ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Change Email address of Administrator?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/13/10 01:10 PM Views: 1509 Replies: 8
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I started my site a couple weeks ago, and used one of my personal emails. The good news, I am getting lots of responses from my class, while the bad news is that they get mixed in to a lot of other stuff.

What is involved in changing the Administrator's email address? Is there a 'logon' issue doing this? Will it automatically change throughout for automated responses?

Finally, if I have 'placed' my emails in various places like Announcements, how do I best change; i.e. - is there a Search and Replace?

Anything else I have not thought about in changing my email address?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 1:25 PM - Response #1

First, I strongly recommend you remove your private email address from your public home page. These nasty little crawlers that crawl around the web are going to pick that up and then send you spam email. It's best policy to never display your email address on a publicly accessible web page. Instead, put your email address in a separate Announcement and set that Announcement to be visible to only logged-in members. That will keep the crawlers from gobbling up your email address and spamming you.

To change your email address just click on your own Contact Details link and change it. That's all there is to it. There is no login issue or anything along those lines, and all site email will immediately begin flowing to your new address.

Edited 04/13/10 1:28 PM
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 2:44 PM - Response #2

Brad Switzer wrote:

First, I strongly recommend you remove your private email address from your public home page. These nasty little crawlers that crawl around the web are going to pick that up and then send you spam email. It's best policy to never display your email address on a publicly accessible web page. Instead, put your email address in a separate Announcement and set that Announcement to be visible to only logged-in members. That will keep the crawlers from gobbling up your email address and spamming you.

To change your email address just click on your own Contact Details link and change it. That's all there is to it. There is no login issue or anything along those lines, and all site email will immediately begin flowing to your new address.

Thanks again Mark. I don't think I have my email public anywhere, but darned good point!!!! I will check that out. Someone else back home does a different style Anadarko website, so he has notifications setup with anything containing Anadarko. He has found me on several things with google, including this web forum. Don't know why that is?? Sometimes, Google just knows way too much Smile

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 3:14 PM - Response #3

Hi Brad, I did find in one of my Announcements that is used as a Welcome message to all where I had typed my private email address. Of course that was available to the world at the site. I changed that, indicating for them to use the 'Contact Us' menu. Pretty well everything I can, I have password protected except for registered classmates.

I don't think I have made my email available anywhere else, but is there a feature anywhere available to "search" my pages for me specific email? I believe I saw somewhere in the forum that you can search and change certain words, like Classmates, when using product for other than Classes.

Wow, can't believe I did that, as I am a major stickler about security and privacy.

Edited 04/13/10 3:31 PM
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 3:23 PM - Response #4

Derrell Pulis wrote:

Hi Mark

Who is Mark?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM - Response #5

Aargh, Senior Moment. I meant Brad.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 4:05 PM - Response #6

There is some built-in global variables, such as the Classmates variable you referenced, but no, there is no site wide text search and replace feature. Although I can see the value in that, I'd be on the fence on this leaning toward the "no" side. While helpful if used correctly, I'm absolutely certain people will make major mistakes with such a feature in some cases. Everything you do on your site updates a live database. I can just imagine someone searching and replacing a hundred instances of a word, doing something wrong, and then wanting to revert it. Due to the nature of the web and the database once a search and replace operation had completed it would be extremely difficult to write programming that could revert it correctly 100% of the time.

Mark

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM - Response #7

Yes agree, since I do software support myself, people will mess up stuff. I think I found the only 1 place I had inadvertently made public anyway

Perhaps a tool to simply 'search', but does not allow change at all. That would give them a list of places of occurrence, and they would have to go to the specific place to Find and Decide....

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 at 10:07 PM - Response #8

That will work. I'll add it to the Advanced Features task list.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.