ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Registry Domains of America letter

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/24/10 12:05 AM Views: 2000 Replies: 9
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Was just wondering has anyone else received a letter from this place to renew your domain with them? I figured they must have gotten my info from my site and know they have no affiliation with here. Not to mention the price they are wanting to charge is almost $30 more.
Thought I'd ask

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM - Response #1

Once you own a domain, you'll find you get lots of offers to 'renew' it -- Some are legitimate companies seeking to get you to switch; most are simply trying to have you send them money for which they aren't entitled.

Check the FAQs here and you'll find more information.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 12:40 AM - Response #2

Domain Registry of America is a company that uses domain ownership listings to attempt to scam domain owners into switching to their service. They charge more and often charge for things like hosting which you don't need with your site. They send out notices that look like an invoice and have caused confusion and headaches for admins who never intended to make the change. If you registered through this site your renewal will be from Classnames.net and reminders come through email several months before your domain expires.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 9:38 AM - Response #3

Yes I got one from Internet Corporation Listing Service for annual website search engine listing for $65.00 a year. Looks like an invoice. But I didn't reply, was wondering about it, thanks for the info. It will be going in the trash.
Gary

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 4:12 PM - Response #4

Thanks for bringing it up. I too received one yesterday. It did say " this notice is not a bill, it is rather an easy means of payment should you decide to switch your domain registration to the Domain Registry of America."
What's a concern is that I didn't register with them, yet they got my domain name and date it expires.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM - Response #5

Unless you pay a few extra bucks for privacy protection when you purchase a domain name, andybody can get that info. That's just how domains work unfortunately. And it leads to several scam artists that try to switch your domain name on you (for a much higher price to boot).

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 5:12 PM - Response #6

Thelma Alcordo wrote:

What's a concern is that I didn't register with them, yet they got my domain name and date it expires.

This information is public knowledge and can be found out on the Internet by anyone. That is partly why the problem exists.

It needs to be available to be found on the Internet because there are several companies that register domain names. If the information wasn't available to the public, there would be no way to know which domain names are available to be purchased.

Unfortunately, there are scammers that use this informaiton to try and rip off unsuspecting people.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 7:52 PM - Response #7

Good Evening Brad & Kyle,

Any information that adds to our general awareness helps when we're trying to outgrow the fear of the unknown whether its another terrorist attack or a natural disaster or the next epidemic and in this case from scam artists. Information sharing helps everyone. Thanks.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM - Response #8

Brad/Kyle,

I have paid for privacy protection, in doing so, I'm wondering if my domain is "locked?" I certainly don't want some one of these "low-life" scammers to be able to transfer our domains without our knowledge/permission.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM - Response #9

Hi John,

Your domain is Locked. All domains at classnames.net default to locked status. The owner would need to unlock the domain in order for a transfer to complete.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.