ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Instant Messaging - Enhancement

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 09/11/10 01:19 AM Views: 2049 Replies: 9
Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 1:19 AM

would it be possible to add something like the Windows Live Messenger Nudge to the Instant messageing process. Basically its a way for someone to generate a noise to someone to let them know that they are expected to particiapate in the session.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 9:36 AM - Response #1

Thank you for your suggestion Charles.

I'd be a little reluctant to add it here. IM on the web exists within an exact region so we wouldn't be able to duplicate that exact shaking function anyway but I'm sure we could come up with something more loud/shaking of some kind that would get people's attention. I'm just not sure we want to though. Nudging is kind of like the difference between saying hello to somebody calmly and screaming hello at them. Some people find this kind of thing annoying. The current IM window pops open whenever an IM comes through so unless you're not sitting at your computer you're surely going to notice it. My two cents is this is all that's necessary on Class Creator and adding a more dramatic way of IM'ing somebody only adds unnecessary complexity to the interface. There's something to be said for keeping things simple and usable. Having said that though, these forums exist so everybody can weigh in, and I've certainly been overruled here plenty of times by the likes and dislikes of the Admins. So that's my two cents. What's yours?

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM - Response #2

Brad:

This frustrates me no end, but I am with you on this and I will tell you why. More and more people are hiding themselves on Facebook and our class site because they don't want to "chat". Maybe this is an age thing (or gender thing, don't you dare say anything about that!) but I have people telling me this.

Personally I like chatting (surprise, surprise) but I am hearing more and more that people are avoiding it. That said, don't do away with it! It will be interesting to see what this generates.

Denise

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 10:29 AM - Response #3

Brad,
I agree with you that the IM window popping open is adequate. There are many of us who would be annoyed by additional nudging, and I would be one. I think it's wonderful to have the IM option for my classmates, but I know there are many of us who just don't care to use features like this and would rather they just function in a low-key fashion. Thanks!

Diana

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 10:54 AM - Response #4

Want to make it clear we're certainly not contemplating doing away with it. Some people love it, some people don't, some want it on at some times but not other times, etc. This is why we've included the various privacy functions.

1) Any Classmate can click the Edit Profile link and turn off their Instant Messenger completely if they want to
2) If they don't, they can go into "Do Not Disturb" mode or hide completely from others.

Each member can decide how they want to use this feature or choose to opt out entirely.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM - Response #5

I agree with Brad, I know he has done his research.
Classmate Jimmy Z

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 12:02 PM - Response #6

I seriously doubt that any of my classmates have ever used IM. I can say that with confidence, since I know that only three people ever posted in the Member messages and no has ever posted in my Cougar Forums. I have since removed these latter two. I have used the IM feature mostly to see if there is anyone logged in or not, so I can test a new page. For that, it works great! Probably never crossed anyone's mind, and what a waste of a great resource (my opinion), just glad to have it though. I've never been able to get anyone interested in Live Chat though. I ring them and they can't seem to log off fast enough...Hrrrmmpph!

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 1:45 PM - Response #7

For those of us who work with multiple window tabs open at one time, a subtle sound that's different from the ping - "new person has arrived on site" could be nice. Or, another possibility ... I'm trying to remember if the tab blinks here when a new message is posted like it does on Facebook. I don't know if that would come from the Browser or Class Creator?

LOL..I was contemplating a request regarding IM today too, so two for the price of one?

Wondering if the IM window and Who's online window that shows up on the homepage, could be made scalable, because it is covering my great background today! I know I can minimize, but it would be nice if the window for # of Members online could grow as more people show up and a new chat window would only show intros, with a suggestion to move to the full chat window once a conversation begins. I imagine that this would make a lot more work for Brad and team. Please know, I'm just thrilled to have chat available. Maybe this suggestion could go at the bottom of Brad's already long list?

Sorry to make this a long post, but engineer husband was just looking over my shoulder. He questioned the first chat window that pops up when you invite someone to talk. He wasn't convinced that the conversation I might have with a classmate there would be "Private", as I am given the option to switch to "private". I'm wondering if this might be why so many people don't answer new IM requests...they fear that anyone who stops by on the homepage will see their conversation? If there are directions that explain that first chat window, I don't remember seeing them.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM - Response #8

Given the wide age range using CC, the current chat capabilities seem more than adequate. Several of our class use Live Chat, but only a couple have ever used IM. In fact, I turned it off for 3 weeks or so, and no one noticed. Adding another level of complexity will only make it more difficult for many users.

Brad, your instincts for enhancements seem right on.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 7:43 PM - Response #9

If you click the blue ? symbol in the IM window you can read the instructions. It's standard for any IM to be private. But if you read the instructions you'll see right near the top:

"To chat privately with a fellow member simply click his or her name in the Members panel. Each Member's name you click on will spawn a private messaging window as seen below."

If you then elect to enter a Private Chat that is also private of course -- unless you choose to invite additional members to the private chat, in which case it would be private amongst any members you've chosen to invite.

Ruth, with the current IM technology the window will not be scalable, just scrollable if more Classmates are online than fit in the window.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.