ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

customized link

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/18/08 05:13 PM Views: 3354 Replies: 12
Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 5:13 PM

My customize title in partly covered up by my school picture... How can I move it over ?

It's the Reunion Pictures tab...

Thank you.. Lynda

Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 10:21 PM - Response #1

Do not, ever, never, ever never never attempt to format your page using your space bar. This is such a strange concept for people, and I wish html didn't work this way myself, but the minute you put in more than 1 space in a row, in html it is assumed you want a thing called a hard space. So every time you hit space after the first space, you're interjecting hard spaces into your page. A hard space is no different from a letter. So hitting your space bar 30 times in a row has the same impact of typing in tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. The problem is, these t's (or in your case hard spaces) cannot wrap. So your site simply blows out because the browser has no choice but to honor those hard spaces.

You can read more about why sites can blow out, including how the various browsers out there handle these issues, in this thread.

You of course would have had no way of knowing this. In the future though, trust me, trying to format anything with the space bar will lead to more trouble than you'll believe. Instead, use the formatting options on your toolbar (left align, center, right align, etc.). And if you really need to get fancy with your layout, then use a table to hold your page elements, and set the border to 0 so nobody can see the actual table itself.

FYI, since I was in your page investigating anyway, I removed all of those hard spaces for you, and your page is fine now.

Edited 09/18/08 10:22 PM
Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 11:14 PM - Response #2

So that's what that thingy is called! Hard space. I've been wondering what the techy name was for it. Also didn't know what created it. I have all the questions people ask coming to my email so I can learn stuff and this is an "AHA" moment.
Thanks Brad.

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 4:38 AM - Response #3

That's the benefit of the forums. Smile

The minute you press your space bar two times in a row, you now have hard space code on your page. You really don't run into problems until you start pressing your space bar about 50 times in a row or so. But once you reach the level where you have so many hard spaces in a row that you've taken up the entire width of your page, now you start blowing out the page... It's such an odd concept that a space would not be able to wrap -- yet in html, that's exactly how hard spaces work.

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 12:30 PM - Response #4

I've noticed that a row of stars also do not wrap. Does that apply to all the other symbols I wonder. Will check next time I edit a page, but I bet you'll come back with an answer before I can do that, Brad, Mr. Speedy. Wasn't there a superhero that moved so fast he disappeared and reappeared, other that Superman? Can't remember what he was called.
Thanks Brad.

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 1:24 PM - Response #5

Yes a row of ****** will also have the same problem. If you put too many in a row, anyway... A row of ANYTHING can cause this. I've seen a hundred hard spaces in a row, a hundred stars in a row, a hundred equal signs in a row, even about 80 smiley faces in a row. All of these things have no way to wrap, and will blow out your site.

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 8:44 PM - Response #6

FYI, every time somebody has a formatting problem caused by hard spaces, I'm going to link to this thread for now on. So, here's EXACTLY how to fix this problem when it occurs:

1) Go into edit mode for the problematic page.
2) Click the source button in the upper left corner
3) Delete all instances you see of this: & n b s p ;

A hard space consists of the 6 characters you see above. You need to delete all 6 characters to delete 1 hard space. FYI, the n stands for non. The b stands for breaking. And the sp stands for space. So this "non breaking space" -- what I call a hard space -- is the culprit you want to remove from your code.

This will be very easy to spot when you're having a problem, because you'll see many of these in a row. It will look something like this:

& n b s p ;& n b s p ;& n b s p ;& n b s p ;& n b s p ;

Except you'll have way more in a row than that. Delete all of them. And then use your regular editing functions to format your page like you'd like. I.E. Use left justify, center, right justify, tables, bulleted lists, etc. to format your page.

Edited 09/19/08 8:47 PM
Friday, September 19, 2008 at 9:05 PM - Response #7

Thank you so much Brad..
I saw it was fixed the next day... Wasn't sure how ?!

Lynda

Monday, August 17, 2009 at 12:55 AM - Response #8

Brad, I need more margin space on the left side of the home page. It seems that I am not getting full use out of the left side. How can I fix that? I have tried to format using the ruler but I don't see a button for margins. I have seen other pages where the left margin is out wider to the left.

Thanks for your feedback.
Michael

Monday, August 17, 2009 at 1:51 AM - Response #9

Did you possibly paste in content from Microsoft Word or something like that? There were several extra margin tags in there. I zapped them. If you're pasting in content from Word make sure you use the "paste from Word" icon instead of the regular paste icon. Doing so will strip out any extra Word code that can cause issues like this. If that's not what you did then I'm not sure what caused the extra margin tags in the code, but in any case, they're gone.

Monday, August 17, 2009 at 2:02 AM - Response #10

Thanks! Yes, I pasted it, not from Word, but from Pages, the word processor made by Apple. That's because it had already been created and sent out to the class contacts list a couple of months ago via e-mail as a PDF attachment, before I joined Class Creator. I went ahead and added it into the Announcements and thanks to your help, it is no longer causing problems.

I spent seven months putting our contacts list together before hearing about Class Creator. I've been able to put everything I had created & sent out previously onto my new site, so that classmates can come to the site instead of my "going to them". This has been like heaven for me, designing a one-stop location for our class. The site has been up for only two weeks and I have already come to wonder how I ever got along without it.

~Michael

Edited 08/17/09 2:03 AM
Monday, August 17, 2009 at 2:24 AM - Response #11

Heh, great. Glad to hear it. Smile

Saturday, August 22, 2009 at 9:46 PM - Response #12

oh no, I also put hard spaces in my IN Memory because the system overlaps if you have a picture and words to add. I best go fix all of them. ugggg

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.