ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

My anchor isn't working

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/01/09 10:00 PM Views: 1713 Replies: 11
Friday, May 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I found a graphic of a dragon breathing out fire that turns into the word 'email' so I want to set that link up as an anchor to take the person right to the Contact Us page, only not at the top of the page, but directly to the portion where they would type in their email.

I created an anchor on a blank line underneath my text with the name 'sendemail'. Then I went to the Edit Site Pages, and clicked on the Homepage. I clicked on the graphic, hit the anchor button, keyed in '#sendemail' (and the little anchor icon appeared to the left of the graphic) and saved it, but when I tried to test it, I click and nothing happens.

Help please!!

Friday, May 1, 2009 at 10:36 PM - Response #1

No clue. I looked at the dragon and there was no link assigned to him at all, so I added a link to your named anchor on your contact page (which you created perfectly) and testing clicking the dragon and the link works fine.

Monday, May 4, 2009 at 2:56 PM - Response #2

Brad Switzer wrote:

No clue. I looked at the dragon and there was no link assigned to him at all, so I added a link to your named anchor on your contact page (which you created perfectly) and testing clicking the dragon and the link works fine.

I don't know what's going on, but I tried to click on the dragon at home and at work and the anchor still isn't working.

Monday, May 4, 2009 at 3:12 PM - Response #3

What is it not doing that you want it to do? I clicked on it right now in both IE and Firefox and it goes to your contact page and then jumps right to your anchor like it's supposed to. If you're not seeing that try clearing your cache and then try it again.

Monday, May 4, 2009 at 9:19 PM - Response #4

Brad Switzer wrote:

What is it not doing that you want it to do? I clicked on it right now in both IE and Firefox and it goes to your contact page and then jumps right to your anchor like it's supposed to. If you're not seeing that try clearing your cache and then try it again.

I am not sure what is going on. Apparently, the anchor is working ok for you, but I cleared my cache, and I couldn't get it to work at home or at work. I just tried to set another, but that isn't working either. I wanted to set the words 'Back to the top of this page' at the bottom of the homepage so that by clicking on them, you would be redirected to the top of the homepage, but again, nothing happens. I don't know!!!

Monday, May 4, 2009 at 9:46 PM - Response #5

Let's focus just on the first one until we can figure this out. You're clicking on the little tiny dragon at the very bottom of your home page, correct?

Monday, May 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM - Response #6

Brad Switzer wrote:

Let's focus just on the first one until we can figure this out. You're clicking on the little tiny dragon at the very bottom of your home page, correct?

No, I was trying to set the dragon directly above where the announcements start...he breathes fire and it turns into the word 'EMAIL'. The dragon at the very bottom of the page is just a counter.

Monday, May 4, 2009 at 11:34 PM - Response #7

Well silly me! I made the dragon at the bottom work. Click him and you'll see how great it all works. Smile

ANYWAY! Just move the action from one dragon to the other, and you'll be all set. Smile

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at 8:52 AM - Response #8

Brad Switzer wrote:

Well silly me! I made the dragon at the bottom work. Click him and you'll see how great it all works. Smile

ANYWAY! Just move the action from one dragon to the other, and you'll be all set. Smile

Brad,

I FINALLY figured it out! I thought once you set the anchor on one page, you had to apply a link to that anchor by clicking on the anchor button again...not adding a link. I clicked on the dragon that you set and saw what you did. I'm such an idiot! Thank you very much for your help...I did end up setting my dragon counter at the bottom of the page as my return to the top of the page link and I got my email dragon to work too! Thank goodness!

Again, thanks for your help...I really appreciate it!

Vicki

Monday, January 18, 2010 at 5:55 PM - Response #9

Brad - Stupid question #37,674: What's a cache & how do you clear it & why? Dale
P.S. Steep learning curve in Dec., but I'm SO much more savvy than when I began. If I don't know what a cache is, imagine what I didn't know last month!

Monday, January 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM - Response #10

Dale Clark wrote:

Brad - Stupid question #37,674: What's a cache & how do you clear it & why? Dale
P.S. Steep learning curve in Dec., but I'm SO much more savvy than when I began. If I don't know what a cache is, imagine what I didn't know last month!

This is Kyle, but maybe I can answer your question.

A "CACHE" just means temporary storage on your hard drive. It is used by the browser to store images and browser content so it doesn't need to go to the Internet all the time. It is used by the browser to speed up delivery of content to you.

Sometimes, you upload a different graphic (maybe the school photo or logo or a classmate photo) to your website and it has the exact same name. The browser doesn't know that the file being requested is different than what is in the cache, so it just retrieves the image from the cache.

This can give you wrong page results because the WEB SERVER (where your real content is stored) has a different copy than is being delivered to your browser. It makes you think that you didn't upload the photo or that there is a problem with ClassCreator, when in fact, the cache is just delivering the wrong version.

This is one reason that the cache (your local copies of graphics for your browser) needs to be cleared once in a while.

Monday, January 18, 2010 at 7:22 PM - Response #11

Thanks much, Kyle. I appreciate your help. I should have Googled this first instead of taking your time to answer a general question. Will keep to specific CC ques. in the future. Don't want to burn out your patience.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.