ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Yearbook pictures

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/01/08 08:32 AM Views: 2291 Replies: 11
Monday, December 1, 2008 at 8:32 AM

I several of the sites I have seen the cover of the their yearbook and by touching the yearbook the pages turn and shows all the year's graduates. It looks really neat, but I have no idea how to go about it.

Do you have to scan each page into the computer and then bring it over and how do you get the pages to turn when you click it. I'm not real computer smart so I need it explained in detail.

Thanks for your help. People who answer questions, keep giving page references. I don't have pages appear on the questions on each of this forums.

Thanks
Connie

Monday, December 1, 2008 at 8:42 AM - Response #1

The name of the site that does this is "www.issuu.com". It is a free service. In order to use it, the document must be in PDF format. You can create a PDF file by installing a "PDF printer driver" (www.cutepdf.com is an example of a free one).

Then in your word processor, upload the pictures and label/caption them until everything is formatted how you want it. Print the document to PDF format (select the Cute PDF printer when asked where to print it to. It will ask you for a file name to save it to).

Then go to www.issuu.com. Create a free account and upload the PDF file. You can then select the background color and other options. Before you leave issuu.com, grab the html code to embed the object into your webpage.

Go back to your home page and edit the page you want to insert the yearbook. Click on the SOURCE button before pasting the embed code.

It isn't too hard (after the word processing document is created).

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 at 7:32 PM - Response #2

Hi Kyle,
I was running into problems trying to figure out the turning pages, as there wasn't much direction at the issuu site. Your explanation of December 1 did the trick. I've done a small test one and it worked. Thanks!
Diana

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 at 8:56 PM - Response #3

Diana Denholm wrote:

Hi Kyle,
I was running into problems trying to figure out the turning pages, as there wasn't much direction at the issuu site. Your explanation of December 1 did the trick. I've done a small test one and it worked. Thanks!
Diana

Glad I could help.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 2:29 PM - Response #4

Well, I have created a test booklet. It works ok, but need to clean some things up. The reunion booklet that I am scanning is not full page, so I wanted to crop it and clean it up. At what point is this done? I have looked at my scanner options, MS word, I have tried changing the scanned copies into different formats? I cant seem to figure it out.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 4:03 PM - Response #5

I got it! Whew! I used Microsoft Office Document Imaging. Im not sure how I got there, but it allows me to scan all my documents into one document, edit,etc. I created a test document and uploaded to ISSUU. It works!

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM - Response #6

Brad, could you please take a look at this booklet I put together for our 20th Reunion? Does it look appropriate, can I make it larger?

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 7:23 PM - Response #7

Where do I find this booklet?

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM - Response #8

On my webpage? Under the 20 year link?

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 7:30 PM - Response #9

Sorry, it would be the "20th Class Reunion" link....

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 7:45 PM - Response #10

The size of the plugin itself on your page is fine, although I suspect you can make it larger if you want in the code. I'd put something under it that says something like:

"Click on the booklet above to see it at a larger size in a new window."

Once in that window there are further controls to go into "full screen" mode to see it really large.

Having said that, it look like the initial scans really weren't true full page scans. Maybe 3/4ths size. Unfortunately that makes the text just a tad hard to read even when in "full screen" mode. It's not bad overall, but if you want to get all technical here, it would be better if the pages were truly full pages so the text and everything else were slightly larger.

Edited 01/03/09 8:05 PM
Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 7:50 PM - Response #11

You are right, they were not full pages. Ok, that helps me for next time! Thanks so much for your help. You guys are great!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.