ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Edit Announcement on Home Page Dropped Content Below Right Side Boxes

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/28/10 12:43 PM Views: 1496 Replies: 7
Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I tried to replace a photo and text of Announcement on the Home Page, but when I did, it dropped the entire announcement below the right hand boxes. What Happened? I'll leave it up and inactive for a while. Thanks.
Greg

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM - Response #1

Hi Greg, try scaling down your "washington.jpg" photo to 398 pixels (I've standardized at 390). At 500 (current value) it won't fit in the area where you have both right and left "bars" that CC puts up. You end up with all of our announcements pushed down below the right side boxed content.

Here's a post in the forum about size limitations: CLICK HERE

Edited 10/28/10 1:44 PM
Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM - Response #2

OK I scaled down the photo size but everything is still dropped down below the right side boxes. Did I inadvertently also make the text too large? It all fit before I changed the picture. Thanks

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM - Response #3

Looks OK in Firefox.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 3:58 PM - Response #4

Indeed, Firefox does look fine... however IE does push down the page. I'm just guessing that the content was created in another program, such as MS Word and copied and pasted to the page. Regardless, the cause of the issue are all the hard spaces that are included in the code. If you run the following characters together: & n b s p ; (I added spaces so it would not show up as a space), it is called a non breaking space. You have long stretches of these run together in your source for the announcement. Here is one of them:

&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;&nb sp;

When rendered in IE - the spaces do not wrap and cause the area to be wider than allowed. Firefox allows for the spaces to break to a new line.

View your source and remove as many of these as possible. AND - if you use another program to format your content, please use the Paste From Word (Clipboard with a W) to paste the content... this will remove extra markup.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM - Response #5

Thanks I'll work on that, but I thought I had simply typed the text in the edit section of the site.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM - Response #6

Then, possibly you tried using the spacebar to format and move text around? I believe that may add these at times as well.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM - Response #7

Hi Greg, the page looks OK now (viewing with IE8 browser), were the exraneous spaces the problem???

I notice you still have a couple of instances of using spaces (nbsp) to center the caption under the photo.

You might want to remove the spaces, and use "center" formatting.

Aside: the caption says "Washtington", there's an extra "T" after the "H" I'm guessing?

Edited 10/28/10 7:00 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.