ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Sites for graphics

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/12/09 03:01 PM Views: 1673 Replies: 11
Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM

What are some sites that have graphics free or for sale like the Beatles concert ticket and the record spindle...things from the 60s to add to our corkboard pages? Does classcreator have any for us to use other than the pushpins?

Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM - Response #1

We don't really have images available, no, but I can tell you what we did when working with some of our themed designs.

First, there's the expensive way of getting photos, and that's using places such as corbis.com. Great stuff, but you pay the price.

Then there are photo clearing houses that have MUCH better prices -- sometimes only a few dollars for images. We used a lot of these places, such as istockphoto.com and bigstuckphoto.com. For video clips we often use shutterstock.com. A Google search for "cheap stock photos" will bring up other photo discount houses.

Finally, another thing we did sometimes is find somebody's photo and then crop out just a piece of it (i.e. search Google photos or Yahoo photos). For example that '45 record spindle you see was a part of an amateur photograph. We cropped out just the spindle, which was red at the time, and in Photoshop recolored it yellow. If you do something like this, the reality is even the person who took the photo wouldn't realize the spindle came from their photo. Clearly you don't want to just "take" somebody's entire photo and use it without permission, but if you crop and alter just one element from a photo to the point it becomes unique, you should be ok.

Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM - Response #2

Betty,
I have a yellow record spindle on my home page.. You are welcome to right click on it and save image to your files..

Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM - Response #3

Betty, I just found this very cool site...
http://www.imagechef.com/

Maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but some very fun stuff to do with it. Bonita PS. Reading Brad's reply, I learned something new as well...it's a good thing...Smile

Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM - Response #4

Gee, somehow I missed that we have corkboard pages. How do we get there?

Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 3:53 PM - Response #5

You will find lots of good clipart sites here...and much more! I am always updating these bookmarks!

Hope you are able to find something you are looking for here.Smile

Reunion Lady:
Here is a post Brad made quite a while ago which include links to the corkboard backgrounds:

Here's a link to a quick sample page I made that contains a table with the corkboard background: Corkboard Background

And here's a link to the corkboard background image itself:
Corkboard Image

Here is the thread with alot more info.:

Corkboard Thread

Edited 03/12/09 4:05 PM
Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM - Response #6

Thanks! I appreciate the help. Don't know how I missed his post, but I obviously did!

Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 4:43 PM - Response #7

I also find a lot of graphics on Photobucket.com.

Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM - Response #8

I really appreciate your mentioning Imagechef! A tremendous help!Very Happy

Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 8:56 PM - Response #9

Great! I see you used it (Imagechef) already!! Looks great!!!! Bonita

Thursday, March 12, 2009 at 8:59 PM - Response #10

"Mrs. Kern" comes through with yet more cool stuff!!! Wow, some great sites there..! Thanks Anita, Bonita

Friday, March 13, 2009 at 8:51 AM - Response #11

As always, thanks for all of your responses and willingness to share. I had done a search before posting the question and as you know there are LOTS of sites out there. Knowing sites that have worked for you really helps narrow it down. One I found that has inexpensive downloads I like is fotolia.com

Betty

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.