ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Counts on Profiles Key / Legend

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 01/21/09 08:45 PM Views: 1239 Replies: 8
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 8:45 PM

The "Classmate Profiles" Key / Legend has a count of the classmates who are planning to attend the reunion. Does it make sense, in the grander scheme of things, to add the count on the other items?

"For what?" you might ask. Occasionally, I like to report statistics to classmates and especially to the reunion committee. Currently, I download the classmates, do Excel "countif"s, sometimes a pivot table, to create my data. If there were a count for the "legend" items, it would contribute to my laziness, for which I would be forever grateful, sufficiently grateful to send multiple plates of virtual brownies! My only count would need to be on the number of classmates who have e-addresses that haven't joined.

My motto "If I can teach the computer to do it, why should I do it repetitively" OK, that is indeed my philosophy, now I just need to work on making the motto more succinct, which this post is NOT!

Edited 01/21/09 8:49 PM
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM - Response #1

Can we upgrade this offer from virtual brownies to real brownies? If I stick real brownies under the noses of the programmers maybe their heads will stop spinning for just a moment... What do you think?

Ok seriously, I think this is a very good request. Not just because you won't have to download and count the info anymore, although I'm certainly glad it will be beneficial for you in that regard. But moreover, I think the count next to the key items is an interesting "curiousity factor" for people. I.E. how many Classmates are participating? How many of them have current Profiles? How many of them have died? How many of them have served in the military? It's kind of interesting knowing these things "just because." Or so it seems to me. What say you?

Edited 01/21/09 9:26 PM
Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 11:39 AM - Response #2

Hmmm! How do I send real brownies to a virtual address!!??

Indeed, indeed! Guess I'm somewhat statistics oriented - numbers give a summary and folks can let their curiosity lead them to the drilling below for the details!

Now, to push my luck, all I'd like to see is a count of folks with e-mail addresses (something in the e-address field), then, my laziness would be totally satisfied! Actually, that's not really needed as the count I have cannot change unless someone joins or I enter an e-mail address and those are easy to track.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 12:46 PM - Response #3

Where exactly would you like to see this count? Obviously it doesn't belong in the Classmate Profiles key. You can of course already pull your Class List into Excel, click the email field, and see the # of email address you have right there as you've pointed out above. Or use your data in any way you want. Are you really trying to get us to save you 30 seconds of time to get this number inside the system without even sending any real brownies over here for the hungry programmers? You really ARE pressing your luck! Wink

Edited 01/22/09 12:50 PM
Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 1:26 PM - Response #4

Why doesn't it belong in the key?

Couldn't it be represented in the following manner:
Military (3)
Attending Reunion (10)
In Memory (6)

Since you have to access the database anyway to figure out if you need to show the filter, why don't you get a count at the same time.

Oops... Maybe I spoke too soon. The above comment (from Brad) was for the display of the E-mail count.

Edited 01/22/09 1:28 PM
Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 1:32 PM - Response #5

BS (appropriate initials???): You are tooo funny!!! I hereby officially unpress my luck!Wink

Where do I send real brownies???

Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 1:32 PM - Response #6

Maybe for the E-mail count, put that on the bottom of the class_Admin_last_logins.cfm page. (statistics/List Users and last login dates) Since that page can already be used to display the classmates with E-mail, just display a count on this page.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 1:34 PM - Response #7

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Oops... Maybe I spoke too soon. The above comment (from Brad) was for the display of the E-mail count.

Not to worry, my fingers often get ahead of my thinking. Indeed it was regarding the count of e-mail addresses. And being as there is no icon for "has an e-mail address", it really doesn't make sense to add a count.

I agree with Brad that it's not worth their effort when there are so many more pressing enhancements to be done.

Edited 01/22/09 1:35 PM
Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM - Response #8

Ruth Flinn wrote:

BS (appropriate initials???): You are tooo funny!!! I hereby officially unpress my luck!Wink

Where do I send real brownies???

I'll never tell. Because if I did and you actually sent them, then I'd feel guilty. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.