ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Verification Notification to the Classmate

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/23/09 12:26 PM Views: 3529 Replies: 28
Friday, January 23, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I was wondering if an email gets sent to the classmate once the admin has marked them as verified, or does the admin have to handle that notification separately?

Thanks,

Vicki

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 5:06 PM - Response #1

No, but 2 things happen when a new Classmate joins and the New Classamte Verification feature has been enabled:

1) The Classmate will get your welcome email, which you an edit under your Preferences link.

2) The Classmate is told on screen that their new account is pending verification, and that they may not be able to access some portions of the web site until the account has been authenticated by the Administrator.

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 5:43 PM - Response #2

Awesome...I didn't realize that the Welcome email was basically what told them that they had been verified. I guess that I can just edit it to include a note about verification.

Thanks, as always, Brad!!! Have a great weekend!

Vicki

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 6:58 PM - Response #3

Just to be clear, the welcome email goes out immediately when the the Classmate signs up. Nother further is sent with the verified checkmark is checked by you.

Since all Classmatse must be verified, and all Classmates receive the welcome email, you might want to include in your welcome email something to the effect of your account is pending verification, and restricted areas of the web site will continue to be restricted until the account status has been upgraded to full member.

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM - Response #4

Brad Switzer wrote:

Just to be clear, the welcome email goes out immediately when the the Classmate signs up. Nother further is sent with the verified checkmark is checked by you.

Since all Classmatse must be verified, and all Classmates receive the welcome email, you might want to include in your welcome email something to the effect of your account is pending verification, and restricted areas of the web site will continue to be restricted until the account status has been upgraded to full member.

Brad . . . I believe I have my head in the sand ... or just call me Stupid ... Where is the new classmates verification activated ??? ... I have never verified a new classmate. Do I have something checked that I shouldn't or is that I should have something check and I don't ... Please help me get my head out of the sand ... then I will worry about verification emails Question?Confused

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 8:00 PM - Response #5

Well I'm glad you pointed that out. I was under the assumption that the Welcome email wouldn't go out to them until after they had been verified. So I changed our Welcome email to reflect that we will need to verify them. I will just send an email to each classmate as they are verified.

Thanks!

Friday, January 23, 2009 at 8:07 PM - Response #6

Crossland1969 Website _Admin wrote:

Brad Switzer wrote:

Brad . . . I believe I have my head in the sand ... or just call me Stupid ... Where is the new classmates verification activated ??? ... I have never verified a new classmate. Do I have something checked that I shouldn't or is that I should have something check and I don't ... Please help me get my head out of the sand ... then I will worry about verification emails Question?Confused

I found it under Preferences ... I did not have it selected. I got my head out of the sand ... and now I have Egg on my face ... thanks!!!

Edited 01/23/09 8:09 PM
Friday, January 23, 2009 at 8:41 PM - Response #7

There are now three ways to get to the Classmates awaiting verification list:

1) After logging in you'll immediately see the # awaiting verification and link to the list.

2) You'll now see the same thing in the upper right corner of your home page when you're logged in.

3) You see it on your Preferences page -- the same place you turn on or off the feature.

Having said this though, all 3 of these places are just a way to get to the list of unverified Classmates. The way you actually verify somebody is go right into their own Profile and mark them as verified. Technically you never need to look at the unverified Classmate list at all. If you want to verify somebody, simply go into their Profile and mark them verified. Simple as that. We made the list just as a quick way to see who's awaiting verification. But if you receive a new Classmate signup up notice, you really already know that person is awaiting verification anyway.

Edited 01/23/09 8:42 PM
Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 9:40 AM - Response #8

Brad,

Upon logging into the site, I don't see the notification of how many classmates need to verified. I know which ones need to be verified, and when I tried to view their profiles, it gives me the message that they are awaiting verification. I also don't see the info on the homepage. The only place that I see it is on the Preferences page. I don't know whether I misunderstood something, or am looking in the wrong place...Help!

Edited 01/24/09 9:42 AM
Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 4:47 PM - Response #9

OOPS. Sorry. We're only showing pending Announcements there. We need to be showing pending Classmate verifications too. We'll update that.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 12:05 PM - Response #10

Hi Brad,

I have gotten 2 messsages from people that they are getting "error messages" when trying to get to page 3. In both cases both people had joined the site, and I had not verified them yet.

I was wondering what the message actually says and if it is clear that their registration is pending approval.

After reading this thread, I see that my Welcome email goes out immidiately (before I verify.) I had assumed it went out after I verified them. Is it possible to change that or have a choice when it goes out. I was thinking if it went out after verification, this would give the classmate knowldedge they had been verified and could now use the site. I could send a second email after I verify, but that seems to defeat the purpose of automation???

j

Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM - Response #11

I'll change the welcome email to only go out upon the Admin actually marking the Classmate as verified. This way, you can include stuff in your welcome email about the Clasmate now being verified to access the entire site, including any restricted pages.

Can you do something for me? Add a test Classmate to your site. John Doe. Then join as John. Look at the process. Look at the directions on your screen. Is anything unclear? If you find anything unclear about the registration process when using the anti hijacking feature, let me know and we can always tweak the instructions to make it even more clear.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 3:30 PM - Response #12

Brad Switzer wrote:

Can you do something for me? Add a test Classmate to your site. John Doe. Then join as John. Look at the process. Look at the directions on your screen. Is anything unclear? If you find anything unclear about the registration process when using the anti hijacking feature, let me know and we can always tweak the instructions to make it even more clear.

I see what is confusing. When they finish their profile, step 1 & 2 and click to go to 3 nothing happens. There is an error. Not a pop up error, but on the bottom menu bar, in the left corner it says ERROR. No explanation. Maybe this is because a pop up should be happening and pop ups are blocked??? So can a non pop up page letting them know that they need to be verified come next?

Also, my fake classmate... me, received the welcome message. Since it says congratulations you have successfully joined, it can be confusing, if it comes before verifcation.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 3:40 PM - Response #13

I'll check out the status bar error you are describing.

Yes, the auto welcome message is sent immediately. I'm going ot have it changed to be sent upon verification.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 4:05 PM - Response #14

I cannot reproduce the status bar error issue. What browser and version # are you using? Can you reproduce it a second time?

Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM - Response #15

I am at work on a network system. Browser is IE7 and pop ups blocked. I will try to send you a print screen by email.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM - Response #16

I turned pop ups to allow and it still happened. I am sending you the screen shot. I can try from home tonight. I have 2 vistas with brand new IE beta 8 and the other vista IE 7.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 6:33 PM - Response #17

Brad,

I added in a test classmate using my email address and I received the Welcome email before I had even completed Step 3 of the registration process. Are you still going to change when the Welcome email gets sent? I just need to know so that I can change the message accordingly. I really don't mind the way the process works now; I send a separate email to the classmates immediately after I verify them...

Thanks!

Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM - Response #18

If New Classmate Verification is on, yes we're going to change the welcome email to be released when verification is made. It's on the list, as you've noted it's not changed yet.

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM - Response #19

I checked my browser at home ie beta8. The same thing happens when you get to step 3 (status bar says error on page.)

Also, I forwarded a message from the classmate. He is saying nothing happens after he updates his profile and saves.

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 11:16 AM - Response #20

I tried ediiting and saving my john doe profile. I also could not save it. I see the same error on page on the status bar.

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 11:55 AM - Response #21

Me again... I thought this all starting after I added a new question to the profile. It had multiple choices. I made it inactive and that seemed to work. It seems (maybe) even though an answer was not required, it was stopping you from proceeding.

Your thoughts???

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM - Response #22

What specific question was it? I'll go activate and deactivate it and try joining and see if I can reproduce this. It must have something to do with that, as I've not been able to reproduce it here. Does the question in question have any special characters in it? Like a single quote mark or a double quote mark or something like that?

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 1:41 PM - Response #23

how did we find you question. The second to last question I think.

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 1:48 PM - Response #24

Hmmmmm. Interesting. I do see some special characters and things in there. Every now and then something like that "messes up" something. Not because you did anything wrong, but because we need to put some coding in there to not allow the special character to interfere with the page functionality.

Anyway, obviously leave that question deactivated for now. I'm going to ask a programmer to look at this Monday.

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 2:03 PM - Response #25

got it and thank you.
j

Sunday, February 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM - Response #26

Programmer was working on this today. Please reactive and retest. I'll catch up with him at the office tomorrow to hear the specifics on what was happening here.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 1:05 AM - Response #27

Is the welcome email changed yet to the classmate receiving it after they have been verified? I want to change our setup to verify before access to the site is granted. I've had three phonies create profiles.

I'm going to put an announcement on the homepage so new members can see that they will have to wait for the verification email first before having access to the site.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 1:25 AM - Response #28

No that is not changed yet.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.