ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Security and visual settings

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/07/11 01:57 PM Views: 1537 Replies: 19
Saturday, May 7, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Hi,
It has been brought to my attention as the admin for my H.S. site, that a few people have complained that their info ended up on the internet.

Is the only way to prevent this , is to

1)LOG OFF each time?

OR

2) to make a check in the Profile Visibility: in the settings for each user?

OR is there anything else we can do? Thanks!

Saturday, May 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM - Response #1

1. Logging off does nothing. The information is available to the public because the Manage Classmates, PROFILE, Profile Visibility isn't set to "logged in classmates only".

2. Yes, this setting needs to be set in order to not be visible on the Google searches.

3. There is another way to turn have SUPER-DUPER PRIVACY. We can flip a switch here that will set all profiles to "logged in classmates only"

Saturday, May 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM - Response #2

Hi and thank you Kyle,

I know one time I had not logged out, I did a search for my name, and there was my high school home page right there, anyone and everyone could see this page,and all the content I placed there, but obviously could not go to Chat, Message boards, or other folders on the left,but only the missing classmates and the 1973 History/Videos,so I guess my box was not checked then, as you said.

The SUPER DUPER PRIVACY will not allow this to happen?

I went back to Manage Classmates, PROFILE, Profile Visibility, but I could not see any "logged in classmates only".

Are you talking about checking the second box below?

"Allow logged-in Classmates to see my address and phone number (this information is hidden from your Classmates unless you check this box). This information is never available to the general public or search engines if this box is checked".

And if so, I'll have to inform all students to go to their "EDIT PROFILE", bottom of the page and check this second box. I thought Brad told me one time I have to log off each time.

So for the for the admins, is there a general box to check for all the students at once, or is it on a individual basis for each profile?

Do most H.S. sites use this SUPER DUPER PRIVACY option? Thanks again!

Edited 05/07/11 4:36 PM
Saturday, May 7, 2011 at 5:27 PM - Response #3

It is that First Box in each Classmates Profile as below.

Profile Visibility:
Allow only fellow Warriors to view my Profile details. This will block the public and search engines from accessing your Profile. Leave this box unchecked if you wish to allow the public (friends, co-workers, family members, etc.) to view your Profile details.

I go review this box for each and every classmate newly Joining. If they did not check it; I check it for them and inform them why.

Yes, Unchecked just as it says the info is available and will show on the internet. Following the procedure that I do. Not a Soul has been captured by the Google Spiders.

Another caution, rare but it can happen. All the screens that can be seen by Not Logged In, never have a name or information there. It would be available. For Instance, come to the Reunion, here are your Committee members and their email addresses or phones. Don't do that for sure.

I Password Protect every single page link of my website, except the ones that Must be accessible....Home Page, Class List. Essentially, if anyone wants to see my website, Join if they are eligible as a Classmate. Otherwise, not much to see on my website for the Not Logged In.

Saturday, May 7, 2011 at 6:40 PM - Response #4

The reason you could see your content was because you were still logged in. If someone else who wasn't logged in clicked on the same link, they would get a "you must login to see this page" message.

Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 2:07 PM - Response #5

Derrell and Kyle,
Thanks.

In the preferences tab, I see the option for "NEW CLASSMATE VERIFICATION."
1) Is this something I want to activate?

2) When someone goes to my home page, they have my name and email, because I am the admin,and I did post it there, but is this a bad thing, or should I remove all reference to names/e-mails/video and photo high school links?

3) Is it recommended to password protect "Classmate profiles"? When I'm not logged in, I can get to the home page, and click on all the classmates, but then I see a password log in page, but wondering if it's a bad thing to put names on this page anyway. Thank you!

Edited 05/08/11 2:13 PM
Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM - Response #6

Hi James,

I will let CC Staff be the authority on this one, as they know far more than I to recommend for Security. However, I would not put my name and email address on the Home Page as ANYONE could then see that. That is what Contact Us is all about; let classmates contact you, but not show your email.

You have to leave Home Page and Profiles NOT Password Protected, so that you can accept new Classmates to register. That is what Kyle was explaining that you want each registered classmate to check the Box for PROFILE VISIBILITY, protecting their Profile. The System is probably the most secure website system I have ever seen, but certain rules need to be followed to maintain that security.

Concerning NEW CLASSMATE VERIFICATION, that is your choice. If you are a large school, and not positive that the REAL Classmate is registering themselves, some will check that box to followup with questions sent to the classmate only a Real Classmate could answer. I think that function is described well. I don't use it, as we are a very small school, and pretty well everyone knows everyone. Never had a problem yet.

Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 4:32 PM - Response #7

Hi James,

I think you may have gone to far by password protecting your home page. No one will know what is going on. Maybe it was in response to the email issue?

To list your email address on the home page - there's a very easy way to do that and not get spam.

You list the email as" donotspam.youremail@something.com and put instructions to remove the "donotspam." (or anything that confuses a machine spider)

And/Or put the Contact Us link also on the home page to draw attention. I prefer this one - totally personal preference.

The main restrictions should be on pages that contain personal information about any classmates. Beyond that is up to you. We have some that are protected that I'd prefer to not be protected. My position is that the more interesting things you can display, the more likely it will generate interest. Like anything else, there's the opposite view tooExclamation

Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 5:39 PM - Response #8

That's better James; Jack is absolutely correct, password protecting your Home Page was not a good thing, nor your Profiles.

However, look in your Profiles while NOT Logging on yourself. Just go to your website, but do not log on. Click Profiles. The protected classmates will have a "Little Lock" aside the name. All deceased are automatically locked, but I would suggest you check the classmates with the Grenn Check Mark meaning they are registered for your website. I was going lit list First Nmae, Last Initial for you, but gave up in first column. There are probably a dozen or so classmates Not Locked. That is what makes them Unsecure on the internet. They need that Privacy Checkbox checked.

Frankly, if I were you, I would go check the box FOR THEM, then email them and tell them why. They will definielty get nailed by the spider bots with no Lock on their Profile.

This is a good check for you. Got to website and don't sign on. Everyone with a Green Check, needs to have the Lock, OR GET IT.... Smile

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 5:24 PM - Response #9

Kyle Erickson wrote:

3. There is another way to turn have SUPER-DUPER PRIVACY. We can flip a switch here that will set all profiles to "logged in classmates only"

I have checked our classmates and, surprisingly, a lot of them have this box unchecked. I think, since we are all older and maybe not so computer saavy, that they didn't fully understand what they did. The default has the box checked so they had to uncheck it when they signed up.

If we have you apply the SUPER-DUPER PRIVACY and there are some classmates who want to be exposed to the internet, can they, or I, go back and uncheck the box?

Jim

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM - Response #10

If the super-duper privacy auto-lock-down of all profiles is applied they will not have the option to uncheck it - it will be on by default for all.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM - Response #11

yes... I just had the same request come for our site.
Would set the switch at your end to allow for only logged in Classmates to see profile details.
Bryan Reid
Lvrogers63-65

Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM - Response #12

Bryan,

I turned on the "profile privacy override" option for your site. I think that is what you wanted

Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 10:23 AM - Response #13

Thanks…
I had one person concerned about the details of his profile being available Publicly…
When I check his profile I saw that it was protected… so am not sure what his concerns were.
He told me he googled one of the deceased members of our Class and apparently got the details…
I thought for sure all Classmates had that set.
Larry Pickering is the decease fellow and he really has no detail on his profile in any event.
Bryan
Getting Close to our reunion… just have to do the Name Tags, produce a Deceased List and a List of Members Attending to post up at the Reunion.
The Site has rave reviews… you guys have a great site for Class Reunions. I am sure I have taken advantage of only a few function but am very happy.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM - Response #14

I requested the SUPER DUPER privacy from CC over a year ago. I can't thank CC enough for this option.

Bryan, Be sure your IN MEMORY page is password protected.

Edited 06/16/13 7:36 PM
Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM - Response #15

Bryan Reid, A quick look shows there are at least THREE (3) of your classmates with open profiles. Just an observation.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM - Response #16

And Jessica... love this "super-duper privacy auto-lock-down"! Smile

Also, if it fits and you were missed last month... belated Happy Mom's Day! (Even if your 'children' are pets.) Smile

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 at 8:42 AM - Response #17

Gwen,

Which three classmates that HAVE A PROFILE have an unlocked profile? When you click their name, you see profile information or the JOIN HERE page?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM - Response #18

My apologies for not replying sooner, Kyle. This update was at the bottom of my "What's New". It has taken me all day to get through the list as I have been dealing with a bit of pain which affect my concentration at times.

The day I wrote the post, I did not click on names as I do not want to view others' profiles. Reading this, I went back and believe I was looking at names with a photo or green check and photo... no star. I clicked on the names and you are right, it opens the JOIN HERE page. That is definitely my error. So sorry to raise that red flag! Embarassed

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM - Response #19

That's OK, because when I reported it to the programmer, I also didn't click on any of the classmates that looked like they were unlocked. The assigned programmer had to correct me.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.