ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Embedding video to site, then to disc

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/27/13 05:57 AM Views: 1259 Replies: 14
Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Well, I'm stuck again. I'm trying to embed a Video to my website, and then from there to a disc. I'm doing it in 2 steps because pressing the embed button on the site is the only way that I know to do it.
I go to 'youtube', copy the video with their embeWd button, go to the website, press embed button, then paste. I tried to transfer it to a disc -- nothing happens. What am I forgetting? The item in mention is a 1965 'Frank Sinatra Spectacular' for 1 hr 30 min. and it's under 'Old Brooklyn' page on my site. It doesn't appear if you enter as a stranger, only as logged in.
Barbara

Edited 04/27/13 6:07 AM
Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM - Response #1

When you embed a video from youTube, you are not really getting the video file on your site, but rather just placing the code for a player that reaches out to YouTube to play the video that is still hosted on YouTube. I do not believe YouTube allows you to simply "save" their videos to your computer. So you will not be able to simply save it and add it to a disc.

Anyone else with any idea on how to do this, please jump in with your thoughts.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM - Response #2

A program can do this.

One is called "Replay Video Capture". Works like Jing, except you get a copy on your system. Don't remember the exact cost, but might be $25.

There are also some others I ran across. All cost some small amount.

Similarly there are audio capture programs that work even better. They directly download the music just about instantly.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM - Response #3

I have Camtasia (Jing on steroids and also by TechSmith), but that software is much more than necessary for a one time use.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM - Response #4

Isn't it just a question of solving the problem and cost?

The program I mention is very simple to use, because it's dedicated to that -one- feature and very cheap compared to Camtasia.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM - Response #5

Of course. Your suggestion would be much better than anything I could have suggested since my only experience was with Camtasia. I just knew that if I put the question out there for an admin to pick up that a suggestion would be made by someone. Smile Thanks

Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM - Response #6

I went by memory before. There's another program by the same company called "Replay Media Catcher" that does BOTH music and video and downloads it directly vs screen capture. IOW, no screen rectangle, no mess, no fuss, just Downloads the raw file.

I normally use this for music that's why I forgot about the video aspect.

Very fast, extremely simple, well worth it. Here's the LINK

$50 but the best $50 you'll ever spend.

Edited 05/02/13 1:00 PM
Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM - Response #7

Thanks Scot, I see what you're saying. Boy, in 2 1/2 yrs I've learned as much as I would have taking computer classes, but have had a lot more more fun, costing a lot less. I think what you're saying is that I'm borrowing the code through copying the html, but youtube is keeping control by not allowing me to copy it a 2nd time and then having it disappear from their control. Am I close?
And Jack, thank you. I definitely would like to copy that link. Tell me, if I pay, say $50, and am able to copy a video, do I then own it enough to put it on a disc? and, lastly, is the amount per usage time, or per video?
Thanks again to both of you.
Barbara

Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM - Response #8

Two part answer:

1. The rights to the video (or music) one downloads always remains with the original person/company.

2. Realistically, what one can do is make copies for your own use (and limited sharing).

You can download (make copies of) an unlimited amount of videos or music to whatever media you like. It stores the file in a special folder described later.

To burn (put the file on) a CD/DVD, just drag the file(s) to a blank disc and off you go.

There's one BIG little issue though. The new version (5) is way more complicated than the old version (4). It both does more but it takes way more effort to figure it out. Old version was point and shoot.

So here's how to download a video from YouTube.

First time you get a special start screen. Click Close (white X) on the startup help screen (Uncheck the bottom right -Show At Start- if you don't want to see it again)

1. Click Internet (top line next to File)
2. Click Manual Download
3. Select -YouTube Video Page- from the dropdown list (default is normal)
4. Next line -Enter the URL of the YouTube Video (same one you use for Embedding)

Then it asks if you want to download this video. Say OK and the file will download to the default folder (you can change this in Internet then Settings/Library).

Video file is now stored on Your computer. Runs very fast - depending on connection speed of course.

Edited 05/02/13 8:59 PM
Friday, May 3, 2013 at 3:21 AM - Response #9

Thanks a bunch Jack.
All I want to do is put a 90 minute "Frank Sinatra Spectacular" close circuited in 1965 on a DVD so we can watch it on a big screen. I found it on you tube a month ago. I had seen the original, live, years ago and didn't think a tape of it existed. Now that his estate has the rights (Barbara Marx Sinatra), who knows how long it will remain on youtube.
That has already happened to me with some apparently private Elvis videos that I downloaded for my site. I went back to the site to update and add more songs and found some missing. I'd like to get this while it's still allowable.
Barbara

Friday, May 3, 2013 at 4:02 AM - Response #10

Kyle, Scot, Jack, Gwen, or anyone --
If I may pick your brain one last time --
At my Reunion I had 6 throw away cameras, & 2 digital ones. Needless to say I came away with tons of pictures over the course of 3 days. Well, I had them developed on to individual discs (at Walgreens) and put the ones I wanted to save for the "Disc of the Reunion" on my site in an 'empty location'. Now I like to not only pick and choose the photos and captions to put on the finalized disc, but also rearrange the order in which they will appear. I hid it in a logged in, non active, "Empty Location" in the Announcements on the Homepage so that I may continue to work on the discs nightly. I have 14 bought and paid for already so it's difficult for me to get the discs out in a timely manner with my hunt and peck methodology. Am I able to merely copy and paste the order in which I would like the photos and captions to appear; or is there a better methodology of putting the photos together chronilogically onto the disc. I'm just doing it one at a time. If I could form a procedure or a template to put these pics on a disc, I think I could work it out. I have 14 orders for discs. I just need to be able to make them. Any help?
Barbara
PS--Sorry for the redundancy. It's late for me.
BE

Edited 05/03/13 4:12 AM
Friday, May 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM - Response #11

I would use a program from your computer, such as Google Picasa, to create your slide show which you can then save to be placed on a disc. My wife has used Picasa to do this for us on our computer. Smile I'm sure there are other good programs that others can suggest.

Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM - Response #12

Scot,
That's fantastic. I spent all night choosing the pics, editing them (cropping, brightness,etc.), organizing chronilogically, tagging, and writing little quips under the photos. I have close to 150 photos after deleting the redundant ones and the (what I call) the superfluous ones. I am selling them for $10 to the alumni. I don't think that's too bad. After I send them I will post about 10 photos on the site to entice more buyers.
I have to do it this weekend because I'm going turkey hunting from the 8th to the 23rd.
Thank you Scot. I love it. You each have your own strong points. I think I'm going to use Jack's suggestion for the Sinatra video. You made this very terse and simple. Kyle has the patience of Job when it comes to technically challenged users and is very compassionate to us old broads.
Barbara Rolling EyesLaughing

Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM - Response #13

"Patience of Job" - I like that!

Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM - Response #14

Kool (my era spelling) !
Barbara

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.