ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Subscription Status and Rate Increases

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/27/10 08:51 PM Views: 4560 Replies: 15
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Our Subscription Status is Premium Member. What does this mean, why do we have this status, and what are the other types of Subscription Status?

In FAQ, CC says “… we pledge not to increase rates more than a maximum of 6% in any calendar year.” Does this include all improvements, or might we be charged some kind of premium for access to new features?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 10:37 PM - Response #1

A good and timely question, thanks for asking Lane. "Premium Member" basically just means you're a paying member. You get all of the features listed on our Pricing page with the guarantee of continuing to have those features available to you with rate increases no more than 6% in any calendar year (by the way we've never increased our Premium Member rates in our history although at some point I'm sure we will slightly).

We will shortly release a new Membership Type called the Platinum Membership. Why? Because people are running out of File Vault space and frankly our current $3 per month fee for 50 megs of additional File Vault blocks is too expensive. Back "in the day" it was nearly inconceivable that people would use up more than 200 megs of space for a class web site and literally nobody did. But that was pre MP3 playlist feature, Gallery Creator feature and a whole lot more. With the appetite for space and transfer ballooning we can only offer so much for $9 per month, thus the new Platinum Member type has been developed. While you can't upgrade to it just yet (the programming formulas for the upgrade are rather elaborate) we have been manually upgrading people to Platinum Status who ask.

So what do Platinum members get? Namely 2 things, although I've got another couple more on the backburner that I can't mention just yet:

1) A gig of File Vault storage and transfer -- a 500% increase over the Platinum Member level. This is mainly for "power users" who are heavily using playlist and community galleries and a few other site features heavily.

2) True POP3 email boxes on the system, not just email forwarding ability that currently is available through Classnames.net. I.E. Platinum Members will have the ability to create real email boxes on the system and store email there. They'll also be able to update their Preferences page so their outgoing site emails (for instance when you use the Email The Class feature) come from their own domain name rather than from our noreply@classcreator.net address. People don't like this address and for good reason. People don't recognize it, it gets opened less as a result, and over the years it has become apparent it gets caught up in spam filters more than ever before. A real email address that matches the site will be far more likely to get through today's rigorous spam filtering technologies that are often blocking real emails.

Platinum Member pricing will be as follows:

Monthly: $16
1 Year: $179
3 Year: $449
5 Year: $649
10 Year: $999

Anyone can upgrade right now by request by completing our Contact Us form. The membership level will be available in the system shortly. It may be awhile yet before we have the email services fully configured to send from your own domain name but that should all happen shortly.

FYI when something like this is added questions abound from people concerned they are going to lose something they've already got so let me put those types of concerns to rest before they arise. The Platinum Membership level upgrade is OPTIONAL, and is happening primarily because many sites simply need more space. Space and transfer costs real money. Current Premium Members will continue to receive the vast majority of features under development and upcoming features that will be under development. E.G. we're not going to favor Platinum Members over Premium Members in terms of receiving most upcoming new features, we're just passing along the costs of hosting super large web sites for those who wish to do so.

Edited 10/27/10 11:41 PM
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM - Response #2

I assume that we can switch over to the platinum planat any time? At this time, I still have lots of photo space, but plan to load on reunion photos, etc. soon....if I find that my space is becoming limited, can I switch at that time? Does ClassCreator warn us when we are using up most of our photo space?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 at 11:39 PM - Response #3

No we don't send a specific warning about File Vault space usage, however every area of the system that utilizes File Vault space shows how much you're currently using and how much you have available. Yes, once the Platinum Membership officially exists you'll be able to upgrade yourself at any time.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 1:18 AM - Response #4

Brad,
We are "grandfathers" on this site. We joined while it was still free. I'm still confused about what we get and what we don't. At some point do we need to pay? Your rates are not that bad and I'm sure a couple of people in our class would pay if we asked for help. One already volunteered and paid for domain name for 5 years.
Lara

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 6:12 AM - Response #5

I am the administrator for 2 grandfathered sites and also wonder about what happens when our file fault is full. It seems to me that our present status--grandfathered--has no real meaning if we have to restrict our site to the present allowable size or switch to a paying status, no matter how reasonable the rates may be.

I would like to suggest that those who are grandfathered pay your additional cost for space or whatever comes in the future.

Thanks, Carole

Edited 10/28/10 6:50 AM
Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 7:16 AM - Response #6

I better give a quick history lesson so newer classes (any classes that have joined within the past 2 years) understand what "grandfathered" means.

The first Class Creator system was free. It didn't do much vs. what the system does today, so it was pretty easy to run it free. Then people began requesting features that were either expensive for us to develop or expensive to host. For instance the Live Chat with streaming webcam video that takes up tremendous bandwidth. Features like that, that were never part of the original system, were developed and put under the "Premium" Membership 2 years ago to support their existence.

Move 2 years down the road to the present. New features like Playlists and Gallery Creator are causing Admins to reach the once inconceivable 200 meg File Vault limit. So we've reached a time where a new Membership Level is necessary. Storage and transfer today is fortunately cheap vs. costs in the past, but still do incur a real cost. For instance most people don't realize it but all of your Gallery Creator images are served directly from the Amazon.com cloud. The transfer of every image has a microcent cost. Nonetheless, members choosing to upgrade to Platinum will still be able to run an entire web site for about the cost of 4 Classmates participating on a well known popular Classmate networking system. Even 3 or 4 years ago this would have been impossible.

There's plenty of sites running in grandfathered status to this day quite fine and that will continue to be the case after the launch of the Platinum Membership level. There are no "second class citizens" here. They're not taking advantage of things like webcam enabled Live Chat or Gallery Creator but for many classes these kinds of features are niceties vs. necessities. The vast majority of new features including things that fall into the necessity column are still made available to grandfathered sites to this day and that will not be changing.

Edited 10/28/10 7:51 AM
Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 7:37 AM - Response #7

Lara Johnson wrote:

Brad,
We are "grandfathers" on this site. We joined while it was still free. I'm still confused about what we get and what we don't. At some point do we need to pay? Your rates are not that bad and I'm sure a couple of people in our class would pay if we asked for help. One already volunteered and paid for domain name for 5 years.
Lara

Click your Subscription link and you'll see the following:

* Unlimited Threaded Message Forums.

* 200 megabytes of file storage space.

* Personal backup archive. Easily restore your prior work if you make a mistake.

* Integrated Live Chat feature with webcams, YouTube videos, and photo sharing.

* Site-wide Instant Messaging system.

You'll see you have a free preview button if you want to see these features without having to upgrade.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 9:11 AM - Response #8

Right now I guess I am the only "Grandfathered" site that has actually run out of space (I'm so proud). I now am having to go into my file vault and delete old stuff in order to put in something new and have already run into the problem of deleting something of importance by mistake. If anyone has a nice way of asking for classmates to help pay I would love to be a premium member so we can enjoy some of the other perks that the grandfathered sites do not receive.

Thanks,
Dawn

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 9:13 AM - Response #9

Definitely the Donate module.

1) Click Edit Site Pages
2) Click the Edit button next to home page
3) Place a checkmark next to the Donate module
4) Click Manage Donations and follow the instructions on screen

This is a nice voluntarily way for Classmates to contribute. I can't begin to tell you how many stores we've heard about people turning this on and having 1 lone Classmate fund the site for 10 years. So you never know. If you don't want to pressure people simply turn it on and see what happens. If you want to add a little encouragement try using the Email The Class feature to let people know donations are now possible.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM - Response #10

It is well worth the cost of the premium membership. You will be surprised how much your classmates appreciate this service and will donate. In two years since starting this, I have never had to ASK for donations. We have now formed a 501c3 and our 'little site' has now funded scholarships and provided funding for many programs of our school discrict. In the last 2 years, we have taken in over 40K in funding from classmates and the community. Yes, I said 40,0000.

The benefits of the premium site pays for it self many times over.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM - Response #11

I had the donate button activated for about a year now and recently took it off since I needed to make some changes to it. I have only had a handful donate money and not sure what I am doing wrong. I am one not to ask for money but I will add that most of my classmates are sort of "old school" (no pun intended) and not much on change. They all know our site is grandfathered in for free and when I did a poll about the Chat Room and IM, no one really seemed thrilled. I could really use some advise on how to approach them using the right words without feeling like I am begging. Once I have that I will activate the DONATE button once again.

WOW! $40,000? Alumni Guy, we need to talk. What are you doing that I am not? I am so embarrassed to say I have only $113.22 left in our website checking account (not our reunion account). This is why I never made it as an Avon lady! Laughing I need serious help here guys.

Thanks for any advise given,
Dawn

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 3:55 PM - Response #12

Dawn: Here's the wording I used on our Donate page. 30 donations (~12% of those we had email address for) of about $4,000 total came in. None lately.

Quote:

We welcome your donation of $50 or $100 to help underwrite the costs of the 2011 50th Reunion of the Class of 1961.

Your donation will provide funds in the weeks ahead to make deposits to reserve the venues for the various events of the reunion and to pay for communications to class members including this website and mailings this year and next.

We'll also use donations to help underwrite the costs of the reunion events to keep the ticket price for each event within the reach of each class member while providing a first class experience for all.

Donors' names will be listed on this page (unless you request anonymity.) The amount of individual donations will not be listed.

[XXX} has agreed to serve as treasurer for the 50th Class Reunion.

To make a donation, send a personal check or money order payable to: "{XXXX}, PHHS 1961 Reunion" and mail to:

Edited 10/28/10 3:57 PM
Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM - Response #13
cookiesintraycute.gif

Congratulations "Alumni Guy" on a most successful site and donation status! Please share your wisdom and successful experience with us!
Dawn,
Your note made me laugh, I am also unable to "collect"money for anything without a bit of "guilt", but after "funding" the site for a ten year rate, quite a bargain, I am going to activate the "donation" feature after the New Year. This is in hopes and faith that "what will be, will be", trusting that it will "pay for itself" in re-connections,etc.
Our reunion was a "success" only because of this site, and so many realized that they had "missed" the connections of special folks,etc...it was one of those "priceless" experiences that will never be worthy of a price tag. For this alone, I am so very thankful to Brad and his humble crew for helping me "look good" and almost like "i knew something about something"! Little did any of them know that I could barely get my e-mail before this ClassCreator experience!
Anyway, what i am trying to say, although indirectly, is that the "features" are amazing, although many will never relay that information back to you in such words. One classmate shared his "instant messaging" joy with me, about reconnecting with two of his good friends...i have not figured it all out yet, but others have and it is "priceless". (I really love the back-up feature! Thanks so much!)
While we still "compete" with Facebook, this site is a "private" treasure" that I am confident will "pay off" in more ways than we will ever know! It falls along that trendy saying "pay it forward"...but what goes around, really does come around and I am looking forward to some "tips" from "Alumni Guy" and others on how to do this "without asking"!
One classmate said to me "You know, if people only knew, they would be more than willing to help with donations"...our "donation" jar was blessed many times over on the night of the reunion, but that was used to "bless others" in need at the reunion and meet a few extra expenses...i still haven't told anyone that there is a "fee" for the site...but after the New Year, i may just put a little blurb on the Homepage...Any and all suggestions are more than welcome!
Thanks, Dawn...i usually end up "buying" stuff at those 'parties" that i'll never use, no pink cadillac" for me, ever! Ohwell! Chocolate chip cookies for everyone!
Thanks again to Brad and his humble Miracle workers!

By the way, there are some most excellent recipes/ideas at www.kingarthurflour.com
Everything is quite tasty, "no fail" and teenage boy/young man approved! Add a tsp instant coffee to your chocolate chip cookies,brownies or chocolate cake to zip em' up a bit! How can butter and sour cream go wrong" (Wisconsin Butter, of course!) And the pizza crusts...both the Chicago style and the regular are most amazing...you'll never go out for pizza again! And use Wisconsin cheese, of course! California cows may be "happy cows" but they are most tasty from Wisconsin! Mangia!!
Have Fun!

kris

Edited 10/28/10 4:23 PM
Monday, February 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM - Response #14

Once we move from a grandfathered site to a paid site (either premium or platinum) can we ever go back?

Also, I am still a bit confused at the the the exact differences between my free grandfathered site and the premium site. How much space do I have currently? Is the photo gallery function available to me now?

We had our reunion 5 years ago and the site has pretty much been sitting there without much action or attention for the last four years but we need to start using it again for our next upcoming reunion this year...

Dan

Monday, February 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM - Response #15

Dan,

As you know, but for others who might be reading this.... Free (grandfathered) sites are no longer offered. They only had 25 MB of storage for their file vault.

You can find out how much file vault storage you are using by clicking on the Gallery Creator link.

Once you are grandfathered, you will always be grandfathered. It depends upon the date you created the website. So if you decide to stop paying the premium subscription, you would just not be able to upload any more photos (assuming you are over the limit). If you decide to go back to grandfathered after you have been at Premium for a while and your storage usage is a lot more than the storage limit of 25mb, we would probably have to start deleting your files to bring you back into compliance of the 25MB limit. Or we would ask that you delete the files so that you could make the choices and which pages are affected by the change.

You can switch from FREE to PREMIUM as much as you want, but when you switch back to FREE, we would ask that you clean up your file vault usage to be about 25 MB of storage.

YES, the photo gallery function is available to you now (click on Gallery Creator). FREE sites only have 3 user forums (not unlimited). Since you are over the limit of 25MB right now, you wouldn't be able to upload any photos to the photo gallery.

Your File Vault information (found on the Gallery Creator page) : Currently storing 38.62 MB of available 25 MB (at 154.47% capacity).

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.