ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Enlarge page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/16/08 03:13 PM Views: 1249 Replies: 5
Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Hi Brad,
I was trying to add yearbook pictures of our veterans on our Honors & Tributes page - I was successful for quite a few of the pictures then the trouble started. The site became very slow, I saved my page, got off the site and then logged on again only to find my page oversized and having to use the bottom slide bar to see the page. I have since deleted all the pictures that I put in last night thinking something was way oversized but it didn't change the page size. Can you have a look and see what's up?
Many thanks,
Betty

Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 10:52 PM - Response #1

I responded to your email first. I suspect you may have fixed the page in question, but on your other "blown out" page it's all the **************'s you put in a row without a space. When the system can't wrap something it will just keep stretching out your page wider and wider. Fortunately easy to fix. Just delete 2/3rds of your *'s on every line you've put them on.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 11:59 PM - Response #2

Hi Brad, Actually it was the 'Honors & Tribuites' page that I am having problems with - and I deleted all the pictures entered last night and deleted any extra spaces etc. I was thinking that I had 'blown out' the page too, but deleting all the pictures and extra spaces has not fixed the problem.

Friday, October 17, 2008 at 12:37 AM - Response #3

I'm seeing that page just fine in all 3 major browsers. Nothing is blowing out. Try hitting reload or refresh while you're on that page in case you have it cached.

Friday, October 17, 2008 at 12:41 AM - Response #4

Hi Brad, I see our 'Honors & Tributes' page is now fixed. What did I do? Or was it a glich? Would love to know so I don't repeat my perils of last evening!

(BTW the deactivated 'Site Navagation' page is our 'file folder' for our next future page-we know it is a mess!)
Betty

Friday, October 17, 2008 at 12:50 AM - Response #5

Oh actually, I fixed that page from a comment made on another thread. Sorry, I literally handle over 700 issues per day via email and these forums, so I totally forgot I fixed the Honors page earlier.

You have a variety of problems going on, on the various pages I've fixed. Isn't that nice to know? Smile

Your Site Navigation page, you can't put all of those ************* like that. You're putting so many in a row without a space the system has nowhere to wrap.

Other issues have been too many hard spaces in a row.

And other issues are you're copying html code generated by some other program (Microsoft Word maybe?) and pasting it into our system. Always paste text into Notepad first, which will strip out any html. And then copy it again from there and paste it into our system. If you paste html code into our system that our software didn't generate, there's no telling what might happen. I had to remove a gazillion "nowrap" tags from the code on one of your pages that came from some other software.

This probably sounds like a mouthful but all of this is really rather easy. Just be careful to paste in clean text, and NOT html code from other software. Don't put too many characters or hard spaces in a row that can't possibly wrap. Little simple things like this are always the cause of blown out pages. And with just a little bit of knowledge you can spot these items in your code and remove them yourself when this happens again.

Because Class Creator gives you direct access to your code, we also give you the direct ability to break your site. By the same token, we give you the ability to make it really cool. It's kinda the greatest strength and the greatest weakness all lumped together. Welcome to the world of web design. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.