ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Subscribing to your own birthday and profile

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/06/14 08:57 PM Views: 801 Replies: 10
Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 8:57 PM

I have not seen this question answered before and did a search but no luck. This question actually comes from one of our alumni who, for some reason wants to see her own birthday notification email a week before, and on her birthday, just like she sees others she is subscribed to. I don't know if its possible, so I can't answer her question from my own experience.

I don't know why someone would want to see this but this person made a big deal about it last year and she is pressing me again on this! So, I'm looking for some help on this one before April 1st comes around.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM - Response #1

Send an email now with a note to not open until a week before.Shocked

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM - Response #2

You could get all, and I mean ALL, the Admin through the CC world to send her a Birthday wish. Just a thought!

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM - Response #3

re: I don't know why someone would want to see this

Me either!

In fact, I list my birthday as February 30! LOL
The 'one week notice' is posted on the home page, but no one ever gets an email!

Laughing

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM - Response #4

LOL! That's funny Steve!

Well, I guess my question to any of you Admins is this... Have any of you subscribed to your own profile? And if so, did you get your own birthday notification email 7 days in advance and on your birthday?

It would make sense because I just subscribed to my own profile. I never have in the 5 years that we've been using CC so I don't have first hand knowledge that it works for anyone to subscribe to themselves. If it does, I'll just tell her to subscribe to her own profile and hope that gets her OFF my back. LOL! I just want to make sure it actually works that way or I'll have her berating me.

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM - Response #5

Bruce - you could simply go in and create a 'fake' classmate, [my fake classmate is named zzzzz] and make his/her birth date 8 days from today, and wait until tomorrow to see if you get such a notice.
Rolling Eyes

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM - Response #6

Yup! I decided to do that to my profile to test it. I was just hoping someone else had some prior experience with this one. Looks like nobody has so I'll be the test case. Very Happy

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 6:22 PM - Response #7

I don't think you get your own notice. Do you subscribe to all class members? Be sure you subscribe to her profile. And when you get notice send a copy to her. Then make sure you and the other Admin. send her a birthday wish. If you don't have someone sending notices to your members when their birthdays roll around, ask her if she would like to be the Birthday greeter?
I had someone remind me of her birthday was coming up. I'll need to make sure I send her a message along with the class birthday greeter.
Some of us like to remember that we're still alive and not on the obit pageVery Happy
Good luck.

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 7:24 PM - Response #8

Karen, I'm still not sure if we get our own, so that's why the question. I'll know after tomorrow. CC has not replied, so hopefully I'll find out on my own test.

I don't subscribe to all class members because we have over 4800+ members. It's not the same as just having one class of 150-350 classmates. That's one thing I had to turn off.

There's 3 admins and we all have our own jobs on the website and our hands are full: (1)In Memory-obituary research and posting and military research and posting (2) Membership validation, alumni association membership and webpage updates (3) general website administration, emails and member access problem help.

Birthday greetings is not one of them and is not doable with a All-Years website this size. Its hard to get volunteers to help out so this is a labor of love and frustrating at times.... especially when certain people think we owe them the world and figure we are supposed to be technical wizards because we administrate the website. The frustrating ones are a very small percentage but sometimes you just want to smack someone (but refrain).

Karen, your suggestion is a good one but as you might have guessed by now, won't work in our case. I'll see what happens on my own personal test tomorrow. If it doesn't work maybe I'll ask CC to fix it so we could (if we wanted to) get our own Birthday notices and updates, but maybe we do already. I'll let everyone know.... and maybe Brad or Mark or someone from CC will chime in soon.

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 9:36 PM - Response #9

Thanks Bruce for creating a 'test' for this (can we subscribe to our own profiles)... look forward to the results! Sorry, I could not give you the answer. I have a small class and subscribe to all, but just checked and found my own profile is the only one to which I do not subscribe (but don't have any date in the birthday field anyway). Birthdays are one of those topics that matter greatly to some and not at all to others. But for the sake of members such as yours, this will be good information to know. So again, thanks for creating a test for this and look forward to the answer! Hope it works!

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 11:42 PM - Response #10

Bruce, Thanks for noting the responsibilities of your 3 admins! It is truly appreciated!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.