ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Return to Top in Page Templates

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 02/04/09 04:01 PM Views: 1879 Replies: 8
Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Brad, when we add a link to "Return to Top" ourselves, it only returns as far up as the first bit of customized text (the highest point that we are able to place the anchor)...

Would it be possible to make that a feature of the page templates so that every page by default has a "return to top" link at the bottom of the page that returns to the very top of the page?

Don't know if that's a simple or difficult fix, but it's certainly not a high priority.

Thanks!
Terry

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 6:14 PM - Response #1

No not really, because we can't make the assumption that everyone wants that on their pages, and we can't have any real way of knowing if somebody's page is long, or short. On very short pages these links would look like clutter. Thus I think you're best off adding your own if/when you want them. I realize you can only send somebody back to the highest point of content, but I have to imagine most users would be ok with jumping back to where the content started.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 6:35 PM - Response #2

I don't know if this is on the list, but could we have several pre-defined Anchor Names, maybe name="_top_", and name="_SendInvite_" that are inserted in the page as anchor names. Then if we wanted to reference the anchor and jump to the top of the page, we could put an anchor tag (greater than and less than are missing) a href="#_TOP_" to go to the top or a href="#_SendInvite_" to go down to the Send Invite part of the home page.

The Anchor Names wouldn't display on the screen and clutter things, but when needed, they could still be used.

Sample anchors:
_TOP_ go to top of content
_BOTTOM_ go to bottom of content
_SendInvite_ go to the Missing Classmates window
_Birthdays_ go to the Upcoming Birthdays.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM - Response #3

Brad said:
Quote:

No not really, because we can't make the assumption that everyone wants that on their pages, and we can't have any real way of knowing if somebody's page is long, or short. On very short pages these links would look like clutter. Thus I think you're best off adding your own if/when you want them. I realize you can only send somebody back to the highest point of content, but I have to imagine most users would be ok with jumping back to where the content started.

Oh, well it was worth a try. I had no idea it was that complicated... I had imagined it could be set like a header/footer and auto"magically" appear at the bottom -- however long or short the page.

That's okay, I guess I can have my links read "Return Near the Top"... Wink

Thanks!
Terry

Edited 02/04/09 6:43 PM
Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM - Response #4

Kyle Erickson wrote:

I don't know if this is on the list, but could we have several pre-defined Anchor Names, maybe name="_top_", and name="_SendInvite_" that are inserted in the page as anchor names. Then if we wanted to reference the anchor and jump to the top of the page, we could put an anchor tag (greater than and less than are missing) a href="#_TOP_" to go to the top or a href="#_SendInvite_" to go down to the Send Invite part of the home page.

The Anchor Names wouldn't display on the screen and clutter things, but when needed, they could still be used.

Sample anchors:
_TOP_ go to top of content
_BOTTOM_ go to bottom of content
_SendInvite_ go to the Missing Classmates window
_Birthdays_ go to the Upcoming Birthdays.

Good idea, we can at least put in a top anchor for now. Then you can link to it all ya want. We'll call it simply "top".

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 11:59 PM - Response #5

Could we also have a Missing Classmate anchor name? The reason is because we can't order the windows now and Missing Classmates is all the way down in the corner.

Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 1:24 AM - Response #6

The home page edit area redo w/ right module sort feature is in development right now. I.E. it's no longer a pending task, it's actually being actively worked on and will be launching soon. Thus you'll soon be able to locate that box exactly where you want it.

Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 10:04 AM - Response #7

Brad Switzer wrote:

The home page edit area redo w/ right module sort feature is in development right now. I.E. it's no longer a pending task, it's actually being actively worked on and will be launching soon. Thus you'll soon be able to locate that box exactly where you want it.

That's great news, because right now my "Return to Top" link feels really awkward on my home page. Because I have all my Announcements at the top, my return link doesn't even bring the user high enough to see the left navigation links. Sad

Is there a way I can put the anchor in my announcements for the meantime?

Thanks,
Terry

Thursday, February 5, 2009 at 12:06 PM - Response #8

Never mind, Brad. Figured this one out myself... I created an anchor in my first announcement, then edited my home page via the source code (I'd forgotten about that) Smile

Terry

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.