ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Maiden names again

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/24/09 12:47 PM Views: 1533 Replies: 16
Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I am hearing a lot from my classmates that we have the maiden names backwards. I did not follow the instructions when I uploaded the data. I would like to know if it is time to delete the names and then re-upload them? This is, should I do it now or is there something coming that will make it easier. I know that I have been going around and around on this and I am not sure what is the best.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 2:57 PM - Response #1

You could go throught the process of identifying those Classmates who have not joined your site, then using your Reset Class List button to reset only those Classmates. You could then switch the columns in Excel and reupload. Anyone who has already joined would have to be switched manually. For the manual ones, you could always send out a class wide email reading something like this:

"Oops, when I uploaded our Class List into our web site I inadvertently switched the married name and maiden name columns. Please take a moment to update your Profile and ensure your Maiden Name and Married Name are correct."

Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 4:05 PM - Response #2

I put the maiden name and last name together on the same line, I believe it's the second line. I left the third line blank and it works just fine.

Ex.

First Name Jane
Last Name Doe Smith
Married Name

Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM - Response #3

Here I go! I am going to break this down in little pieces. I just counted and there are 5,477 maiden names. I did try to ask the Ladies to change their names but with limited success. I like the way you put it. I will try that. I have alot to do, I guess I better get statted.
Thanks

Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM - Response #4

I created a list of 5459 names. I will go and delete everyone that does not have a profile. I will then up load my list. Do I have to delete the name of the person that has a profile from my doc or will it just not create a duplicate?

Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 12:18 PM - Response #5

It will not create a duplicate.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 12:20 PM - Response #6

I want to make sure I got this right. When I go to reset classmates "all" are check. If I am right that means I have to uncheck 20,182 names in order to delete 5459 of the total. I also have to figure our who has a profile of the 5459 and not delte them.

Is there an easier way?

Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 12:34 PM - Response #7

I'll have the programmer add a deselect all button there. You'll still have a lot of names to reselect, but nearly as bas as if you had to deselect them.

Yes, unfortunately this is a real chore. When you've got a site where some of the names are switched, and some of the names are not, and some of the Classmates have joined, and some of the Classmates have not, you've unfortunately got a labor intensive task on your hands.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 1:25 PM - Response #8

Brad, I think the deselect button will be good, however I realize there are some other issues too. First is the 'In Memory" list. I will have to do this all over again. Then there are the profiles to consider. What I am doing is going year by year and marking anyone deceased with a "rose" and also anyone who has a profile. then deleting all the names on my seperate list. I do not want to mess anyone up either.
Big project. One at a time.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 9:04 PM - Response #9

Brad, I saw the "deselect all" switch. Can this also be done by year? like the "Edit classmates screen?

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 9:09 PM - Response #10

Yes, good idea. Adding to list.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM - Response #11

Brad, I am in the process of trying to fix this now and believe me it is a bear! Do you think this will be in the near future? Because if it is I will wait.
Thanks

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 12:58 PM - Response #12

I'll see if I can bribe the programmer. Smile

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 1:54 PM - Response #13

Peanut butter crackers?

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 at 1:56 PM - Response #14

I'm offering up dinner at Cottage Inn Cafe, a local restaurant we all like. Lesee if it works.

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 2:28 AM - Response #15

It's going to be awhile until we get this in, as it turns out it's more involved than I was hoping. It is coming though..

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 3:42 PM - Response #16

No problem. I will look for the annoucement for when it is working.
Thanks

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.