ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Message Forums and Member Forums

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/04/21 02:23 PM Views: 1025 Replies: 26
Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 2:23 PM

This is all new to me...how do I get these forums activated on my site... rhsclassof64.com

Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 2:29 PM - Response #1

Go to Edit Site Pages and they will be listed now in an inactive state so you can get them started before you take them live (add a starting message to Message Forums, Add at least one Thread/topic to the User Forums)

When you are ready to take them live go to Edit Site Pages > choose the page > Edit Link and make it active.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Monday, July 5, 2021 at 1:25 PM - Response #2

Thank you Jessica

Monday, July 5, 2021 at 1:48 PM - Response #3

Jessica what is Make Sticky? Brand new to this and 75 years old...please stay with me....hahahaha

Monday, July 5, 2021 at 1:51 PM - Response #4

I figured it out...it keeps that post at the top!!

Monday, July 5, 2021 at 2:01 PM - Response #5

Jessica which one of these forums will let me set up a group where only that group sees the messaging?

Monday, July 5, 2021 at 2:49 PM - Response #6

Greg, the message forum and user forums are just like other pages on your site. Under Admin Functions > Edit Site Pages > Message Forum/User Forums, you may restrict their visibility to classmates and block the general public from seeing them by clicking on "Edit Link" and then "Restrict to Classmates only." But you can't restrict their visibility to a group within your class.

Edit: after seeing Jessica's response #7 below, I stand corrected regarding the User Forum.

Edited 07/05/21 3:52 PM
Monday, July 5, 2021 at 3:45 PM - Response #7

The user forum does have an option to password protect a specific forum - when you choose Add Forum you will see a password option.

In most cases leave the password field blank. Only password protect an individual forum if you want only invited Classmates to whom you provide the password to participate.

If you are working with Admins specifically it is better to instead use the Admin Forums under Admin Functions - it is a copy of the User Forums that is only accessible to administrators so there is no need to password protect any of the forums in that section You will need to make sure that everyone you want to participate in an Admin Forum has Admin Rights for that link turned on.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, July 6, 2021 at 9:15 AM - Response #8

Thank you Jessica...that is what I was looking for..

Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 7:20 PM - Response #9

https://www.classcreator.com/Bloomington-Illinois-1972

I have a link on the left sidebar titled "Forums." I've already made two posts but notifications pertaining to a possible 50th Class Reunion have not gone out to any classmates. I have the forum marked active and have unchecked for classmates only so that it can be seen by anyone who can help me figure this out - help is needed and appreciated! Thanks! Smile

Friday, July 16, 2021 at 12:09 PM - Response #10

Does Class Creator still respond to support tickets? I created one on the 12th and then added my issue on this thread a few days ago with no response from anyone. Haven't needed any support for quite some time but in the past, CC was quick to respond to issues. Just hoping someone can help me figure out why my Forum page is not sending out notifications to anyone.

Friday, July 16, 2021 at 10:45 PM - Response #11
User Forum subscription options..jpg

I believe notifications only go out for new messages in the "Message Forum". When you add topics to the User Forums, you will probably need to notify your members that it is there. They can then select to receive an email when a post is added.

Members need to subscribe and select to be notified of any additions.

Edited 07/16/21 10:45 PM
Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 12:39 AM - Response #12

Thanks, Debbie for replying! For days I've been trying to figure out why notifications aren't going out and now I believe I have User Forums and Message Forums confused. I have the Notify Me option to receive a notification from the Message Forum but never got one after creating a New Topic ... probably because I'm in the User Forum and not the Message Forum. You cleared that up for me!Smile I will go ahead and send out a mass email to notify all classmates of the New Topic in the (user) Forum and instruct them to bullet the options for future notifications from that particular thread.

Thanks so much for your help!
Rhonda

Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 11:26 PM - Response #13

Jessica,
I'm STILL having trouble trying to get more than one 'page' on my 'Member Forum' link.
We are wanting a few more pages for different functions, one in particular, a 'Prayer Request' page.
Thanks!

Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 11:55 PM - Response #14

You are using the Message Forum, Steve. If you want to have different topics, you need to activate the User Forum. The Message Forum is more like a bulletin board. Members can ask questions, post comments, etc. It's a running commentary. The User Forum is broken up into different topics and a member can subscribe to any of those topics, and they will receive an email notice of additions, just like we do here on the Class Creator Forums.

Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 11:58 PM - Response #15

That is the issue - I can't find the User Forum in the
Edit Site Pages link.

Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 12:06 AM - Response #16

Maybe CC needs to turn it on for you. Both of those options were there when I started my site in 2010. Your site is a year older. I am not sure. Ask.

Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 12:09 AM - Response #17

Thanks!
Maybe they will.

Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 10:13 AM - Response #18

Steve,

You have always had both. Your user forums are labeled Prayer Requests and you correctly have it inactive. You can activate it under Edit Site Pages > Prayer Requests > Edit Link and check the check box for active as well as members only if you want the page to be private for your classmates who are signed in to be able to view.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 10:45 AM - Response #19

Please add these fora to my '62 site also.

Edited 09/26/21 10:46 AM
Sunday, September 26, 2021 at 4:58 PM - Response #20

Added to class of 62

Monday, September 27, 2021 at 10:26 AM - Response #21

Thank you, Jessica.

Sunday, December 5, 2021 at 12:28 PM - Response #22

1. Please add Message/Member Forums and User Forums to our site.

2. Why aren't these enabled initially?

Thanks!

Sunday, December 5, 2021 at 2:37 PM - Response #23

added

Monday, February 7, 2022 at 1:32 PM - Response #24

Can you please add User Forum to our site?

Monday, February 7, 2022 at 1:47 PM - Response #25

Hi Donna,

Added Smile

Kelcie
Class Creator Support

Wednesday, February 9, 2022 at 5:22 PM - Response #26

Thank you!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.