ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Difference Between Rood Admin & Regular Admin

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/27/08 11:32 PM Views: 1465 Replies: 7
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 11:32 PM

I didn't start the creation of our site, a friend of mine did making her the Root Admin. I have Admin powers she gave me and it appears that I can do anything she can and I seem to get the notices. Plus it was I who registered our domain and got that squared away.

Saying she's not that technically oriented, she wants to hand off to me whatever powers she has, while staying an admin herself. Reading another thread, I understand that we'd have to swap accounts.

So my question is, what powers does her account have that mine do not? What is the difference between a Root and Regular Admin?

Thanks,
Tom

/side note: I misspelled "root" in the title and fixed it, but note that the correction didn't propagate out to the forum list view where it's still "rood".

Edited 08/27/08 11:35 PM
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 11:40 PM - Response #1

All Admins currently have the same power. But the new Preferences area will give you the ability to change who the Root Admin is. The Root Admin will be the only admin who can access the new Preferences area.

Saving a new item locks the title even if you correct it.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 2:15 AM - Response #2

So, the Root has MORE power, if you will, to control things???

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 3:10 AM - Response #3

Yes, once the new Preferences area is live the root will actually have more power, as the root Admin will be the only one who can control the Preferences area. If we didn't do that, then a regular Administrator would have the power to "kick out" the root Administrator and reassign their power. That certainly wouldn't be good.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 6:15 AM - Response #4

I'm left remembering a phrase I learned in high school, naturally, by reading Orwell's Animal Farm: "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Edited 08/28/08 6:16 AM
Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM - Response #5

Didn't that same author say something about 1984 and big brother? I started the site but chose a co-administrator because she can do the tech stuff that I don't know how to yet. I guess you just have to choose carefully and completely trust the person. I don't worry that she will try to kick me out because I can take away her admin power just like I gave it to her. I think we are enjoying the evolution of the site way too much to engage in a power struggle.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM - Response #6

Ok where is this Preference area and how does this all work?
J

Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 9:07 PM - Response #7

It doesn't exist yet. However you can read about what it will do in this thread.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.