ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

html code for surveys and polls

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/15/09 07:21 AM Views: 1934 Replies: 5
Sunday, November 15, 2009 at 7:21 AM

How can I access the html code for the questions on polls and surveys? I can display the code for the introductory paragraph but not the questions. What I need is to be able to reduce the number of allowable characters for a comment box. I want to use this to create a book for the reunion but cannot deal with 8000 characters.

Sunday, November 15, 2009 at 7:49 AM - Response #1

Unfortunately you can't. Surveys are created using html forms and that functionality including the character limit is a default part of the system.

As a workaround, at the top of your Survey page I would tell your Classmates what your chacter limit is and that you are creating a book. Every character box has a real-tine character counter so Classmates can always see how many characters they have entered at any moment.

Monday, November 16, 2009 at 8:15 AM - Response #2

Before I go forward with this idea, is there a way I can dump all the survey answers into Word or Access?

I'm doing the bio book and this is not the first one I've done. In the past all the information was put into Access and dumped as a report. Will I be able to get my survey information out of Class Creator once they've typed it in?

Monday, November 16, 2009 at 8:56 PM - Response #3

No. At least not at the moment anyway. There is currently no survey answer to Excel file export utility. It's a good idea though, adding to Task List.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 11:41 AM - Response #4

Thank you for the consideration of this task. Since my reunion is not until 2011 you have plenty of time to do this. Might I make a suggestion? Is there any way to change the text limit in the comment box. Or even create another comment box with a much lower text limit. I know an option is to have people pay attention to the character count and not exceed a certain amount, but I don't want to have to do that.

If somehow you can create an area in Class Creator that deals only with a memory book that would be great. I've kept my database all these years and have done several books. Having Class Creator to keep the database and the ability for classmates to log in and change their own address when they move is a godsend. And as for the books, I have always been the one to type in all the biographical data. To have Class Creator handle that part for me would be such a help. Then to be able to dump to my format is all I'd have to do.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 12:43 PM - Response #5

A Memory Book feature is in the plans (not currently near the top of the Task List but it's coming). I've discussed this with the CEO of Mixbook.com and we plan to utilize their API to create this feature. More on this as that Task moves up the list.

We can't decrease the character count, sorry. Reason being that numerous people have actually used the entire character limit, even though it probably sounds high. If we reduce the limit and people who have used the entire limit then try to make an edit, the system won't let them save their Profile anymore. In fact actually the character count used to be far lower. We had to raise it significantly because many people wanted to write a lot more. I know that leaves you a little stuck for now and I apologize, but I do think asking Classmates to keep their comments below a certain character count is a reasonable workaround for now, albeit not perfect. We will have the features you're looking for in place as soon as possible, not sure the the ETA yet, but it will definitely be into next year before that surfaces.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.