ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Eliminate hard spacing between lines

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/26/18 05:54 PM Views: 519 Replies: 10
Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 5:54 PM

I use to be able to add the HTML code into the source code to eliminate the spacing between lines but now it doesn't appear to work. I got this coding from a Class Creator Forum post around 2008 below.

[list=]
"Answer: The Class Creator system has some built in functions that help you space things correctly. Most of the time these built in functions are beneficial, but every now and then may be preventing you from creating the exact spacing you are desiring. If this is happening to you, click on your "Source" button, and at the top of your source code on its own blank line, paste in this code:

Make sure you paste in the entire code above, complete with opening and closing carrot brackets. When you do this you are telling our system to discontinue helping you with spacing issues, and honor 100% of your html code exactly as you've entered it. If you are having any issues with html and display, try putting the tag above at the top of your source code, and the issue will likely be
[/list]solved."

Is there a now new process for eliminating line spaces or am I doing some thing wrong?

Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 1:56 AM - Response #1

Here's a simple way to eliminate the spacing between lines, i.e. change from double spacing to single spacing between lines:

In the image editor, third row, second box in, labeled "Format", the default is "Normal (...", which results in double spacing.

Scroll down to the bottom and click on "Normal (DIV)", which results in single spacing.

I always use "Normal (DIV") for all my pages. Works like a charm.

Edited 09/27/18 2:34 AM
Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 10:00 AM - Response #2

Thanks Scott,
Will that result in changing all pages to single spacing? I just need to change to single spacing to adjust a list of names on our 55th reunion page that are double spaced.

Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 10:30 AM - Response #3

Scott,
Sorry I didn't read your statement more thoroughly. I already am using single (normal) spacing. What I'm trying to do is eliminate the spacing all together just for for the list of names on the 55th reunion page.
Dan

Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 11:10 AM - Response #4

Dan,
I screwed up a little in my first response.

The Format setting for double spacing is "Normal". The Format setting for single spacing is "Normal (DIV)."

If you want the list of names on the 55th reunion page to be single spaced, highlight the list of names and change the format to Normal (DIV). The list will automatically become single spaced.

You determine whether you want single or double spaced on each page, and, actually on each line of text, by selecting Normal or Normal (DIV) for the Format.

Edited 09/27/18 11:21 AM
Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 11:43 AM - Response #5

Scott,
Got it. Actually what I want is no spacing between the names in the list.

Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 12:14 PM - Response #6

When you say no spacing between the names, to me that is the same as single spacing, i.e. one name lines up under the next without a blank line in between. When I look at your 55th reunion page right now, I see double spacing, i.e. a blank line between each name. That means you must have Normal selected under Format. Highlight the names, then, under Format, scroll down and select Normal (DIV), the bottom-most choice, and you'll have no spacing between the names.

You'll go from:

Eldon Todd

Gail (Downing) Olson

to:

Eldon Todd
Gail (Downing( Olson

Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 12:19 PM - Response #7

Go into SOURCE mode, remove the < p and < /p > (blanks here so it doesn't "translate" in this post) and then add < br / > at the end. The fast way to do this is put into notepad and the find replace. Then paste that in SOURCE mode back into the editor.

There should be a < p at the first one and and ending < /p > at the end.

When you create this again, don't press enter, but instead press SHIFT+ENTER.

That's sort of the same as "normal (DIV)" I think if you select them all it will modify correctly.

Edited 09/27/18 12:22 PM
Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 12:39 PM - Response #8

Thanks Scott (and Jack)
I now see, says the blind man.
I didn't recognize at first the Normal (Div) was different from normal, if I have that right.
Anyway, it worked, and I don't have to work with HTML coding.
Thanks so much
Dan

Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 1:00 PM - Response #9

Dan, you are right that Normal (Div) (single or no spacing) is different than Normal (double spacing). Don't worry about being blind, we're all blind from time to time!

Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 1:20 PM - Response #10

Technically you could use CSS to control the paragraph spacing to anything you want. If interested, see margin-top, margin-bottom. Use Negative values to reduce spacing, positive to increase. Here's one I called zerospace

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.