ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Hidden links

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/11/13 03:35 PM Views: 883 Replies: 10
Monday, February 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I need a new page that does not show on the menu but PW protected and can be reached through a link on an active public page.

Is there another way besides creating an inactive Gallery Navigation page with an active Gallery page?

I'm getting confused by all the drill-downs from the Edit Site Pages with their own direct subpages, and some going to the entire Gallery Creator menu and all its subgalleries. It's like doing a tax return, by the time I get to what I wanted I've forgotten how I got there and what I was trying to do!

Monday, February 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM - Response #2

Jack nailed it. Copy the value from the Web Address field and use that as the link URL.

Monday, February 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM - Response #3

Maybe I have a different problem.

This one works:
sphsaa.org/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_link_id=12592

But that doesn't work:
sphsaa.org/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_link_id=28273

Both are under Nav pages that are inactive but are themselves marked active.

But I also have to point out that it's hard to get the web address of a page that isn't published. All I get is the edit mode URL. I had to extricate that page number and put it into a working URL.

Edited 02/11/13 6:29 PM
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM - Response #4

Mary - Please test again. The programmer has made an adjustment in the last hour or so.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM - Response #5

Nope. Of those two links above, the first still works and the second only goes to the home page.

I also tried it substituting page number 28270 in the working link, that one being only a jpeg on the page so I'm pretty sure it's not something in the source code, and that doesn't go anywhere either.

The Gallery Nav page is *Reunion Details, page # 14369 (not active) and the two pages I need to link to are at the bottom.

In the working link, the inactive Nav page 12592 is DELETING COOKIES. So both Navigationg pages are inactive and the gallery pages are active.

Am I missing something obvious?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM - Response #6

If you give us a URL, please also provide the Link Label so we can find the page and see the settings.
I can load both *Reunion Details, page # 14369 and DELETING COOKIES #12592 , but cannot load sphsaa.org/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_link_id=28273.
What is the label on the latter one?

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM - Response #7

Label: 1983 Reunion 7/13/2013

sphsaa.org/class_admin_gallery_form.cfm?gallery_id=28270&whattodo=Edit
or
sphsaa.org/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_link_id=28270

Label: 1973 Reunion 6/28-6/30

sphsaa.org/class_admin_gallery_form.cfm?gallery_id=28273&whattodo=Edit
or
sphsaa.org/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_link_id=28273

Those two are the ones under *Reunion Details that I can't get to work. sphsaa.org/class_admin_gallery_form.cfm?gallery_link_id=14369&whattodo=Edit_link

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM - Response #8

You can't get them to show up as pages because they are galleries, not pages. Galleries are displayed ON pages.
The gallery "1983 Reunion 7/13/2013" is set to display on the PAGE "*Reunion Details" which you currently have inactive.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM - Response #9

That's what I don't understand - why does Deleting Cookies work, then? It's set up that way, with its navigation page inactive also?

But regardless, then how do I create a page that is NOT shown on the menu and only shows when you link to it? It seems like if it's active, it comes up on the menu.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM - Response #10

Because DELETING COOKIES is a *page* not a *gallery*. If you look at them in the Gallery Creator, PAGES have blue backgrounds in the table, GALLERIES have white backgrounds in the table.

To create a hidden page, click the "Add Link" button at the top of the Edit Site Pages page. The link you add will then be active on the system, but will only show up as a link in the navigation if you check its Active box.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.