ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Recommendations for canning yearbook for senior photos

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/24/14 07:45 PM Views: 816 Replies: 4
Monday, February 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Would any of the administrators have recommendations for services that will scan our yearbook, crop the senior photos and save to digital file for uploading to the Classmate profiles? I know some scanning services are by the page, only and don't include the cropping. Thanks!

Monday, February 24, 2014 at 9:10 PM - Response #1

I don't have a recommendation for a scanning service, but I do have a recommendation for a scanner, if you choose to scan the photos yourself: the Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner.

It's a marvelous scanner, available for about $150. I've scanned a large number of photos for our site using it, everything from full yearbook pages to small 1" x 1" photos, and newspaper articles. It will also scan slides and negatives, producing jpeg files; I've done both. Comes with Adode Photoshop Elements software for cropping.

Monday, February 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM - Response #2

If you google scanning yearbook services there are many companies.

FedEx stores provide scanning in our area. I think OfficeMax will also do that. Maybe they'll also crop by the hour.

They have pretty high end fast machines compared to home stuff. You can also rent time. See what is available locally if that interests you.

I've used them and Office Max for printing using their high end laser printers. Awesome output and way faster than home equipment.

What Scott says works too. I've used that scanner and also HP Pro8500 - not for yearbooks (somebody else did that work) just general work.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM - Response #3

I recommend you do the scanning yourself. We had one of the committee members scan (in high resolution) all the yearbook pictures. It was time consuming but saved a bundle of money. She sent them to me and I placed them in my download folder. There were a number of pages and we gave them names (like Arthur to Cox). Then as administrator, when someone registered/logged on, I first found them in the applicable downloaded page and when I found their picture, I then used HP Media Smart Photo (edit affects, crop, apply) and "saved as" in a pictures file (.jpg). Then I went into "Manage Classmates" found the classmates profile, clicked on yearbook picture and uploaded their picture from my pictures file. When it shows up, it will allow you to make sure it's cropped properly. It's a lot easier (and actually fun) than it sounds.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM - Response #4

Hi,
For our reunion I scanned thee photos myself. I have a Dell All-in-one (printer, copier, scanner, & fax). It has served me well.
If you are still want a service, "Staples" is probably to the cheapest. Here's why: They focus on you doing the handling and you being responsible for the end result. But scanning is easy, even if you've never done it.
Barbara

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.