excellent solution. Will be waiting for implementation.

Thanks

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.