ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Linking to an Announcement

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/26/20 05:29 PM Views: 563 Replies: 5
Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 5:29 PM

I'd like some step by step advice on linking to a specific announcement on the Announcements board at the foot of my Home Page. I can't seem to get it right.

I have a page called Updates where I list recent website updates/changes so that Classmates can click on any of them and be taken to the exact point the on a particular page where the update/change occurs.

How do I go about linking from my Updates page to a specific Home Page Announcement? Technically the Announcements are a separate entity to the Home Page itself so I'm not sure what URL I should be entering.

Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 5:55 PM - Response #1

"Preview Only" the announcement in question and use that URL.

Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 6:00 PM - Response #2

Many thanks, FC. I'll give that a try.

Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 6:42 PM - Response #3

I did as you suggested F C. It worked but I was a little surprised at the outcome.

When clicking on the link on my Updates page I'm taken to the announcement in question but all the other announcements on the Announcements Board aren't showing along with it.

It's not really a problem as Classmates are only being directed to that particular announcement and that's what they'll see, but is that the way it's supposed to be?

This is the URL I copied from the 'Preview Only' page -

https://www.classcreator.com/London-United-Kingdom-Sloane-Grammar-1963/class_index.cfm?homepage=y&announcement_id=259932&only=y#A259932

To get it to work I had to remove the A259932 at the end and replace it with the name I gave the anchor which was recentbouncedemails

Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 8:07 PM - Response #4

Yes, that's working as I expected. Once you replaced A259932 with recentbouncedemails did everything show up as you expected?

Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 8:38 PM - Response #5

Not quite F C. I was expecting the announcement to be showing along with the other announcements on the Announcements board not as a standalone announcement. I'd made reference to one of the other announcements in the announcement I was linking to so had to amend the reference otherwise anyone linking to it from my Updates page might have been confused when the announcement I was referencing wasn't actually showing.

As I said, it's not a great problem as members will be taken to the announcement the link from page refers them to. That's the important thing and now I've amended the reference to the other announcement there shouldn't be any confusion.

Thanks again.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.