ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Profile updates, Dated

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/21/12 09:03 PM Views: 2229 Replies: 24
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I had a classmate stop by our site today who hadn't visited in quite sometime. She mentioned to me that it sure would be nice if, when classmates update their profile, the date would be listed, so she would know how old the information is. It would come in especially handy when someone makes a comment, like "retiring next month" etc. It seems like a good idea! I know I could ask classmates to fill in the information in a custom area, but I thought I'd check in to see if Class Creator would consider adding the option first.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM - Response #1

When you click on a classmate that has been updated, it says "show entire profile" or "show updated info only". It also has a link to go to the next updated profile you haven't seen yet.

If you have already viewed the profile, that doesn't show up.

I don't think a date is necessary on the profile updates section because you can filter the Classmate Profile page by "last Updated date"

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM - Response #2

Oh my, I'm sorry, I don't follow. If, as in my example, she is signing on the site long after the profile is updated, how is she going to know if or when her friend retired, if he posts "next month"?

Profile updates are listed by date on the homepage, but if you're looking at a profile that was updated more than seven months ago, there is no way, as far as I can see, to know when the profile was updated. It seems a bit cumbersome to expect people to check the list on the homepage for dates anyway...or, am I missing something? For some reason, I thought I remembered that profiles listed the "joined" date too, but I don't see that, so the older my site gets, the more difficult it will be to guess when this friend might have retired, unless he actually posts a specific month and year.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM - Response #3

Sorry, I will try to explain better.

if it has been quite a while, she would click on the first classmate name in PROFILE UPDATES module. It would have a button at the top to "Show NEW INFORMATION". If she clicks that button, only the new-since-last-visit items will show up. In the same section, there is a link that says "Take me to next Profile Update classmate". She clicks that link and goes to the next classmate with new information. She continues until she sees the classmate with "Retiring next month" in the comments.

Yes, the "Retiring next month" comment might be old when it is read, but that would be the classmate's responsibility to put in the date. It might be old if it is read one week after it is posted because the month might have changed or it might be at the first of the month when the classmate is retired.

The Classmate Profiles page has a SHOW BY: line with "A-Z", "Last Updated", "Newest Members". Clicking the "Last Updated" link would show when the page was last updated, but the classmate might have updated it since he wrote the "Retiring next month" comment.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM - Response #4

What am I missing? When I look at any profile on my site the field at the very top is "Last Updated" and contains a date.

Edited 08/22/12 11:46 AM
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM - Response #5

Ah! I may see what happened. Back in the "old days", before Class Creator added "View Updates" I made my own version where I asked classmates to list their updates along with the date they added them. I disabled my version when the new feature arrived. I may have also disabled the Profile Update date option, thinking it was the one I added that asked Classmates to note the date. As soon as I enabled it...DATES everywhere!

Or, did ClassCreator add it for me today...if so, Many Thanks!!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM - Response #6

It wasn't added today

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 9:59 AM - Response #7

Kyle,

I just click on your site and really like the Missing Classmates with the note "taped" to the wall and the slider on the side. How do you do that?

Thanks,
Doreene

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 10:17 AM - Response #8
MissingPostIt.txt

create a new announcement,
paste the attached code in the SOURCE page of the announcement
Save the announcement
Activate the announcement
View the home page to see if it worked.

Edited 01/30/13 10:18 AM
Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM - Response #9

Rephrasing Doreene's question:

Kyle, About the Post-It on your home page:

Is it a third party widget? If so, where did you find it?

Saw your source but my classmates would not recognize the names. Wink

Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 2:49 AM - Response #10

It's not a widget - just regular html using a CC 'magic' name that generates code automatically. Like the visitor count and the clock days left. This one is called $missing_names$ and ... generates the missing names for YOUR class.

The easiest way to do these things is to make a test page that you do -not- make active. Then just dump code in there and see what happensExclamation

Just copy all that text and you'll instantly see what I mean.Idea

Edited 02/17/13 2:50 AM
Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 3:31 AM - Response #11

So what you are saying is...
- Find a post-it you want to use.
- Input: $missing_names$

And voila! There is the list of names.

I tried it on a blank page and yes, it worked. Of course, having used the first name and other options, I knew it would.

Thanks, Jack.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM - Response #12

Gwen,

I didn't say to look at my SOURCE CODE, I said to look at the ATTACHMENT. Attachment: MissingPostIt.txt The Attachment is on the forum post "01/30/13 10:17 AM"

In the attachment "MissingPostIt.txt", it also has the name of the image that I am using.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM - Response #13

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Gwen,

I didn't say to look at my SOURCE CODE, I said to look at the ATTACHMENT. Attachment: MissingPostIt.txt The Attachment is on the forum post "01/30/13 10:17 AM"

In the attachment "MissingPostIt.txt", it also has the name of the image that I am using.

With no intention of beginning another less-than-pleasant exchange here... I did open the attachment. The attachment is coding. Of course, it is not the "source coding" of a/your page. My apologies for using the incorrect word. It should have been 'attachment' not 'source'.

I understand writing less is more to some, but I did not copy/paste the attachment (coding) into a new announcement as suggested for two reasons: 1) I did not read that the attachment was actually the note with the coding included to make it happen without further steps. 2) I do not copy/paste coding into my site when I believe the info is for someone else in the thread. I did not read it would work for all of us.

Thanks for noting that the attachment IS the sticky note with the code $missing_names$ in it - in your post this morning. It is appreciated. I have tried it and it is great!

Thanks, Kyle! Smile

Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM - Response #14

Gwen,

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. Yes, the attached text will work on ANY of the websites because it is using the $missing_names$ magic word. Sorry if my post was not a very pleasant exchange of words.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM - Response #15

Hey Kyle,

We'd have a very private message exchange if I were upset. Not to worry. I understand. I read many posts where it is obvious the one replying did not read the post they are replying to. I know I've written a few posts here that were not clear by replies from you. I can only speak for myself, but when I sit down to post, I post as if we are having a conversation. That does not work well with so many other posts 'swirling' around one's memory bank.

I do thank you for the kind words but not to worry... there are no problems here. Smile

EDIT Add: By the way, I added the sticky note for Missing Classmates to my single year class site. Thanks for sharing! This came up just as I was wondering how to rally my classmates to locate the rest of our class. Smile

Edited 02/17/13 3:38 PM
Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 3:39 PM - Response #16

I do have a question about the missing classmate magic... my list appears last name first. How can I change that to first then last name?

Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM - Response #17

Gwen,

The magic only performs one way, last name first. Sorry

Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM - Response #18

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Gwen,

The magic only performs one way, last name first. Sorry

That's magic? Cool

Laughing

Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM - Response #19

Thanks Kyle,
Borrowed your missing classmates code and it works great! Just need to find time to revise the lengthy announcements page!

Donna

Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM - Response #20

UPDATE: You can now show your missing classmates FIRST NAME, LAST NAME. Just change the $missing_names$ to $missing_names_firstname$

Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM - Response #21

Thanks Kyle. Will do. Donna

Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM - Response #22

Kyle,
It worked (hooray) but since the list is small, would it be possible to list names on separate lines instead of wrapping?

Thanks,
Donna

Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 12:39 PM - Response #23

Donna,

I don't understand your question. The names are all on separate lines.

Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM - Response #24

Kyle,

You're right. Didn't look closely enough. Thank you!

Donna

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.