ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Bounced email

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/02/10 11:20 AM Views: 1402 Replies: 4
Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I received a message that I had 5 bounced emails. It was a message from ClassCreator "What've You been up to? My own email address was listed as being bounced back. However, I remember getting the email to update my profile..

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM - Response #1

Emails can bounce for a variety of reasons. Within every bounce is a stated reason why the email bounced. More often than not it's because an email address is no longer valid. But sometimes it can be thinks like the user's email box is over quota and its' temporarily rejecting email until the mailbox holder cleans it up. If the reason for any bounced email is unclear to you just copy and paste it here and I'll tell you why it bounced.

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM - Response #2

All of them but one seem to be from the same E-mail provider (assuming charter.net is the same as chartermi.net)

All four have this similar message in the bounceback

Sat 2010-01-02 09:52:10: * P=010 S=000 D=chartermi.net TTL=(847) MX=[ib1.charter.net] {216.33.127.20}
Sat 2010-01-02 09:52:10: Attempting SMTP connection to [216.33.127.20:25]
Sat 2010-01-02 09:52:10: * 216.33.127.20 in connection failure cache for up to 5 minutes due to previous connection failure(s)
Sat 2010-01-02 09:52:10: This message is 1 days old; it has 0 days left to get delivered

Edited 01/02/10 11:42 AM
Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 11:46 AM - Response #3

I've never seen that reason for a bounceback before. My assumption on this one would be one of two things:

1) Their email server was having problems and as a result kicked back the email.

2) The charter.net email server may have some type of spam protection that looks for multiple rapid emails and they didn't like how many were coming in all at once. We designed our email system to send large emails in small groups every 10 minutes to circumvent some of these types of catches, but it's possible it didn't work anyway in the case of this particualr provider. I'd retry sending those 4 messages manually now, I doubt they'll bounce again.

Saturday, January 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM - Response #4

This message must have been sent out by ClassCreator under my name. I did get the email Jan 1st telling me to keep my profile up todate. When I got this message that 5 were being bounced back, one of the ones bounced back was mine @chartermi along with the other charter addresses. Over the years they have told me that my email address @chartermi is OK, they say my email goes through Michigan. I could change it to @charter but would have to let EVERYONE know of my address change. I think as long as I got the original message I bet the other did too. I'm not going to worry about it, and see if it happens again.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.