ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

change root administrator

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/12/11 03:42 PM Views: 5030 Replies: 24
Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I created our website but someone else is listed as the root administrator. They have lost interest and they now wish to make me the root administrator.

How can we do that?

Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 4:56 PM - Response #1

Hi Brien,

Have them go into the Admin Functions > Preferences link and select your name from the list of administrators to set you as the root administrator. Once they save the page you will be the root administrator the next time you login and you will be able to confirm you are the root by checking to see if you have the Preferences link available to you under Admin Functions.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Friday, May 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM - Response #2

Thank you!

Works just like you said!

Brien Murphy

Monday, June 27, 2011 at 11:21 AM - Response #3

I am currently the root administrator and need to give it to someone else but only one other name shows up when I go into preferences. What am I doing wrong? Can you help me out

Monday, June 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM - Response #4

Charlotte,

Go to Manage Classmates, Enter/Edit Classmates, then click on the DETAILS of the classmate you want to make the Root Admin.

On the DETAILS page, click the GRANT ADMIN ACCESS check-box. Select ALL of the checkboxes and then SAVE CHANGES.

Now when you go to PREFERENCES, the new admin will appear in the list. Just choose that classmate's name and then SAVE CHANGES.

Monday, June 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM - Response #5

Charlotte -

Before someone can be made the Root Admin, they must have Admin powers. So it sounds like you have only one other person so far who is an Admin.

If you've found someone to take over, bring up their Details under "Manage The Class" and grant them Admin Powers. (Doesn't matter which or how many; they will then show up on the list.)

Then go back to the Preferences link and select that person to be the new Root Admin.

Edited 06/27/11 11:36 AM
Monday, June 27, 2011 at 11:37 AM - Response #6

Separated at birth, Kyle...WinkWink

Monday, June 27, 2011 at 11:42 AM - Response #7

It looks like I was only about one second quicker than you.

Monday, June 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM - Response #8

OK, I did as you both said. Now when I look at the edit classmate screen it shows admin on the far right of his name but when I go back into preferences his name does not show up.

Monday, June 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM - Response #9

They have to be a USERNAME AND PASSWORD. Since he has never signed in before, he cannot be the Root Admin until after he does.

Monday, June 27, 2011 at 2:10 PM - Response #10

Question, Kyle.. When I when to view who might be 'eligible' to be the Root Admin at my site, it showed me everyone who had some sort of Admin access -- as little as just access to the User Forums.

You've indicated that the person who will be made Root Admin must have "all access" -- does it matter whether that "all access" is before selection as Root -- or does making them the Root Admin automatically give them "all access"?

Monday, June 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM - Response #11

I believe you first have to be an administrator, to be a eligible to be a root administrator.

Brien Murphy

Monday, June 27, 2011 at 3:37 PM - Response #12

You only have to be an admin, you don't need all the the "Access Everything". you will get the Access Everything when you become the Root Admin.

Monday, October 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM - Response #13

I made my husband the root administrator when I created site for his class reunion. I used my email address. I added my name as guest member today, with the same email address. Should I change his email since I'm not able to login to make me the root administrator?

Monday, October 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM - Response #14

You shouldn't have any problems as long as he logs out each time or you have different computers.

Monday, October 24, 2011 at 1:44 PM - Response #15

Ok, I got that changed. thanks, kk
Now is their a cost for a email from our website??
Do you have a procedure how to do that? Make it simple please. Very Happy

Monday, October 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM - Response #16

Cost for email? Do you mean the Email the Class functionality? If so, there is not a cost involved. The Email the Class system is included with the system. As an administrator, you have a link on the left nav under your Admin Functions that says Email the Class. You can compose an email within that section and choose who / or all of your classmates to send the email to.

Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 7:11 PM - Response #17

I have just (6/19/22) been added as a co-admin. Now we’ve changed that to make me the webmaster and remove the individual who we had as “site admin”. I don’t know if I need to be made “root admin” or not but I think so. When I go to contact us, I see the other guys name and I presume a link to his email. I want my name and email linked to contact us.

When I go to preferences, I can’t find any list of administrators but on my details under Manage Classmates, I’m listed as a co-admin with full authority to make changes. Any help will be much appreciated.
Jerry Lummus; lummus.jerry@gmai.com

Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 8:29 PM - Response #18
Root admin.jpg

A couple of things:

1. You may see all the admins under Admin Functions > Edit Site Pages > Classmate Profiles page > Manage Classmates. Look under the Delete column on the far right and you'll see anyone who is an admin. It does not tell you who the root admin is.

2. If you are the root administrator, you will see your name as the first item under Preferences (see the attached file). If you are not the root administrator, you will not see this item. In this item, all the administrators are displayed in a dropdown menu. Only the root administrator may change someone else to the root administrator, by selecting who he/she wants from the dropdown menu.

It sounds like you'll have to contact all the admins and find out who is the root administrator.

Edited 06/19/22 8:32 PM
Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 10:46 PM - Response #19
Root admin.jpg

Scott Moore wrote:

A couple of things:

1. You may see all the admins under Admin Functions > Edit Site Pages > Classmate Profiles page > Manage Classmates. Look under the Delete column on the far right and you'll see anyone who is an admin. It does not tell you who the root admin is.

My experience has been that if you are a co-admin and access Manage Classmates you WILL see who the root admin is. That will be denoted in both columns under Edit. If you are the root admin you will not be denoted as such because you still need the ability to edit both your contact information and profile details. In other words if you are the root admin you'll be denoted as an admin in the far right Delete column just as co-admins are so denoted.

Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 10:48 PM - Response #20

Many thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate it...

Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 11:03 PM - Response #21

F C, thanks for reminding me that co-admins can see who the Root Administrator is in both Edit columns on the Classmate Profiles page. I had forgotten that, but now remember from when I was a co-admin. Now that I'm the Root Administrator, all the admins appear in the Delete column but the Root Admin is not specified in the Delete column, nor does it need to be, since I'm the Root Administrator.

Edited 06/20/22 6:41 AM
Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 2:18 PM - Response #22

I am an admin on our web site and need to change the root admin. Can I do that or does the person who is currently identified as the root need to do that?

Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 4:08 PM - Response #23

Hi Linda,

The current root administrator can either go to their Admin Functions > Preferences and select a co-admin to make the root admin at the top of their preferences page.

If they don't have login access they can email us at info@classcreator.com using the email address they have on file for the site and let us know they would like us to reassign it.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Thursday, October 27, 2022 at 3:00 PM - Response #24

Many thanks!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.