ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Yearbook(s) on site -- 101

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/18/24 03:53 PM Views: 180 Replies: 5
Monday, March 18, 2024 at 3:53 PM

I found some older posts about yearbooks, but I don't even know where to start.
1) I take my yearbook to a local Fedex/Kinko, and I scan 40 pages. Now I have 40 files, which (presumably) I will be able to carry out on a thumb drive.
2) I combine those 40 files? I saw posts about pdfs and flipbooks, but ... ??? How does that magic happen?
3) Now, magic having happened, I have one file which includes the 40 page images. Do I just create a new page on my site and attach that file?
Sorry to be a dunce about this. I am *really* reluctant to send my yearbooks to Classmates!

Monday, March 18, 2024 at 6:49 PM - Response #1

I'd create a separate page for your yearbook, with a flyout menu with separate pages for each section (ex. introduction, faculty, senior photos, underclassmen, activities, sports, etc.), then upload the appropriate scanned pages to each page of the flyout menu. See how to create a flyout menu starting at 4:52 of the video at this link: Your text to link here.... You may see examples of several flyout menus by clicking on our site.

There is also a wonderful program which is free, in which local libraries send their reference copies of yearbooks in to be scanned and published on archive.org. Here's the link to all the yearbooks from our high school, from 1962-2023: Your text to link here...

Edited 03/18/24 6:56 PM
Monday, March 18, 2024 at 6:57 PM - Response #2

Hi Dorothy,

There are several methods for placing yearbooks on your class website. The following is the procedure most commonly used:

1. Scan the yearbook pages. Most scanning software provides an "option" to combine all of the pages into one PDF file. That is what you would want do do.

2. Now that you would have a PDF file containing all of the yearbook pages, the next decision is how you would like to display the book on your website. There are many "flipbook" programs that will accept the PDF file and turn it into an online flip book. That is generally the best approach, however; most of them charge a fee.

3. Another option, though not nearly as nice as a flipbook, is to embed the PDF in a page on your site.

We use two different flipbook programs, YUMPU and Fliphtml5. Yumpu used to be free but not any more. Fliphtml5 charges a fee but is much nicer than YUMPU.

If you want to just upload the PDF file to a page on your site then look at the support topics here. There was a recent post that covered how to do that.

Sample FLIPhtml5 yearbook below.

Yearbook

Edited 03/18/24 7:13 PM
Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 3:14 AM - Response #3

There are other ways to do this using the actual images without creating a PDF. This creates a crisper easier-to-read page vs PDF stuff.

I played with a test script that flips the images. So all one needed to do was upload the images and then the script could flip the pages. I never finished it. To flip different images per side would need a lot more work.

I was going to make this an option for photocube but I figured the existing options were good enough.

Here's a sample test PAGE showing how it works.

That brings me to the final suggestion - although flipping looks cool, IMO those are not easy to read. I think using the actual images in a gallery is a better choice.

If JVphotocube is used, upload the images to the FILE vault (not the image vault) to keep the original resolution. Images with JVphotocube are full screen (per page), can automatically advance and pages are easier to read vs PDF type displays. Even the Classcreator gallery might work as well - although image quality is reduced.

The docs for JVphotocube are HERE.

Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 11:19 PM - Response #4

Hi Jack,

That is a VERY interesting Sample Test Flip Page you did. Do you have any plans to "publish" the code to implement it?

I took a peek at the page code and it appears that it may be a bit difficult for many users.

It looks GOOD!

Wednesday, March 20, 2024 at 12:34 AM - Response #5

Thanks for the feedback.

It's a lot of work to generalize the flip stuff. I was just interested in how to do it. Maybe later when it gets cold out again and I hate going outside Shocked

The user wouldn't see any of the stuff on the test page - just a script and an image list (same as JVphotocube). Maybe a different type choice? Making a test page with the code vs uploading a script is much easier/faster for development. Script caching is a royal PIA getting new script versions loaded. I have to upload the script, and then constantly clear a browser's cache to get a new version.

I was thinking of making the BIG image gallery display (that all of the current options do) another option. That's already a part of some of the other image displays. Instead of starting with the various formats, it would directly jump into "gallery" mode.

The main advantage over CC's gallery is that images are not reduced in resolution and maximize to the available screen space. It would be perfect for this case.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.