ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Admin-entered mailing addresses

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/10/12 02:53 PM Views: 1274 Replies: 7
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM

(1) Is there a way to distinguish admin-entered or uploaded mailing addresses & phone numbers from what the classmate enters? If they can't see what we entered, what assures us that once they log in, the address remaining there is correct? Since I can't tell, I'm trying to go back and remove that info on people who haven't signed up yet.

(2) Unless you've got some other logic, I think you should advise not uploading mailing addresses and phone numbers. We find it misleading on our downloads and edit lookups.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM - Response #1

If the classmate doesn't enter address information, then either way you don't know any more than you did before, so the practical choices are either A: require address information be added upon joining, and assume that some proportion of classmates will not join because of the requirement, or B: don't require it, and hope that they will enter something that is correct. Either way, you have to trust that the information provided you is accurate, but you have no way to be sure.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM - Response #2

My understanding is, though, that if we already entered/uploaded something before they joined, they can't see that. If my understanding of how CC works is correct, I don't know if they also entered the same thing & it's thus confirmed, or if they just left it blank, or if they entered a partial and now I have a hybrid of addresses. How can I tell?

We had 4 people join yesterday. Two addresses were totally new & different, one I had just blanked out so I knew it was new, and one was identical to what had been uploaded. So 1/4 of my current data is iffy. I don't know if they provided or if I did and they didn't see it to change it.

Or did I misunderstand how uploaded info is handled & displayed? Who sees what?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM - Response #3

If a classmate enters nothing, then the download uses the admin-uploaded data. If the classmates enters anything, the assumption is that what they've entered is valid information and that data replaces the admin-entered data in the download.

You have the option to display (or not) admin-entered information to newly joining classmates (the setting is at the top of the class list (Enter/Edit Classmates) in Manage Classmates.

Friday, October 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM - Response #4

(1) It says, "Show Admin-entered Classmate Profile details prior to Classmate joining the site." I don't want it displayed publicly but it would be fine if they were visible to the classmate as they were signing up. If they haven't joined yet, does this setting make their profile page show to everbyody, or even to others who already joined, with whatever contact info we entered?

(2) That's what I thought that option meant. And this says "Profile details" so does that include the "Details" page information?

(3) "If the classmates enters anything, the assumption is that what they've entered is valid information and that data replaces the admin-entered data in the download." Does that mean that any single entry they make, together with any "blank" (to them) fields they didn't change, totally replaces all the uploaded information, blanking out what they didn't touch? Or is it just field by field?

Sorry to be so dense.

Edited 10/12/12 4:58 PM
Monday, October 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM - Response #5

It is essential to distinguish between the Contact Information (Details) and the other profile content. By default, contact info is NOT shown to anyone, and the Admin-entered details option you refer to in (1) [correction] does not allow that information to be shown to someone who is joining the site, but does display the profile content.

Edited 10/15/12 2:46 PM
Monday, October 15, 2012 at 3:21 PM - Response #6

address (6 fields), telephone, cell phone, birthday

Note that if the classmate enters anything in *any* of the 6 fields of their address (such as only a city and state), all 6 fields will be brought down on the export (even if some are empty), replacing the admin-entered data in the download. If a classmate ever zaps the data they entered from all 6 fields, then the admin-entered address would then be brought down on the export. There's never a combination of the two.

The same rules apply *separately* to the set of birthday fields, *separately* to the telephone field, and *separately* to the cell phone field.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM - Response #7

Perfect. Thanks. I see what you did for the Edit Classmates - Details where you're now showing both what we upload/edit and what they enter.

Which gets downloaded? If not both (I only see one set), can you think of a way to do some kind of indicator?

Edited 10/18/12 4:25 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.