ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Chat Topics?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/05/10 09:58 AM Views: 1404 Replies: 5
Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I have taken the plunge, and sent out an all class invitation for a chat on our site tonight (invites to 126 classmates). Now I'm worrying about keeping things interesting, while keeping people in line. We did a smaller group chat recently, and one of the fellows took over the process with his own agenda, which I fear was not too interesting to the rest.

It seems we need a moderator (likely me) to help people along...bring up topics etc. Does anyone have suggestions of a way to do this? Should I put up some topic ideas on the main page that can be seen before entering the chat? Or, try to control things a bit, by inserting a "topic of conversation" as we go? ...if so, what? I'm thinking of doing something like posting, "NEW TOPIC" .."name your favorite vacation spot". I don't like this a lot, but I don't want to spend the entire time talking about why our next reunion should be skinny dipping at the local river (last weeks topic) LOL.....

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 12:49 PM - Response #1

I have taken the plunge, and sent out an all class invitation for a chat on our site tonight (invites to 126 classmates). Now I'm worrying about keeping things interesting, while keeping people in line. We did a smaller group chat recently, and one of the fellows took over the process with his own agenda, which I fear was not too interesting to the rest.

It seems we need a moderator (likely me) to help people along...bring up topics etc. Does anyone have suggestions of a way to do this? Should I put up some topic ideas on the main page that can be seen before entering the chat? Or, try to control things a bit, by inserting a "topic of conversation" as we go? ...if so, what? I'm thinking of doing something like posting, "NEW TOPIC" .."name your favorite vacation spot". I don't like this a lot, but I don't want to spend the entire time talking about why our next reunion should be skinny dipping at the local river (last weeks topic) LOL.....

Ruth Music
Battle Creek Central High School
Class of '68

Ruth,

What I do is take a look at the profile of those in the chat room. You can do this by clicking on there name. I then ask the ones not "chatting" a question about there profile like how did you enjoy your work or how are those grandchildren doing. Or what does your spouse do ect. I keep and eye on the Dots beside there name, that shows there status. When one goes to red I ask them a question to keep them involved. You can ask about Christmas and what they did. The easiest is to pick up on what they are saying and expand from there (except for the skinney dipping).

Hope this helps,
Dave

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM - Response #2

This helps a LOT!!!! Thanks Dave!!

btw: I haven't run into the red dot. When does that happen?

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM - Response #3

It happens when one of the "chatters" has ben idle for about 5 min.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM - Response #4

Dave, I really like your site's background (records and music notes). Mind telling me where you found that ?

Thanks Lynda

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 at 2:20 PM - Response #5

Hi Lynda,

I have found the easiest way to "borrow" pictures, backgrounds, gifs, ect is to right click on them and then save to the file you want on your computer. I have a file on the desktop that I use to store these.

I found the one you like at one of the following sites: www.allfreebackgrounds.com , infoservemedia.com ,populardownloads.com and another fun one for football fans is imyam.com

Hope this helps,

Dave

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.