ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Whitelisting

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/23/19 11:21 AM Views: 600 Replies: 9
Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 11:21 AM

I host a simi-monthly luncheon for our local classmates.therefore I create a new event 6 times a year. When I setup the December 2019 event and put it online all of my notifications started going to my junk mail instead of my inbox.

I receive birthday notices and other Classcreator email to my inbox without this problem.

I have whitelisted ClassCreator’s noreply@classcreator.net in my contacts.

I have been having this event for 12 years without this kink of problem.

I use a pc running Win10, and an iPad Air 3 ipadios13.1

Any ideas out there?

Randy Jennings
Www.seahawkluncheon.org

Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 1:31 PM - Response #1

"Junk" and anti-spam/malware tests are used by most ISP's and many mail client programs. How they test and what they look for is 'secret' to avoid giving the spammners and malware designer any clues, and they update what they check for quite often so an email that's 'clean' one day could be tagged as 'spam' tomorrow.

We know many of the things they check for - like "From" names of known spammers, common spam Subject lines or wording ("Free" and other key words automatically trigger additional testing), suspicious words or phrases in an email's content, and of course, attachments that could be malware.

In our case, the notify Subject lines have been changed several times to avoid 'standard' spam checks. But a notify email often contains text - or part of the text from a comment or message, and that can still trigger a spam/junk hit.

Whitelisting will often minimize some of the checking, but spammers can spoof/fake the sender name (I see email in my spam bucket that appears to come from me - to me) so whitelisting is overridden at times if the other checks find some well known spam trigger.

Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 3:29 PM - Response #2

Great information to know John.
Thanks!

Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 4:46 PM - Response #3

Thank you. Still not sure why all of a sudden all my Classcreator notifications are going to my junk mail and how to eliminate that from happening.

Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 5:53 PM - Response #4

I have had this occur a few time with other providers.
I simply found the email in the SPAM folder and brought it up, and selected 'Not Spam.'
With that said, I have never been able to determine WHY this happens.
{To err is human, to really foul things up takes a computer.}

Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 6:08 PM - Response #5

Thank You

Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 6:08 PM - Response #6

Thank You

Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 8:06 PM - Response #7

Steve has a point, and it's one I should have mentioned. I was working with someone who said he was no longer getting any notify emails. Sure enough, they were all in his spam folder. It appeared that once one was tagged as spam, anything from that point on from that sender was automatically diverted to the spam folder. Marking them all as "Not Spam" and moving them to his Inbox resolved the problem. We looked at the first one that got tagged, but could not see anything we could determine as the cause.

Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 4:23 PM - Response #8

Something I recently noticed about gmail and yahoomail [at least in MY accounts]

They both have the 'spam' icon next to the 'delete' icon.

Poor placement, in my opinion.

e.g. - a user could easily pick the spam icon instead of the delete icon, and then everything from that point on, from that email address, will go to spam.

Make sense?

Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 6:14 PM - Response #9

For gmail, the delete icon is a trashcan, and the spam icon, to the left of the trashcan, is a stop sign with an exclamation point in the middle of it. I can see if someone is careless, they could click on the spam icon, but the space between the icons is generous, so it shouldn't be a problem, if you take your time.

Edited 02/02/20 6:17 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.