ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Initial Login

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/07/22 08:18 PM Views: 3279 Replies: 4
Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 8:18 PM

What is the process I should send classmates to allow them to login for the first time? Each classmate's profile contains their email address. I saw a post indicating the classmates should be directed to their profile so they can create a password but how do you get to a profile without being logged in?

Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 10:22 PM - Response #1

Your home page is restricted, so they don't have access to the "Join" button. You can either unrestrict the home page, or... send all of them an email containing this link
https://www.classcreator.com/Towson-Maryland-Towson-Catholic-1971/class_classmates.cfm
And tell them to click on the link and then click on their name and follow the instructions to register.

Thursday, September 8, 2022 at 7:32 AM - Response #2

Thanks John for the quick response.

I was going to give them the link and instruct them to use the "Forgot Password" option.

Not to clear about the "restricted home page". Could you give me more details about that setting? We only want Classmates to have access. What would be ramifications to changing that setting.

Thanks, again.
Hugh

Thursday, September 8, 2022 at 11:35 AM - Response #3

It looks like you have now restricted the Class Profiles page as well.

There are dozens of forum threads kicking around how people deal with their perception of how much security they need, and the opinions range from marking ALL pages 'restricted' to having NO pages restricted.

With all pages restricted, the only way to let people join is to create a System Password and give that out. When you restrict both the Class Profiles page and the Missing page, the system will prompt you to create a System Password since that's the only way for people to join as they use that to log in and then display the home page (with the Join button), or go to either the Class Profile page or the Missing page to find their name and click on it to start the join/registration process.

Thursday, September 8, 2022 at 4:53 PM - Response #4

I suspect forgot password will not work since they never joined in the first place. Just because you inserted an email address in their profile does not mean they joined.

Uncheck the "Restrict to Classmates" for the Home page link and now it's easy for them to actually join.

All that does is make your home page visible to anyone. AND make it easy to JOIN. Make the Profiles page also unrestricted or you are almost back to square one.

The other links you may have can be restricted. Profiles are pretty much automatically restricted. There's really not much there for anyone to "harvest".

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.