ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Request different messages for Profile Verification

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 05/03/09 09:55 AM Views: 1359 Replies: 3
Sunday, May 3, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I use the Profile Verification feature (Preferences/DO NOT ALLOW...). I also have a few classmates who are "Lurkers". They have only entered a minimum amount of information on their own profile, but visit the website regularly looking at other's information.

To solve this problem, I have entered this announcement to try to get the Lurkers to enter more information about themselves: WARNING: Starting NEXT WEEK, Those classmates who don't have very much information in their profile (very little information and no pictures) will be marked as "Need to be verified" and will be given very little access to this website. Some classmates are just "lurking" and not filling out their profiles. THIS IS YOUR WARNING! In order to get this restriction removed and your profile in good standing again, you will need to add pictures or fill out more details in your profile (including information that can be verified).

I would like to suggest that the verification messages shown to the classmate who needs to be verified be EDITABLE by the site admin. If not editable, then maybe modify to include something like this.

Suggestion for NEW/NEEDS VERIFICATION classmate accessing protected pages: Sorry, you cannot access this page until your account has been approved by the Site Administrator. In order to help the administrator verify your account, please fill out more information/pictures about yourself in your profile.

Sunday, May 3, 2009 at 11:50 AM - Response #1

Although I can certainly understand the desire, you're really trying to bend a feature into something slightly different from its original intent. Also, just my two cents, but I think at least in some cases you're going to find that removing rights from a member with little info will alienate them more than motivate them. I can tell you from doing this for a long time that people have all kinds of privacy concerns and considerations, and somebody entering little info may have a reason for that which you're unaware of. Pulling rights from somebody with a situation like this may well result in them just "going away" entirely. I think at this point I've heard virtually every type of privacy sitaution imaginable, so just offering my perspective here.

I'm largely against making the message editable. Reason being that there's all kinds of system instructions and some things simply have to be worded in a way that's clear and a way we know works. The problem with making every little thing editable is the system itself starts becoming clunky and less usable -- particuarly for people who are newer. With this feature already working perfectly with no known issues, my gut feeling here is don't fix what's not broken.

Sunday, May 3, 2009 at 12:10 PM - Response #2

I had several classmates sign on with very little info in their profiles. I let it go and slowly but, surely, they filled more and more information in.. I think they read other profiles to get ideas on what to say.. Then after a while, I would send a message to others who had not filled out the profile, saying when they have the time, we would really like to know more about them and their families..In most cases, they did fill in more details..
I want my site to be comfortable for classmates. If they do not wish to tell us more, that's ok... I'm glad they joined, anyway.

Sunday, May 3, 2009 at 12:34 PM - Response #3

I have our website set so that I have to verify people's identities (we've had a problem with hijackers). If they don't give much info and especially if their e-mail address does not match their name, I send them an e-mail and ask for more info or a picture.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.