ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Seeking instructions on how to set up forums

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/03/22 06:32 PM Views: 3485 Replies: 7
Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 6:32 PM

I am the root admin for a new CC site and can't find out how to set up both the admin and the user forums. Can anyone point me to where that is? When I click on the link to the video, I get a message that says that the video is locked.

Andy Lyle
Oak Ridge HS Class of 1970
orhs70.com

Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 8:40 PM - Response #1
Admin Forum.jpg

The Admin Forum is a page found under Admin Functions. Click on it and it should look like the file I've attached. Follow the instructions to set it up.

User Forums is a page found under Edit Site Pages. If you don't see it, Class Creator Admin should be able to activate it for your site, once they see your post.

Edited 12/03/22 8:47 PM
Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 5:11 PM - Response #2

The user forums are off by default as well so you can set them up before you turn the on. You can find them under Admin Functions > Edit Site Pages > User Forums > Edit Page

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 3:02 PM - Response #3

Scott, thank you for the assist. So, now I have set up a forum page and posted something. But none of my admins reaponded or I believe knew I had made the posting. What didn't I do?

Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 9:26 AM - Response #4

Under Admin Functions > Edit Site Pages > User Forums > Edit Link did you click the "Active" box to activate User Forums? Looking at your home page, I don't see User Forums on the menu.

Edit: Based on Debbie's reply below, I see now it looks like you set up an Admin Forum instead of a User Forum.

Edited 12/07/22 6:29 PM
Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 6:25 PM - Response #5
Screenshot_20221207-175504_Outlook.jpg

I haven't used the Admin Forum in over 10 years but I think the problem might be that they don't realize there is a new topic or post. Did your Admins select to receive a notification when a topic or new post has been added?

Did you give them permission to access the Admin Forum on their Details page? It's not visible to them if you don't do that.

Edited 12/07/22 6:36 PM
Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 7:28 PM - Response #6

Hi, Debbie, Thank you for jumping on. I can see where we won't feel the need to have an admin forum at some point, but we're just getting ready to go live with this thing and want to have a way to keep in touch as we open up. I see where I now have 2 admin forums. I thought I had cancelled one of them. I read somewhere on here that it wasn't really necessary to password protect if only certain people were invited to be on the forum. Is that what you found to be true? I can't recall who said that or where on the site I found that statement. Sorry, there is just alot of info to absorb. We want a place where just the admins can discuss how to handle issues. Coming from a long HR background, leaving it open to the possibility that someone might be lurking makes the hair on the back of my neck raise up.

Oh and, thank you for the nudge re giving my admins permission. I didn't do that.Sad And, can't figure out how. Can you please walk me through that?

Never mind! I figured how to get back to their profiles. I had already granted them permissions.

Andy Lyle

Edited 12/07/22 7:54 PM
Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 4:34 AM - Response #7

Your members can't see the Admin Forum or anything else listed in the Admin Functions section of the left hand menu, so don't worry about anyone "lurking" or getting into it. Only the members you choose can see it.

I'm not sure how you could have 2 Admin Forums, unless you mean topics in that Forum. You can have several of those.

We used the Admin Forum for a couple of reunions. I removed the Admin status for the committee members when it was no longer needed and added different members for the next one.

To give a member Admin Permission, go to Manage Classmates and search for their name. Click on Enter/Edit Classmates in the top box. Enter their name in the search box, and if it hasn't appeared before you finish, hit "Search". When on their page, scroll down and you will see "Grant Admin Access". Click the box to select. You will then see all the options you can give them. Look for Admin Forum. Click the box and scroll to bottom of the page and click on "Save Changes".

I think that covers it. Let me know if you need any other help.

Edited 12/08/22 5:12 AM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.