ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Digitizing Yearbooks Free Service for Schools

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/15/17 02:12 PM Views: 1957 Replies: 4
Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 2:12 PM

Free Yearbook Digitization/scanning.

Under another topic, Paul Addison see Messages 2 & 4 was talking about his multi-year website and that they had over 100 classes. Looking at his site I also noticed that he had over 100 yearbooks for all those years.

I was intrigued and discovered that it was stored on Archive.org (aka the Wayback Machine) and involved the
"Digitizing-sponsor OCI Yearbook Program."

I don't pretend to know much about this subject, but have found that OCI is Oklahoma Correctional Industries and "is an integral part of the Department of Corrections, it is more like a private business conglomerate working within the framework of state government." Link to Digital Scanning Page and offers FREE Yearbook scanning FOR SCHOOLS.

Here is some information from one school who has used this program Click Here I apologize in advance for not fully researching this, but perhaps this information will help get you started, and perhaps Paul will chime in.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 6:29 PM - Response #1

That site is pretty impressive. Getting all those yearbooks scanned is amazing.

Friday, August 18, 2017 at 5:16 PM - Response #2

A few years ago, my hometown library started sharing our yearbooks scanned by the inmates. I was excited and shared it on my class and alumni sites, including emailing members of both sites, and then they stopped uploading. There may be an issue about copyright? Huh? What about the benefit to alumni adding that it may hurt sites such as classmates.com that offer to sell you a copy?

I need a bundle of cash to spend time back home and hopefully, layout a wonderful working relationship with the school district beyond the partnership we have with each other; the school district sends alumni to the site. I'm all for the alumni, how to serve them and give back to our schools.

Thanks to Paul Addison for sharing his yearbook link and Gary S. for finding and sharing the information.

Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 3:05 PM - Response #3

Gary's link takes us to Oklahoma Corrections website. It appears they no longer offer the scanning.

Today, many high schools have graphics departments. Last year, students at my high school scanned my class's senior yearbook pages.

Edited 06/04/23 3:06 PM
Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 8:12 PM - Response #4

Our local library partnered with the Boston Public Library, Boston, MA to have our yearbooks digitized and hosted on the archive.org website for free. The books are beautifully digitized and accessible in many different modes. You may see our yearbooks by clicking here: Your text to link here...

I'd contact archive.org and see which library they partner with in your area. Our local library is getting ready to send in another five-year batch of yearbooks, for the years 2019-2023.

Edited 06/05/23 1:44 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.