ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Security On Pages In Vault

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/01/15 04:54 PM Views: 1256 Replies: 7
Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 4:54 PM

I just happened to stumble upon something this morning that concerns me. Here is what happened:

- I did a google search on the name of one of my websites without the.com

- the first result shown was for my website and there were 6 pages listed as links.

- One of these links was to a .pdf file I had in my vault which has not been displayed on the website for several years. However - the full page displayed. It contained information that I did not want out to the general public so I went to the vault and deleted it and now if I follow that link I get a 404 error.

My questions are: Is there a way to see what pages link to a document in my vault? If a page, itself, is marked for logged in members only, could someone still see this vault file page by following the link?

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 5:36 PM - Response #1

Barbara Fiore - Plainedge '64 Web Administrator wrote:

Is there a way to see what pages link to a document in my vault?

Not currently, but that's a great concept.

Quote:
If a page, itself, is marked for logged in members only, could someone still see this vault file page by following the link?

Yes. File vault files (if one has the link) can be viewed by anyone.

Restricting file vault access would make life pretty difficult for managing a site. Only easy way is all or nothing. So if file vault was restricted to logged in only you couldn't have a home page that showed anything from the file vault Exclamation

One solution is to store files at another location and give access per person.

Edited 07/01/15 5:37 PM
Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 8:24 PM - Response #2

I have never heard of a vault for Class Creator pages. Could someone explain what they are and how they are used? Thanks.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 8:35 PM - Response #3

All your uploaded images for a Gallery or just your photos are stored in the "File Vault". Also MP3 if using CC player. You can also manually upload anything directly too that you link to directly.

In the Editor there are two places you can see these:

1. The Image icon upper left - select File Vault. That's also where the gallery photos reside.
2. The Link icon 2nd row, 3rd from the right - select File Vault. All other manually uploaded files.
3. Don't remember where MP3 can be found, but it's part of the file vault storage capacity.

Photos/videos in profiles are not shown here.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 6:08 PM - Response #4

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Jack,

That is acceptable. However I am talking about a situation where the link was not shared with anyone but the page was found by Google. That is the part that bothers me.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 7:19 PM - Response #5

Barbara,

If I understand what you said, your PDF file was on a non-password protected page at one time. Google most likely indexed that page at that time and saved the link to the PDF file in it's indexes. Even though you then disable the page, the PDF file was also indexed and so it could still be accessed.

There is no way for Google to index your File Vault for different files without you providing a link to those files on a page that Google can index.

Friday, July 31, 2015 at 9:36 AM - Response #6

Barbara Fiore - Plainedge '64 Web Administrator wrote:

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Jack,

That is acceptable. However I am talking about a situation where the link was not shared with anyone but the page was found by Google. That is the part that bothers me.

HELP !! I am now on another of my websites. Although I said above that this was acceptable, I now find a situation where it is NOT acceptable for all file vault files to be accessible by anyone.

On this website I have Admin Forums activated and they are accessible by only a small handful of people (about 6). The reason for that is that there are sensitive documents in there which are NOT to be seen by others. Quite by accident, I found that by entering the url for one of the docs in my vault which is referenced in the Admin Forums (while logged out of the website - as a perfect stranger), My doc came up. I then checked my others and the same thing occurred. There is no place that I can find to password protect these forum pages or the vault. There is no other location that I can find to store these documents.

Friday, July 31, 2015 at 11:21 AM - Response #7

Not sure what is meant by "accident". If you've ever accessed the link to something in the file vault, your browser will 'remember' that name and auto-complete as you type. Doesn't matter if you are logged in or not.

Other than that, it's unlikely but not impossible for someone to fish for file names. That presumes that someone has time to kill and that the data somehow has value.

The only way currently to PW protect file vault data is to store them at another site that requires one to log in to see them. Opendrive is one site you could use. Free and lots of space. Bandwidth is not an issue for what you require.

Website Administrator wrote:

Quite by accident, I found that by entering the url for one of the docs in my vault which is referenced in the Admin Forums (while logged out of the website - as a perfect stranger), My doc came up. I then checked my others and the same thing occurred. There is no place that I can find to password protect these forum pages or the vault. There is no other location that I can find to store these documents.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.