ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Screwed up the join process

Forums: Class Connection Facebook App
Created on: 03/06/14 03:14 PM Views: 2618 Replies: 59
Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I inadvertently created a non-existent class on facebook with my school's name (Weber, not Weber High) - and can now VISIT my actual class site on the facebook app, but can't figure out how to delete my "join" nor how to join my actual class...

I also expect others to have this problem, since the glitch happened when I selected the old location of the school (in Ogden, UT where it was when we went to school, not in Pleasantville, UT where it is now)

Embarassed

Any help in correcting the problem - and helping other classmates not make the same mistake later would be appreciated.

Edited 03/06/14 4:42 PM
Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM - Response #1

All right a few things here:

1) I removed you from the app.

2) Please open up your Facebook, go into Settings, then Apps, and delete Class Connection

3) Now rejoin under your correct school name.

It's a unique scenario you have here. I can see why people could easily select Ogden in the wrong city. Because it really does need to be listed in both though there's not a good solution. At least not using the convention app join page. I simply wouldn't use it. Just guide your classmates to join from the "Class Connection" link under your Member Links on your web site. Or turn on the Facebook announcement right hand module. If your classmates click either of those two things they're guaranteed to join the correct class 100% of the time.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 6:24 PM - Response #2

OK, thanks for the prompt help. I'm in. And will go back to the rest of the intro videos and learn more before I do more.

One more Q. Right around the time you started getting the fb piece in, our page (on the regular site, not the new fb page) began not showing the Home Page announcement content until after scrolling through a ton of white space.

I'd had this problem before and solved it by by making the graphic elements narrower - and I haven't changed any of those in many months.

And I just looked back at the first bunch of announcements and none are that wide.

So just a coincidence or related? And in any case, any suggestions??

Edited 03/06/14 6:25 PM
Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM - Response #3

Hint: All announcements move as a single block. If any of the announcements are too wide, you will get your "ton of white space"
You can see which announcement is causing the problems by going to POST ANNOUNCEMENT, then clicking the PREVIEW ONLY button for each announcement. If the text appears at the top of the page, that announcement is not causing the problem, check the next active announcement to see if it is causing the problem. Repeat. When you find an announcement that is displaying on the home page as the only announcement and it is below the ton of white space, that is the announcement causing problems.

I have reviewed it and it is announcement number 2. See if you can fix the problem. If not, reply back and I will look deeper and fix it for you.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 7:22 PM - Response #4

I didn't know about using preview as a way to interactively check on this issue, thanks....

...all good now. Very Happy

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 8:17 AM - Response #5

Brad, I too made a mistake when signing on to Class Connection. I accidentally hit the wrong school and now can't figure out how to get on my Culkin site. Will you delete it, so that I can do it correctly.

Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM - Response #6

Annie you have been removed from the app. Please log into Facebook then click Settings, Apps, and delete Class Connection. Then log into your class web site and click the Class Connection link under your Member Links. You'll now be joined under the right class.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 12:08 PM - Response #7

I need help too. I hadn't had enough coffee this morning apparently! I did not turn on the app under preferences before I joined the app on FB. I went back, turned it on, and removed the app from FB. Now when I try to redo it, it sees me, I say join, and it goes back to the beginning screen. Sorry, but I've screwed it up. Can you help? Pretty please?

Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 4:33 PM - Response #8

I'm a bit confused on this one. "Lynn Cunningham" is not a member of Class Connection. If you EVER completed the join process, even without the app turned on, you should be. I can only assume somehow you didn't fully finish joining the first time.

Assuming I'm right on that, then there shouldn't be any problem with you going in and joining. What happens when you click your "Class Connection" link under your Member Functions on your regular web site? Tell me exactly how far you get when you do that please.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM - Response #9

I go to the page, put in "Lone Oak", and select the right one, then enter my year "1979", I say allow for the app permissions, i get the green bar saying 'completing', then it just reverts back to the join screen. I've looked and the app shows up in my FB apps. I've tried removing the app and starting over, do the same steps, and it does the same thing. When I look under members on my class site, my name does not have the Class Connection app sign next to it. I have no clue. My husband is a guest member, and it worked when I signed him up. Just won't work for me.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM - Response #10

Ok, I want to be absolutely sure on this: You're clicking the "Class Connection" link under Member Functions on your regular class web site, correct? You're not accessing the app any other way?

Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM - Response #11

I have tried it that way and by going to the app under FB. (can't remember which way I did first). I've tried it multiple times.

Friday, March 14, 2014 at 12:34 AM - Response #12

You're using Firefox correct? Click the upper left orange Firefox tab and then click Options. Then click the Privacy icon. What is your "Remember History" dropdown currently set to?

Friday, March 14, 2014 at 1:27 AM - Response #13

It is set to "remember history"...

I had a feeling I knew where you are going with this, so deleted all the history and the cookies, and now it is working! Thank you, I should have thought of this before I bothered you!

Edited 03/14/14 3:04 AM
Friday, March 14, 2014 at 8:37 AM - Response #14

Glad it is now working!

Saturday, March 15, 2014 at 10:36 AM - Response #15

I think that I messed up as well ... joined CC on FB instead of setting it up first. Alexis I. du Pont High School - 1988 - Greenville, DE

Thanks!

Kirsten Cerchio O'Quinn

Saturday, March 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM - Response #16

No problem Kirsten! Please do exactly this:

1) Log into Facebook, click Settings, Apps, and delete Class Connection.
2) Log into your class web site and click the "Class Connection" link under Member Functions.
3) Click the blue Join Class button, and accept the app permissions.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM - Response #17

I did that and now when I to join, it looks like it is trying to link to the website, but then it flips me back to the "connect with your class page", but won't connect. The two don't seem to be talking to each other.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 at 12:41 PM - Response #18

Please try this for me: Set your Mac Chrome browser cookie settings to never block cookies. Then try again. Once you're in change your cookie settings back to whatever they were. We're aware this happens sometime on Mac Chrome and will be investigating further this week. For the moment let me know if turning off your cookie blocking gets you in, thanks.

Monday, March 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM - Response #19

There wasn't that option to accept all cookies, but I set it to whatever looks like the most compatible. It doesn't seem to be working ... our site isn't linking to FB ... I am the only one on there. Should I try it from Safari?

Monday, March 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM - Response #20

Oh I see! You're in the wrong school. You're the only member.

Please do exactly this:

1) Log into Facebook, click Settings, Apps, and delete Class Connection.
2) Log into your class web site and click the "Class Connection" link under Member Functions.
3) Click the blue Join Class button, and accept the app permissions.

You are now connected to the right class.

Monday, March 17, 2014 at 2:21 PM - Response #21

AHA! It worked! Thanks!

Monday, March 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM - Response #22

Smile

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 at 1:58 AM - Response #23

Hi Brad and Admins. I have been frustrated by the Class Connection process. I think I started off matching our website to the wrong class on Facebook and. Now I can't access Class Connection at all, it attempts to log me in but throws me back to JOIN CLASS. If there is one concise explanation of how to set this up, instead of all the videos that were sent out, I will try again. Sorry. Sad

Thursday, July 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM - Response #24

This will be simple once we fix a couple of problems. Please do the following:

1) Go into your Facebook account and click Settings, then Apps, then next to the Class Connection app pres the X to remove it completely.

2) You also have some type of cookie problem. Go into Safari and remove all cookies. Also make sure you're not blocking third party cookies.

Give it another whirl now. This should be very simple. I've heard of this cookie issue several times with Safari browsers and I'm not sure what's causing it, but a cookie clear usually does the trick.

Friday, July 4, 2014 at 12:05 AM - Response #25

I did both steps for both my phone and computer. One of the biggest problems- I have listed myself twice on the Class Connection site, the same name, myself, from two different Facebook accounts (I maintain two accounts with different e-mails.) can you delete the two names for me, since they are both "me"? I would just like to start over- and I will go back through the steps again. Sorry about the trouble I'm having and thanks for your time. ~ Michael

Friday, July 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM - Response #26

Yes delete both and give it a whirl from the top. Report any further issues and we'll get ya there. Smile

Friday, July 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM - Response #27

Okay, how do I delete them? I have been trying late last night and today. I will log into both Facebook accounts and disconnect from Class Connection, as you first instructed, and see how that goes. Thanks!

Edited 07/04/14 11:47 AM
Friday, July 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM - Response #28

Brad, disconnecting from Class Connection via Facebook (Settings:Apps) does not remove the verified accounts from Class Connection.

How can I remove my two verified accounts from Class Connection?

Michael Hendrick

Saturday, July 5, 2014 at 7:29 PM - Response #29

I had already removed both of your Class Connection accounts. Although I see one of them is back now. I went ahead and removed it again. Let me know if you're still having any issues.

Saturday, July 5, 2014 at 8:14 PM - Response #30

Okay, thanks very much, Brad.

Sunday, July 6, 2014 at 1:53 AM - Response #31

Brad for some reason both of the accounts are still listed. Are you using "Troup County Comprehensive" instead of "Troup"? (The school listed as "Troup" alone- in LaGrange, Ga., is the correct high school name... The name was later changed to "Troup County Comprehensive").

Edited 07/06/14 1:55 AM
Sunday, July 6, 2014 at 4:37 PM - Response #32

I still have two names listed in my classmates. Both are my name (Michael Hendrick) and I can't access either of them. I can't recommend this to any members of my class if I can't figure it out myself, ha ha!

Sunday, July 6, 2014 at 4:45 PM - Response #33

"If you are having trouble verifying your account, contact , the Class Administrator, for assistance. can reset your password. When you come back to Class Connection to attempt validation again use the password validation method. Once you are logged in you can also change your email address."

Monday, July 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM - Response #34

If you have an extra name for yourself, you can go to Manage Classmates > Enter Edit Classmates and locate your name. Delete the extra one... it should be the one that has an incomplete profile.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM - Response #35

Let's take it from the top here.

There is only one Michael Hendrick on your class list, and there are current no Michael Hendrick's in Class Connection.

You should be able to simply click the Class Connection link under your Member Functions heading and join. There shouldn't be anything complex about this.

Give that a whirl and let me know if you encounter any difficulties.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 at 12:51 AM - Response #36

Brad,
I just read your post. Correct, there is only one name in the class list on my website. It is the list on Class Connection which has been the problem.

I am so sorry about all the trouble. I wish it were as simple as you describe it should be. I don't understand why it still does not work. I am usually savvy at these things. I am sure you are pulling your hair out in frustration, as am I!

According to what I can see, since you posted your most recent message this morning, before seeing your post I must have successfully signed back on to Class Connection. The *only* reason I know that, is because I can do a general search on Facebook for all members of Class Connection and I see my profile at the top of Facebook's general search (as is normal with Facebook).

However, from my class site, when I go to MEMBER FUNCTIONS & select CLASS CONNECTION, I receive the following message (it is in dark letters at the top):

"Error occured when processing your request. This error has been forwarded to site administrator and will be fixed shortly. Thanks."

Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM - Response #37

Ok. A programmer will need to hunt down and resolve this specific error. I will respond back here when resolved.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 3:12 PM - Response #38

I determined it is not a browser issue. I thought it might be Safari but it also happens with Chrome, same error message. Thank you.

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM - Response #39

Can you send me a screenshot of the error? I'm sure it says just what you stated. There may be something else on the screen that will help us track this down. Unfortunately this error is not appearing in our logs and has left us rather stumped.

While viewing the error click your physical print screen key on your keyboard. Then open up Microsoft Word or any graphics software and click paste. Then save the document and attach it here. I'm hoping the screen cap gives us something more to go on.

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM - Response #40

Hi Brad. I am just seeing your post from yesterday. Well, I hope you will "believe me" about the error message after I preface it by informing that is no longer there! Perhaps it was something one of your programmers did.

I have tried moving from Facebook "Home" to Class Connection, and also from my class website to Class Connection but I can't replicate the error message. There might not have been any help to see it, it was a blank screen and error message was at the very top, where it is very dark. Anyway, a problem that no longer exists is not really a problem (let us hope).

That being said, I now have THREE entries for my name, Michael Hendrick, in Class Connection. If I have a success in deleting the other names and linking up as the Admin (I will try Scott Mastenbrook's idea as well), I will post my success here. By the way, on my Class Connection page, when I select "What's New", nothing comes up. I am assuming that is okay.

Bottom line, thanks for everything and your time!

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM - Response #41

Checking on a couple things here.

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM - Response #42

Okay. I am the root Admin for my class site (have been from the beginning). With Class Connection I have no idea how to delete my other names (of myself). You are welcome to have access to my Facebook account to see what it looks like. Send me a private e-mail and I will send you a temporary pass into my Facebook account with the e-mail address used to access.

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 9:00 PM - Response #43

Argh... Sorry, I am trying and trying. If you can delete every single account that I established on Class Connection (all three are mine, the same name, Michael Hendrick), I can try from the beginning, after erasing all the cookies, etc.

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 9:30 PM - Response #44

I only see one Michael Hendrick on Class Connection. Where are you seeing more than one name? I know it showed 3 under Profile Updates, which I submitted to Programming as a bug. But there's only one actual Michael Hendrick member.

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 10:27 PM - Response #45

Ack! I finally see what's causing all of this. All this time there were two separate "Troup" schools in the database. When you joined you chose the wrong one. Of course you'd have no way of knowing that. This has been the problem all along..

The Programmer is removing the class of 84 under the wrong Troup. Your Facebook account is linked to this bogus class though. So in the morning you need to go in and remove your Class Connection Facebook app. After that just click the Class Connection link under your Member Functions heading and you'll be all set.

Now that the two master school names have been merged into one this can never happen to any of your classmates. Unfortunately it never occurred to me to look for dual master school entries in the database or all of this could have been avoided. But, tomorrow's a new day. Smile

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 10:40 PM - Response #46

Actually, before I merge these two schools together, please confirm these two database entries are the same school: http://screencast.com/t/r88LKJkDiE

I'm sure they must be. But once I merge all Troup classes under one master school entry it's not reversible. So I figured I better get absolute confirmation from you before I do this.

Edited 07/11/14 10:41 PM
Friday, July 11, 2014 at 10:47 PM - Response #47

Hi! I am just reading... The two schools is, I think very problematic and could be for others...

A bit of history. "Troup High" was the original high school. In the 80's, they built a brand new school in a new location and merged three schools into one, naming it "Troup Comprehensive High". That might be why two different ones are listed. But I just went to the website for the high school and it no longer shows "Comprehensive" in the name, perhaps they removed it and renamed it to the original name... In other words, maybe it is okay to combine both schools into one entry now?

I will research this and let you know about the school's current name. It might make things MUCH easier not only for my class, but future Class Creator classes that join.

Edited 07/11/14 10:55 PM
Friday, July 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM - Response #48

I just looked at your link... I can confirm that these two are absolutely the SAME school. I just did a bit of research... The school's actual website is here: http://ths.troup.k12.ga.us/. As you can see, they do not use the word "Comprehensive" on the home page. But if you see this Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troup_County_High_School you can see that they use both names.

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM - Response #49

Right -- after they created the site, they could have deleted the "Comprehensive". But nonetheless that's still the master school name it's under in our database.

There wouldn't be any cases of the same class year correctly being under BOTH high schools correct? If that were the case we shouldn't do the merge. If that can never be the case then I'd put all class years under one master "Troup High School" entry in the database -- i.e. I should complete the merge. I'll wait for your confirmation.

Regardless, at this time you should try this:

1) Remove the Class Connection app from your Facebook
2) Log into your regular class web site and click the Class Connection link under your Member Functions heading

When you do this you'll finally be connected to the right school, and you should see everything looks fine. After this I just need to know if you want me to complete the merge, or not. Whether I do or not (and especially if you decide not to do the merge) the most foolproof way to join the Class Connection app is from the Class Connection link under your Member Functions heading. Especially if we don't elect to merge, if people don't join this way and opt to manually select the school from a list, at least some percentage of classmates is going to do exactly what you did (inadvertently select the wrong school). Unless there's some good reason not to merge I think we definitely should. But again, your call here.

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 10:58 PM - Response #50

Ok, great!

I went ahead and completed the merge. Now there is only one master "Troop High School" entry (let me know if you want me to rename this) and there are two classes under it, 1981 and 1984.

This will be a whole lot easier for anyone joining now. Go ahead and join yourself and you'll have a whole different experience this time. My oh my what confusion a redundant school name can cause. Smile

Michael Hendrick wrote:

I just looked at your link... I can confirm that these two are absolutely the SAME school. I just did a bit of research... The school's actual website is here: http://ths.troup.k12.ga.us/. As you can see, they do not use the word "Comprehensive" on the home page. But if you see this Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troup_County_High_School you can see that they use both names.

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:03 PM - Response #51

I know for a fact, that there were not two graduating classes in the same year, one from each school. They switched between years and everyone (all classes) resumed at the brand new school. (The former building served as a junior high/middle school and is now an elementary school.)

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:05 PM - Response #52

It is spelled TROUP, not "Troop". Very Happy

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:05 PM - Response #53

Thanks. Should be all set here. Even if people are joining using the regular app link (thus just select school name from dropdown) there's no way to select the wrong school anymore. Another day, another mystery solved. Smile

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:08 PM - Response #54

Well, fortunately I spelled it correctly when I merged the two schools. Smile

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM - Response #55

You see? I'm not crazy! LOL. Thanks so much for all of this. I know you have many, many graduating classes to deal with.

I was going to suggest that if you had no choice but to leave both schools listed, I can find out exactly what the very first and final graduating year was, for the "old" school building, and perhaps there would be a way for you to limit the years that were shown for each school, just to those years, and do the same for the "new" school, from its first year, forward to the present. This would prevent future classmates from choosing their graduating year for the wrong school.

Edited 07/11/14 11:13 PM
Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM - Response #56

COMPLETELY NEW EXPERIENCE! THANK YOU!!!

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM - Response #57

Smile

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM - Response #58

And all that time, when I saw my name listed three times, I saw NO ONE else's in the class, I was only seeing mine! Ha ha. Now I can see everything and I am thrilled.

And just to mention, I checked with folks on Facebook, posting on my Wall to ask the final graduating year of the "old" high school, it was confirmed to be 1987, by a Facebook friend who was a senior in the final graduating class.

Thanks a final time. You are the best.

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM - Response #59

Yup! When you joined the wrong master school you created a brand new class of 1984 under the wrong master school. Which explains why you weren't the admin, didn't see your regular site links, etc. It really is supposed to be just as easy as what you just went through now. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.