ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Search box in Message Forum

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/01/09 12:27 PM Views: 1292 Replies: 5
Friday, May 1, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Is there any way to enable "search" within my class' Message Forum? I have had several classmates ask for this feature,so they can search for specific postings.
Our Message Forum is VERY busy!

Friday, May 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM - Response #1

Holey smokes, you're not kiddin'!

Unfortunately the answer to your question is no. We are no longer supporting or adding any new features to the original message forum, althogh you are welcome to keep using it.

I recommend switching to the new threaded message forums (especially in your case) that work like our forums here work. In the new forums you have all kinds of new featuers, such as ability to subscribe to specific forum threads, photo avatars, the search feature you're asking for, and far more. You can activate the threaded message forums on your site by clicking your Edit Site Pages link and then activating the User Forums.

Friday, May 8, 2009 at 6:17 PM - Response #2

Can we do a keyword search within the data files that are stored on your server for our reunion? We do not want to mess with the software--we only want to search the data files. Can you get or do you have a site search plugin?

Friday, May 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM - Response #3

There is no internal site search tool currently as you've pointed out. Do you envision this being something for admins, or something all Classmates can see?

Friday, May 8, 2009 at 10:45 PM - Response #4

It would be available for all Classmates. I have had this request from a number of classmates on our site.

The information you gave me on User Forums would have probably worked when we first set up the site (I was not admin then), but after discussing it with some of my website guru classmates, we decided it would be more confusing than helpful at this point in the game. The Message Forum is pretty much a community gathering place, so we're just going to leave well enough alone. As you saw, it is REALLY popular! The chat room has been getting a lot of traffic when they are discussing things which should NOT be retrievable! Smile

Friday, May 8, 2009 at 11:10 PM - Response #5

Ok. Adding to list of things to discuss after more high priority items (live chat, instant messaging, threaded email, etc). I can certainly see how a search feature could be beneficial on some sites (especially larger sites, alumni sites, etc).

Edited 05/15/09 5:28 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.